The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Deedle
ooh more random info I know, there're 89 of us altogether (i.e. with the maths/compsci and 25% compscis) : )

If it includes all the NatScis, then wow! That's a lot less than I thought!
Reply 21
Deedle
There's 8 of us altogether, and only one 25% :P

Not really..
1) the above English argument
2) Pooling system (trust me I know, was pooled twice)

Actually, you're probably right. There's also the two Kazakstani girls and the 25% Italian one from New Hall? Newnam? Guess I was only a bit shift off :P. Which one are you then?
Reply 22
I'm Danielle : ) Have long hair and green messenger bag, tend to sit on the left hand side in java as you look at the board, because I come in late after running from geology...
Erm.. can you guess who it is yet? ; )

I don't think I properly know the Churchill compscis..
Reply 23
There was an article about this in the Guardian a while ago:
http://education.guardian.co.uk/higher/news/story/0,,2209741,00.html

Apparently it's because 'We don't portray ourselves to potential applicants in a contemporary way.'
Reply 24
Deedle
I'm Danielle : ) Have long hair and green messenger bag, tend to sit on the left hand side in java as you look at the board, because I come in late after running from geology...
Erm.. can you guess who it is yet? ; )

I don't think I properly know the Churchill compscis..

Well, I seem to remember during a Discrete Maths lecture the guy asked us to stick up our hands to illustrate some random point, you could have spotted us then. There's 8 of us in Churchill, which is the most you'll find in a single college. Not surprising that we haven't met though, lectures seem to just be 'show up and leave' and practicals are more focused on why the heck this particular bit of hardware isn't working. You can't really meet anyone.

Were you the blonde girl in my discrete maths presentation groups with Dr. Forster? We had them on Thursday mornings and we only got about 2 questions done per hour because the annoying Polish guy kept clarifying points.
Reply 25
SunderX
Were you the blonde girl in my discrete maths presentation groups with Dr. Forster? We had them on Thursday mornings and we only got about 2 questions done per hour because the annoying Polish guy kept clarifying points.

How typical, we compscis are getting to know each other online after 4 months of lectures together! :smile: You're probably the guy I sat next to during the seminars who volunteered for the last few questions after everyone got their ticks? Facebook? And the person you're talking about is Laura.
Reply 26
Uh oh dear. I've changed my name just so that people who don't know me will have a harder job working out who I am...
Deedee you're being slightly ridiculous - as you should well know there are no girls in compsci. So claiming you're one is plain lying!
Yuan - I'll introduce you to dee if you want. Just wait till lectures start again... And lectures aren't "show up and leave", they're more "show up, sit for 3 hours hungover, and then ask the dude how to do it". Worked for me!
Tomas - say hi to me, I'm not that scary after all. And, according to people in Caius, you should have made yourself known more in freshers week cause you already had a headstart as all the older years were amazed that there was a guy called 'fister'. (yes, pfister... I know...).
Reply 27
Tomas
How typical, we compscis are getting to know each other online after 4 months of lectures together! :smile: You're probably the guy I sat next to during the seminars who volunteered for the last few questions after everyone got their ticks? Facebook? And the person you're talking about is Laura.

Yep, you can probably tell, either from the arbitrary Chinese flag TSR puts in the corner or the fact that I wanted to slam my head into the bench during those seminars. You're Finnish then, Tomas? Might have told me sometime before, but I don't remember much from lectures :frown:. All I can think of right now is "cool, that guy from Nightwish is also called Tuomas, albeit spelled slightly differently".

mfb3000 - I presume this is Andrew again, since you're the only one who knows my real name on here. Ha! I blew your cover. You're going to have to change your name *again*.

Deedee - You can either wait for an introduction, or if you post more information up here, I can use my Cluedo-esque skills of deduction to figure out who you are.

For now, I'm getting back to the phy lab report I was supposed to do over the last four weeks...
Reply 28
Deedee - You can either wait for an introduction, or if you post more information up here, I can use my Cluedo-esque skills of deduction to figure out who you are.

Hum, cluedo-esque eh? Let's see..

1st term I pretty much lived in a grey coat, last term t'was black.. lol, I'm thinking of all the physical attributes you may guess me from.. As we have established, I am not Laura. I am from England. Oooh I'm scouse : ) Erm.. and I'm not the Italian 25%. So that leaves 3 of us. I have long blonde hair, so you're only really gonna get me mixed up with Sarah.. I often wear jeans, she often has skirts and leggings.

That's enough clues I think! You should know me :P If not, I'll see you Friday: )

And yay! Tomas has arrived :biggrin:
Reply 29
Deedee you're being slightly ridiculous - as you should well know there are no girls in compsci. So claiming you're one is plain lying!

Damn you found me out...
Reply 30
mfb3000
Tomas - say hi to me, I'm not that scary after all. And, according to people in Caius, you should have made yourself known more in freshers week cause you already had a headstart as all the older years were amazed that there was a guy called 'fister'. (yes, pfister... I know...).

Yeah Andrew, I'm Mister Fister. :biggrin:
:frown: i really want to get in now

oh well, time to hit the books for them grades :'( probably useless but ill hold a grain of hope till august :smile:
Reply 32
Computer Science was born at Cambridge! I would say it's one of if not the top place to go for CS in the uk. Then again, I'm biased :P I have seen quite a few league tables to that effect (although we all know how reliable they are...)

I would guess the reason why we don't get as many applicants as say Birmingham is because of the fierce reputation, I have spoken to many people who didn't even consider it and assumed they didn't have good enough grades. If all these marginal cases applied I'm sure we'd see a massive difference in the stats.
Yeah, mr Babbage came from Cambridge (if i remember correctly) :smile: Any why would no one consider the course ?! Its easy one of the most interesting, with the overlaps with EE and it's not even that competitive.. What are the chances of this trend continuing too? Ive heard numbers are going to drop for 2-3 years/maybe stabilise
well, demand and supply will stabilize themselves if market conditions don't change...

Latest

Trending

Trending