The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DonFahad
No you're definitely fine, just use the do-it website and ask local hospitals/hospices/care homes if you need any more.

So are you in Lower 6th currently?
Original post by Cheesecakefactory

Have I left it too late? Will this late start to voluntary work hinder my application?

Seeing as you'll have been volunteering for over a year by the time you apply... No.
Last time I checked, Oxford.
No you're definitely fine, just use the do-it website and ask local hospitals/hospices/care homes if you need any more.

When we get a voluntary work ,will they do the CRB checks for us or do we have to do it before hand?
Just a note but you can continue work experience after you've sent off your UCAS form and before your interviews. A lot of the things I talked about were mentioned in one line as plans at the end of my personal statement.
Reply 3985
I'll only start in June after AS. I firmly believe they are more important than one month of volunteering.

Okay. If you could get a volunteering position for about 2hours once a week I'm sure it wouldn't effect your exams, that's what I did. It was actually quite a nice break from revision. It's totally up to you though, it just depends more I suppose on how you revise.
Reply 3986
like many others I was not able to get a clinical placement. But, I have found voluntary work at a disabled childrens' playground. DO you think this is suitable enough to provide a good work experience placemebnt in order to get into Medicine.
I have aso got a placement at a local GP's surgery.

I should also say that I am not being superficial. Helping children is a great thing, but it has benefits.
Original post by sij01
like many others I was not able to get a clinical placement. But, I have found voluntary work at a disabled childrens' playground. DO you think this is suitable enough to provide a good work experience placemebnt in order to get into Medicine.
I have aso got a placement at a local GP's surgery.

I should also say that I am not being superficial. Helping children is a great thing, but it has benefits.

Well I would say that a GP would count as a clinical placement :P Unless you were in the office or something....there might not have been much gore but you would have seen patients.

It can be enough. It's all down to how you can sell it. I've known people get into medicine with no medically related work experience at all....it is all down to your reflections in your PS. If you can show that you have learned from what you saw and did whilst working with people then you will be fine.

There is no quota which you must reach :tongue:
Hi,
I'm currently doing work experience at a GP and I know I need to ask questions but I'm not sure what questions to ask, has anyone got any suggestions?
]
thanks in advance
Is this enouch work experience to have a good chance of getting into medicine?

1 year voluntary work at hospice
1 week in hospital (year 10 compulsory w/e)
1 week in maxfax department in hospital
2 week at dental practice (also considering dentistry)
1 week shadowing an F2

1 week shadowing an F2

Experience/commitment wise, plenty.

What are your grades like?

1 week shadowing an F2

I didn't know you wanted to do med cheesecake :smile:
Your work experience sounds fine...
depends on your grades as well
extra curricular etc.
:smile:

1 week shadowing an F2

That's superb work experience that you have. If you want to make it more sparkling, try to volunteer with a research at a hospital. If you get clinical research in there, your golden for work experience. Good luck :smile:
Reply 3993
As long as you state what you've learned from these experiences you will be fine.
Original post by TEEN_GALORE
Hi,
I'm currently doing work experience at a GP and I know I need to ask questions but I'm not sure what questions to ask, has anyone got any suggestions?
]
thanks in advance

Well you could ask them about how many patients they would normally see in a day, the most common complaints people have, any other duties e.g house calls, police surgeon.

You could ask why they chose to become GP's, what do they think about the current training. How has the job changed since you started? What do you think about the proposed changes to the NHS?
That's quite a lot! I doubt you'll be able to write about even half of them properly in your personal statement. Just remember to be reflective when describing accounts of them and you should be okay work-exp wise :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by CoolDude
That's superb work experience that you have. If you want to make it more sparkling, try to volunteer with a research at a hospital. If you get clinical research in there, your golden for work experience. Good luck :smile:

I've also got one week experience working in a cosmetics lab(no homo), would that help in any way?

I've also got one week experience working in a cosmetics lab(no homo), would that help in any way?

ummm....cosmetics will count good for research/pharmaceutical experience.....but still not as good as clinical research. But again, 1 week, phew, that''s not very good lol!
Original post by cute_wish
When we get a voluntary work ,will they do the CRB checks for us or do we have to do it before hand?

All the voluntary work I've done or applied for, they do it for you. You have to fill in the form and get proof of identity/address and that's it.
Is feeding patients every other Saturday at a palliative care home suitable volunteering?

Latest

Trending

Trending