The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 940
Enough work experience?

2 weeks clinical (one organised/one completed)
Volunteering at a hospital for ~2 years now
Am organising some hospice work for this summer
Have GPs in the family who have said I can get a few weeks work experience with them.

Will that be enough for Cambridge entrance?
CwSj
Enough work experience?

Have GPs in the family who have said I can get a few weeks work experience with them.

Read:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=568666

With particular attention to: "there is no such thing as "enough" work experience. There is no set amount that will guarantee you a place or even an interview".
Reply 942
CwSj
Enough work experience?

from what i've seen and heard cambridge puts most emphasis on academia...
Reply 943
HiBear
from what i've seen and heard cambridge puts most emphasis on academia...

I've already got straight A*s at GCSE, and am probably looking at high module scores (96.2% average on the AS modules that I've taken.)

Didn't want to be obnoxious and post all of that but w/e :P
Reply 944
CwSj
I've already got straight A*s at GCSE, and am probably looking at high module scores (96.2% average on the AS modules that I've taken.)

Didn't want to be obnoxious and post all of that but w/e :P

erm well good for you...
for camb you need to worry about doing well on BMAT and AS/A levels, and acing the interviews... if you get one that is...

but work exp is required for all unis ofc.
jonnyofengland
(And a lot of med applicants aren't Einstein - they'd much rather be Hippocrates :awesome:)

Hippocrates's principles and intentions were good, however a lot of the time he did more harm than good. Since you'll be in Med school next year, I suggest you read Bad Medicine, it's quite fascinating to learn about him and it alsogives a brief history of medicine.
pinballwizard
Hippocrates's principles and intentions were good, however a lot of the time he did more harm than good. Since you'll be in Med school next year, I suggest you read Bad Medicine, it's quite fascinating to learn about him and it alsogives a brief history of medicine.

And Einstein may have got some stuff wrong. Not saying I disagree with you (I'm not educated enough to really have a viewpoint), but he's still regarded by a lot of people as the founder of modern medicine.

But thanks for the book suggestion - I'll look into it. :thumbsup:
Reply 947
jonnyofengland
And Einstein may have got some stuff wrong. Not saying I disagree with you (I'm not educated enough to really have a viewpoint), but he's still regarded by a lot of people as the founder of modern medicine.

But thanks for the book suggestion - I'll look into it. :thumbsup:

That book is interesting, but it's quite ranty and obsesses over a couple of key themes (doctors' obsession with bleeding patients and the cruelty of early animal experimentation) rather too much for my liking. It does make some interesting points though, and is certainly worth a read.
Hiya

I'm currently studying for a degree anatomy and veterinary anatomy - bear with me!

I have always persued the veterinary science career option, as being "the next best thing" to studying medicine. This is because I have a pretty messed up phobia of people vomiting - and this is all that has stopped me from wanting to become a doctor.

I'm currently undergoing treatment for this phobia, and with the price of veterinary postgrad fees, studying medicine as a postgrad student is much more realistic.

The thing is, I have no medical work experience what so ever. All my work experience has revolved around vet surgeries, farming and the like. I've done all the surgical aspects, patient/client relations etc. but all from a veterinary point of view. I'm still unable to do medical work experience, as I'm not "cured" yet - far from it, it may take the best part of next year, depending on which treatment I go for.

I don't mind being honest on my application, and talking about the above factors, and the fact that I turned down a conditional offer to study veterinary science, and instead chose my current degree as it could lead to either, depending on my state of mind in 2 years time.

The thing is, by the time I'm going to be able to do relevent work experience, I'm going to be well into my 2nd, maybe even 3rd year of my degree, and time will be tight.

How is this likely to affect my application?
Slightly off topic, but i didnt see anyone vomit whilst on my work experience, so maybe try getting some experience in places like outpatient clinics where theres less chance of vomiting occuring.
Or general practice. Or better, try to get some experience with eg. support work for disabled kids. Long term volunteer work (or even paid) will get you much further than shadowing a consultant - it's all about demonstrable committment. Dealing with someone in their day to day lives (relief work for disabled kids is often offered to uni students, check out your careers office, or care home work) would mean you'd be pretty unlucky to see someone vomit, but still has medical applications.
Hmmm...interesting. I also gave up my ambitions to get onto the graduate vet course, and have decided to persue Medicine instead, mostly because of my involvement with St Johns Ambulance and experience of my family's illnesses. You could say I finally realised what my priorities were..

As a starting point you should contact human resources at your local hospital, who will put you through to the work experience dept (which is what Im currently going through). Also, a brilliant site is doit.org, it comes up with loads of volunteering opportunities in your area, including helping old folk, kids, just about anything. Very worthwhile! Also, if you can give up one evening a week, I'd thoroughly recommend St Johns Ambulance because you can train up to a high level in first aid care and even become an emergency first responder, they will put you in for lots of training courses (depending on branch, I suppose). I suppose the only problem with being on duty with St Johns is that you are likely to come into contact with a vomiting person at some stage...oh well.
Degausser
Slightly off topic, but i didnt see anyone vomit whilst on my work experience, so maybe try getting some experience in places like outpatient clinics where theres less chance of vomiting occuring.

ha ha - the last time i went to the doctors, i had a routine blood pressure check that was so high they kept me in for 2 hours to monitor it, and wouldn't let me go until it had come down - that's how bad the anxiety of just being in a waiting room is, never mind with patients.

It's currently so bad, that I don't even attend lectures - I am currently teaching myself from my lecture notes that are posted on the internet and through text books.

Thanks for the advice on alternative ideas though - I'll look into it - what between studying full time and working full time! I don't like making my life easy....!
Reply 953
Amanda1801
I'm currently undergoing treatment for this phobia, and with the price of veterinary postgrad fees, studying medicine as a postgrad student is much more realistic.
£500 per exam? Thousands for revision courses? There's nothing realistic or affordable about PG.
Reply 954
Amanda1801
How is this likely to affect my application?
What's complicated about this? You don't feel like you can get enough work experience by three years time? So get enough by four or five or six years time and then apply - it's not a race.
Renal
£500 per exam? Thousands for revision courses? There's nothing realistic or affordable about PG.

Especially with all this talk of tuition fees being hiked up even further, too.
Reply 956
Shockley
Especially with all this talk of tuition fees being hiked up even further, too.
I don't think the cost of research degrees or PGDips is going to go up all that much.
Renal

To study vet medicine PG this year its £17k a year...
Reply 958
Amanda1801
To study vet medicine PG this year its £17k a year...
Wot wot?

Vet med's a bachelors, like medicine...
Renal
Wot wot?

Vet med's a bachelors, like medicine...

The government don't subsidise PG vet med. It's only the standard £3,000 and whatever if you do it as UG. My flat mate is paying £17k a year at the moment, as he's doing it as PG. It's self funded too. By the time I get around to doing it, I'll be looking at more like £20k a year, although I may be in a financial situation in 3 years time to be able to afford £100k in tuition fees, would I want to blow THAT much money...

Stupid government...

Latest

Trending

Trending