The Student Room Group

German Drinking Laws

Does anybody have any useful info on German drinking laws? I seem to be getting conflicting information from everywhere, including my rather unhelpful teacher.
I've chosen alcohol as a topic in my AS oral this week and I'm not entirely sure of the laws still :s-smilie:
Is the official drinking age 16, but you can drink with parents from 15? Because that seems to be the info I have currently.
Any help or sites would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
I *think* it's 16 for beer/wine, but 18 for spirits, not sure though.

Try some official German sites maybe?
Reply 2
i agree about that, i was in berlin earlier this year. also clubs arent meant to let u in if ur under 18
Reply 3
That's great thank yoou. I'll just say the drinking ages and then ignore any follow-up questions haha :biggrin:
Reply 4
Just swing the topic to drinking in general...

Oh, and have some basic opinion on if you think we should have that kind of law over here, or if you think Germany should implement something else.
Reply 5
yep you can drink beer/ wine etc at 16 but need to wait till you're 18 for spirits.

i was in Germany whem i was 16/17 and got into clubs and they checked my passport for my age, so you're allowed. but you get a stamp to say you're under 18 and then i think it was at either 11pm/12pm they chuck you out...everyone else can stay.
Reply 6
noodles!
Just swing the topic to drinking in general...

Oh, and have some basic opinion on if you think we should have that kind of law over here, or if you think Germany should implement something else.

Thanks for the advice, as our German teacher is rather appalling at speculating on questions ha.
Reply 7
millymoo9
yep you can drink beer/ wine etc at 16 but need to wait till you're 18 for spirits.

i was in Germany whem i was 16/17 and got into clubs and they checked my passport for my age, so you're allowed. but you get a stamp to say you're under 18 and then i think it was at either 11pm/12pm they chuck you out...everyone else can stay.

That's an awesome extra bit of knowledge I cxan throw in ha, thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 8
Howells
That's an awesome extra bit of knowledge I cxan throw in ha, thanks a lot :smile:

always glad to help a fellow german do-er :smile:
Reply 9
16 for beer + wine.

18 for spirits.

However, if you're in a bar drinking beer and you're under 18, 9 times out of ten they'll still serve you for spirits.

Drinking in german bars = damn good.
Reply 10
Ooh, while there are lot of German-speakers around, does anybody know if there's a way of saying 'it's like second nature to me'.
I've managed to find 'to become second nature to somebody': 'jdm. in Fleisch und Blut übergehen' but I'm not entirely sure how to change that. Would it be 'Es gehe in Fleish und Blut über' possibly?
Reply 11
Howells
Ooh, while there are lot of German-speakers around, does anybody know if there's a way of saying 'it's like second nature to me'.
I've managed to find 'to become second nature to somebody': 'jdm. in Fleisch und Blut übergehen' but I'm not entirely sure how to change that. Would it be 'Es gehe in Fleish und Blut über' possibly?

Es geht mir in Fleisch und Blut über

Maybe? If übergehen is seperable?

EDIT: Don't think it is. So "es übergeht mir in Fleisch und Blut"?
Reply 12
Yehh, WI ould say that sounds about right thank yoou, though I'll double check with the German assisstant at school tomorrow :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending