The Student Room Group

A-Level choices to go with English lit and politics?? Need advice!!

Hi guys , im picking my a level options at the moment and need some advice.
I want to take english lit and politics but im not sure about my third a level choice . I know history is a good a-level to combine with them but then I would take three essay subjects and i also find history quite difficult. I wanted to take business which I know is another essay subject but I feel like I’d rly enjoy it but now I’m having doubts about taking business as people have told me that it’s quite niche to a specific career in business and that universities don’t think it’s a good a level. I’m also thinking about taking german possibly ? But I’m not sure want I want to do when im older possibly something along the lines of law,politics, and journalism .As I don’t know for sure what I want to do in the future I want to keep my a level options open (also don’t wanna do maths and science )
Thanks in advance !!
Reply 1
There is nothing wrong with A level Business - and apart from a couple of 'up themselves' London Unis like LSE, all Unis will quite happily accept it for a wide range of degrees that have nothing to do with Business.

If you feel confident about A level German it would be useful - but remember its more complicated than just GCSE level.
Other subjects to think about - Law (if you school offers it), Geography (use as its considered both a science and a social science subject).
Reply 2
hi, I do German (grade 7 GCSE), English lit (grade 7 GCSE), and history (grade 9 GCSE). I think that book German and history are good pairings with English lit and politics but I would say that German would give you more variety. If you did another humanity you'd be doing pretty much mostly content learning and writing essays. I know this sounds good rn but when it comes to it you'll probably want some variety with more skill-based study. Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by Glemon
hi, I do German (grade 7 GCSE), English lit (grade 7 GCSE), and history (grade 9 GCSE). I think that book German and history are good pairings with English lit and politics but I would say that German would give you more variety. If you did another humanity you'd be doing pretty much mostly content learning and writing essays. I know this sounds good rn but when it comes to it you'll probably want some variety with more skill-based study. Hope this helps!

Hi , thanks so much for the advice and I totally agree I think German will be a bit of a change from English lit and politics which is good and will be a bit more varied so I won’t get bored lol .
Thanks so much!!
Reply 4
Economics would suit a lot better imo
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
There is nothing wrong with A level Business - and apart from a couple of 'up themselves' London Unis like LSE, all Unis will quite happily accept it for a wide range of degrees that have nothing to do with Business.

If you feel confident about A level German it would be useful - but remember its more complicated than just GCSE level.
Other subjects to think about - Law (if you school offers it), Geography (use as its considered both a science and a social science subject).

Hi thanks for the advice !! Yeh I am quite good at Georgraohy I just didn’t think it would go well with politics and English . Thank you!!
Reply 6
Original post by vnayak
Economics would suit a lot better imo

Hey thanks for replying , why do you think economics is would be better - sorry I just don’t rly know much about it
Reply 7
Original post by shaan111
Hey thanks for replying , why do you think economics is would be better - sorry I just don’t rly know much about it

It opens a lot of avenues if you are looking into Economics-related fields. Ties in really well with essay writing etc. Unlike any of the other subjects mentioned in this thread, it doesn't have NEAs involved as part of the course. If you are looking into anything related to politics, economics is a really good subject to have so I'd recommend it and vice versa.

Whatever happens, don't take business. Many universities consider it to be quite soft and if you like business, you may like economics as I hear some concepts are similar but there is also a bit more of theory involved.

Quick Reply

Latest