The Student Room Group

How To Get The A Thread

alright basically theres many threads on people wanting A's and expecting them. so how about advice from the poeple who get A's. how do you get them? how do you revise for the exams?

any tips would be appreciated....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Although if you're thick you're screwed from the start. :smile: :p:
1. Write notes
2. Revise notes as much as possible - ie. writing, getting them into head
3. Looking at "A" Grade answers (well, at AQA) to help get an idea of what they're looking for
4. Past papers
5. Work on mistakes made on past papers
6. Repeat steps 1-5 :smile:
Reply 3
1. Brief look over the topic
2. Completing past papers until you get an A grade a few times
2. Compare the questions from the past papers (about 4 years back)
4. Look at the mark scheme and remember how to answer the quesion as it states in the mark scheme.
5. Don't waste most your time covering your notes; just use the past papers
6. Start revising when you are at the most concentrated.
7. ROTE LEARN, ROTE LEARN, ROTE LEARN, ROTE LEARN.
8. Take a quick break; have a kit kat
9. Revise in chunks, remember you're a sponge
10. ROTE LEARN, ROTE LEARN, ROTE LEARN.
11. Don't listen to what the teacher says, stupid teachers!
11. No spider diagrams, they're useless
12. Get a A level textbook and complete all the questions from there
13. Go lock yourself in a quite place.
13. ROTE LEARN, ROTE LEARN, ROTE LEARN.

That's it, i think.
Imported
4. Look at the mark scheme and remember how to answer the quesion as it states in the mark scheme.

That's it, i think.

Kit kats do help :biggrin: thanks for the advice
Reply 5
For sciences, this works, but i couldnt say for other subjects:

Make sure you know the syllabus and everything on it, and make clear, consise notes which are compressed, with little waffle and no questions/answers in. you should be able to just look for a few minutes when you have the time, like on the bus and also for longer too if you want.

And the major thing to do: ALL THE PRACTICE EXAMS YOU CAN FIND, this includes non board papers, like delphis papers for maths, if you can get hold of them, as they are really useful.

EDIT: if you find a part you dont fully understand, work at it till you do get it, then write down clearly how you understood it, so if you forget why it made sense, you can easily see why again.
Reply 6
Ermmm....
learn all the facts you need to know off by heart so there at the top of your head, when you need them.
Lots of practice papers, to see where your going wrong and to see if you've missed bits out in revision.
Repeat, repeat everything again every so often so you dont forget when you begin revising other subjects.
Reply 7
This is actually quite a good thread + rep.
For history or essay based subjects, just do past papers like bloody mad until you are literally sick of them. It's tedious, but it does really help, but make sure you give them to your tecaher to mark, well at least if they are willing to mark them :s-smilie: and as someone said, look at A grade answers, possibly ones people have done in exams, just to give you a rough idea of the amount you can write within the given time.
Reply 8
I'll tell you how to get an A, turn off your computer, stop procrastinating, and start revising. Now. Go on. Bugger off.
Reply 9
tommmmmmmmmm
I'll tell you how to get an A, turn off your computer, stop procrastinating, and start revising. Now. Go on. Bugger off.

LOOL that can be kinda hard you know:p:

thanx for the advice people hopefully i wont flop this time round
for me it consists of having fun in class, always keeping my brain fresh and alert. make sure you understand everything in class as you go.

another thing I think people REALLY dont understand about exams, is that you actuallly have to understand the subject. sounds stupid, but alot of people spend a lot of time revising, and doing past papers, thinking that if they know the mark schemes inside out they'll be fine in the exam. they after the exams they complain about the exams being really bad.
Imported

That's it, i think.

ooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr you could understand whats going on instead of rote learning. its easier, takes less time, and gets you better results...
Pray for an extremely easy paper.
staticrhubarb
Pray for an extremely easy paper.

It doesn't really matter, as the raw marks are scaled. If anything, I'd aim for a very hard paper as you have a greater error margin for getting 100%.
Imported

nahh I used them for essay planning a ridiculous amount and still got straight A's.
past papers, yes. well, for sciences/maths/languages anyway. I wouldn't recommend writing full essays all the time while you revise english/history/similar subs. planning then writing a conclusion can be helpful.
rote learning is made of fail imo. but then I'm lazy :wink:
Glutamic Acid
It doesn't really matter, as the raw marks are scaled. If anything, I'd aim for a very hard paper as you have a greater error margin for getting 100%.

Yeah - but the easier the paper is the more marks you are likely to get, even if you need more marks to gain the A.

Plus...it was sort of a joke :P
Hammer those mark schemes for sciences, particularly the underlined. What is rote learning though :redface:
Reply 17
Botticello
Hammer those mark schemes for sciences, particularly the underlined. What is rote learning though :redface:

Rote learning is when you memorise the information instead of understanding it.

Eg. Memorising mathematical equations rather then understanding the proofs that get you to that equation.
Reply 18
Hmmm rote learning for maths i would personally say is not something good because the examiners tend to ask variations of a question thus no set way of tackling them but various methods of coming to a point where you apply a certain formula etc.

However, for subjects such as biology rote learning is more used as frankly, biology at a-lvl is constant streams of facts where no application or understanding is needed thus suggest questions always get me :frown:
Reply 19
motiv3
Hmmm rote learning for maths i would personally say is not something good because the examiners tend to ask variations of a question thus no set way of tackling them but various methods of coming to a point where you apply a certain formula etc.

However, for subjects such as biology rote learning is more used as frankly, biology at a-lvl is constant streams of facts where no application or understanding is needed thus suggest questions always get me :frown:

But do you need to show how you get to the quadtratic formula or why the sqaure root of 2 is irrational. I think for a lot of subjects there is little indepth understanding required. Even for the essay type A levels- you can read and read, still not understand but be able to get a decent mark on the papers.

You can get away with just a good memory for the most part of A level content imo. The past papers certainly give you a rough idea of where your memory can be applied. I

Latest