The Student Room Group

Can I choose Textiles even though I want to do Law?

I chose Law and German A level but I am thinking between Politics and Textiles. I don't have great knowledge in Politics but I like drawing and fashion as a hobby.
I want to do Law in Uni so I don't know what 3rd A level to choose.
It would be a good idea to look at the entry requirements of some universities you're interested in and see what they say. If they have politics as a required subject then you should go for politics but otherwise I see no problem in doing textiles if it's what you enjoy. I emailed the admissions team of my ideal university and they said my third subject would make my application "weaker" but I still ended up getting an offer.
Politics would be a better one to combine with those. Textiles would be very unusual for lawyers and better to stay safe. German is a traditinoal subject (I did German, History and English lit) so that one is a good choice.
Original post by ZeeZ29
I chose Law and German A level but I am thinking between Politics and Textiles. I don't have great knowledge in Politics but I like drawing and fashion as a hobby.

Hey @ZeeZ29

Like others have said, it's a good idea to check the degree requirements for different universities for what they are looking for in an application.

At Essex to study LLB Law, you would need A Level grades ABB with one of those being an essay-based subject. Your Law A Level should count as an essay subject. There are no specific requirements for what your other 2 A Levels should be. There are so many different types of Law degree, some are combined for example you could do a degree in law & human rights, law & politics, law & philosophy, etc.

Have a look at our different Law undergraduate degrees. Scroll down to October 2024 for the courses you're looking at and it will give you the entry requirements, as the 2023 courses are in the clearing process right now which will have different information on them.
https://www.essex.ac.uk/subjects/law

It is important to take your own abilities into account. If you think you will get a much higher grade like a A in Textiles, then that could be more beneficial to your uni application than a C or below in politics or some other subject.

Are there any open days at the sixth form you're hoping to do A Levels at? They might be able to give you some advice on what to expect from different subjects as it is a big academic jump from GCSE, especially as there are subjects like politics that you won't have had much experience in so far that aren't taught at GCSE level. They would have students go on to study law and could advise on the subject combos that past-students have done to get accepted onto a law degree. It's not always law/politics/history although that is a common combo.

I had a friend in sixth form who studied English and Art at A Level and went on to get a first class law degree, so it is possible.

It is important to study what you enjoy, as you are more likely to achieve a high grade in a subject that you enjoy rather than doing it just for the degree.

Best of luck!
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
Reply 4
Original post by 17Student17
Politics would be a better one to combine with those. Textiles would be very unusual for lawyers and better to stay safe. German is a traditinoal subject (I did German, History and English lit) so that one is a good choice.

Thank you very much, that gives me a head up. :smile: It's just choosing A levels is a big thing and I needed others help and opinion, thank you for your help, you really helped me :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by EssexStudentRep
Hey @ZeeZ29

Like others have said, it's a good idea to check the degree requirements for different universities for what they are looking for in an application.

At Essex to study LLB Law, you would need A Level grades ABB with one of those being an essay-based subject. Your Law A Level should count as an essay subject. There are no specific requirements for what your other 2 A Levels should be. There are so many different types of Law degree, some are combined for example you could do a degree in law & human rights, law & politics, law & philosophy, etc.

Have a look at our different Law undergraduate degrees. Scroll down to October 2024 for the courses you're looking at and it will give you the entry requirements, as the 2023 courses are in the clearing process right now which will have different information on them.
https://www.essex.ac.uk/subjects/law

It is important to take your own abilities into account. If you think you will get a much higher grade like a A in Textiles, then that could be more beneficial to your uni application than a C or below in politics or some other subject.

Are there any open days at the sixth form you're hoping to do A Levels at? They might be able to give you some advice on what to expect from different subjects as it is a big academic jump from GCSE, especially as there are subjects like politics that you won't have had much experience in so far that aren't taught at GCSE level. They would have students go on to study law and could advise on the subject combos that past-students have done to get accepted onto a law degree. It's not always law/politics/history although that is a common combo.

I had a friend in sixth form who studied English and Art at A Level and went on to get a first class law degree, so it is possible.

It is important to study what you enjoy, as you are more likely to achieve a high grade in a subject that you enjoy rather than doing it just for the degree.

Best of luck!
Essex Student Rep - Hayley

Thank you very much, that helped me a lot, I will have a look at the entry requirements :smile:. I think I'll keep Politics but I will have a look!! I may take a different subject that is a good combo!
Reply 6
Yes, thank you. I may still have a think about the Textiles but I may choose Philosophy instead of Politics, as you said it is better to choose a subject that I know I will be able to get a good grade. And I don't think Politics will be it, Textiles is just an interest and more of a hobby :smile: I really appreciate the help!
Reply 7
Original post by bloodyeclipse
It would be a good idea to look at the entry requirements of some universities you're interested in and see what they say. If they have politics as a required subject then you should go for politics but otherwise I see no problem in doing textiles if it's what you enjoy. I emailed the admissions team of my ideal university and they said my third subject would make my application "weaker" but I still ended up getting an offer.

Thank you very much. I will check the entry requirements for one of the Unis I am interested in. I understand :smile: Thank you for your help!
Original post by ZeeZ29
Yes, thank you. I may still have a think about the Textiles but I may choose Philosophy instead of Politics, as you said it is better to choose a subject that I know I will be able to get a good grade. And I don't think Politics will be it, Textiles is just an interest and more of a hobby :smile: I really appreciate the help!

I would also support philosophy - it is probably better than politics even.
Original post by ZeeZ29

Doing one subject that isn't traditionally academic is fine.

Also worth noting you don't need to do law at degree level to become a solicitor (and don't need to do it as your undergraduate degree to become a barrister). Unless you have a specific interest in the academic study of black letter law (as opposed to the professional practice of law, or the philosophical or socio-legal study of law) there's not really any specific reason to pick law over something else.
Reply 10
Oh okay, thank you, I'm thinking of now changing Politics to either Fine Art or Textiles :smile: Thank you for your help!!
I don’t think Textiles will hold you back if you think you’ll get an A or above in it. Law & German are good solid A-levels. Most unis with the exception of maybe LSE allow at least one ‘non preferred’ subject. Do something you’ll enjoy as you’re more likely to get a better grade, once you tick the ‘essay based’ subject A-level*, which you will, they won’t care unless it’s something like Critical Thinking which they don’t tend to rate. They’re more interested to see you can attain good grades in whatever you do.

*There are STEM pupils who get law offers who don’t do essay subjects so I think it just depends. STEM is quite sought after in law though these days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending