The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I am trying to get work experience for various holidays in the school year, and none of the nhs trust websites contain relevant information about getting work experienced, or who to contact. Would it be advisable to write to the head/manager of the trust, the highest up person you can find? If not, who?
Reply 581
applemilk1992
I am trying to get work experience for various holidays in the school year, and none of the nhs trust websites contain relevant information about getting work experienced, or who to contact. Would it be advisable to write to the head/manager of the trust, the highest up person you can find? If not, who?

Call the hospital. Ask to speak to Human Resources. They will either be able to help you directly, or point you in the right direction (some places will have someone specific who co-ordinates volunteers and work experience, others won't). Calling the chief exec would get you nowhere. Phoning for initial enquiries is often better than writing as you can speak to a real person and at least know that your letter is going to the right place.
Reply 582
Hi, I was wondering whether 6 months volunteering in a hopsice would be better than 6 months on a hospital ward? im guessing as long as i can take a lot from the work then it doenst really matter?
matt^
Hi, I was wondering whether 6 months volunteering in a hopsice would be better than 6 months on a hospital ward? im guessing as long as i can take a lot from the work then it doenst really matter?

Well do which one you think you'd enjoy the most and would learn the most from because you're right - neither of them is 'better'. Personally I chose to do two stints of volunteering: one in a hospital and one in an old people's home. So if you have time you could try and do both. I really enjoy going to both of my volunteer placements and I gain different and useful things from each :smile:
matt^

Could you do 3 months of each? That way you'd be able to draw some comparisons, and would probably as a result get more out of each experience than you would have if you only did one or the other
Reply 585
good ideas indeed
thanks alex and beth
Reply 586
im in year 12 atm looking to do medicine..
im currently working voluntarily at a nursing home / ive done 1 weeks experience in a hospital / i help out at my sunday school / im a first aid cadet atm / next summer im hoping to work at a couple more hospitals :smile:
Reply 587
The careers person in school said i should definatly do some.
But im only 15 at the moment, would i have to wait until im 16?
And how did everybody else get to do the voluntary work?
do you ring up the hospital and ask or something...
:s
Reply 588
I think you'll have to wait until you start your A-Levels, at least in Portsmouth it's a very competitive job getting hold of Experience for Medicine, so they've actually limited applications to Sixth Formers only.
Reply 589
What I did was went on my local hospital's website and looked for the voluntary work number and email. Sent my CV to them and then they sent me application form. Et voila!
To volunteer in the hospitals around my area (Manchester) you have to be 16 and you should have finished your GCSEs year (Year 11).
Try and contact the volunteering/fundraising department of the hospital you're looking to volunteer at and they should provide you with further information.
Post multiple letters around your area (with a copy of your CV) and hope for a reply!

(I sent off about 20 letters last week to hospitals/GP surgerys)
it depends on what area you live in. I got mine by calling the volunteering department at the hospital (London). however I had to call about 10 hospitals till I found one that accepted me.
Reply 593
merseyside, and should i wait till im 16 then?
or ask now?
You could ask now and see what they say.
Reply 595
There is no harm in asking around now. Some hospitals have a waiting list that you could try and get yourself on to. In the mean time if you feel that you want to do some voluntary work you could look into nursing homes or possibly schools to see if there is anything that you could do there. Make sure that if you do take on a volunteering commitment you are willing to put in the time and effort required :smile:
Reply 596
Hi everyone. I really want to start and do the DoE Award, but I don't really know where to start. I will be 16 in March, so I cannot do the Gold Award until then. Should I start with the Bronze now or go straight to Silver? (Although it takes the same amount of time it seems to do just the silver rather than both.

I really want to start something now, but would it be better for me and from the university's view that I do the Bronze and Silver, instead of going straight for the Gold next year? I'm doing this for myself, but I want to get the best out of it too. Thanks.

Besides, from now, I don't think it would be possible to finish everything (Bronze, Silver, Gold) for 2011 entry, would it?
Hello, I was just wondering about voluntary experience! :biggrin:

I need to start begging places to take me soon, but I'm not sure what to do. I was thinking that I should try for 2-6 months in a nursing home, and 2-6 months in a hospital. The thing is, I know I won't enjoy working in a nursing home. I don't want to do anything like that after studying medicine (if I do) and I don't see how it would really help me.

How do I go about getting a place in a hospital for 6 months or so? I don't have a clue what to do...

My chemistry teacher is the person to speak to about applications to medicine in my college, and I need to see her about getting a place in a hospital for 3 days shadowing a doctor anyway, so I can ask then. I was just hoping someone could tell me now! :P

Would any other kind of experience help my application?
Reply 598
Is there a certain age limit to when you do work experience? Im 16 and want to get started as soon as possible.
medic24
Is there a certain age limit to when you do work experience? Im 16 and want to get started as soon as possible.

It really depends on your the policy of your local hospital (and other places). It's never too early to start trying to organise work experience, so, yes, contact as many places that interest you and wait for the feedback. Even if they do have an age policy, you can ask to organise work experience or voluntary work for when you meet that requirement :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending