The Student Room Group

Medicine and Life

Basically, there were 3 of us at 6th form who wanted to do medicine. The two others went on a conference, where they were told you have to choose if you want a career or a family/life. Subsequently, they no longer want to be doctors.

So really I'm just asking, is it as bad as they make it out? I can't see myself doing anything else but medicine, but I want a family too. Do many doctors have career breaks to have children? Is that even possible? And what about part time consultants? Cos I don't see the point of having children if you're going to work all the time.

I don't know if anyone will be able to shed any light on this, but any response will be appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can always have maternity leave but you'll be expected to go back to work after.

General practise is more family friendly- you can work 9-6 five days a week and won't be on call. I suppose you can choose a speciality which has less on-call hours and more flexible hours.

Only do it if you enjoy it basically.
Reply 2
Here is an interesting table, but I think it might be for america.

Reply 3
Oh bloody hell, all the interesting ones are 'uncontrollable' hahaha. How sad.
There have been loads of threads on this, some of them are particularly helpful. Maybe this will help you since this has opinions from current medics etc.
i don't understand the idea of being put off medicine specifically because of this. obviously whatever you're doing, taking an extensive amount of time off work is never going to help your career progression, whether this be to have children or whatever. there are legal requirements for all employers regarding working arrangements for families. i think the same problems would be encountered in any "high flying" career path. and yes, probably to a certain extent, it might have to be career or family. simply because time off =/= career progression. i don't see why you couldn't have a reasonable lifestyle and a family though if you weren't hellbent on getting to the top as soon as possible and took your time with it. isn't that the case in any job though when it comes to family commitments?
Reply 6
EWTD. Nuff said.
You shouldn't even consider Medicine if you don't understand how it is, from what I can gather, a way of life as supposed to a degree per se.
well i reckon you're allowed to like your babies more than you like medicine!! i don't think that makes you a bad person....
Reply 9
Agreed! Especially with the vougue towards portfolio working - in theory it should give you the scope to pick and choose your case load/no of days per week you work/etc - and job shares (and their increasing level of legally defined protection)
Reply 10
Fluffy
EWTD. Nuff said.

EWTD?

Please forgive my ignorance. :p:
Reply 11
I'm not sure inability to use google (or of course, another search engine of your choice), but instead posting on an internet forum is forgivable. :frown:

(The FIRST hit I get when I type in 'EWTD' explains the whole thing from the most official of sources?!)
Reply 12
My bad. :redface:
I think it depends on exactly what you want out of life... It also depends on the partner you end up with (How understanding they are and if they understand about your career, commitments and responsibilities)

I think its possible to have both (The flourishing career and the family life)... but I guess it all comes down to understanding and relationship commitment..

... but evidently it COULD come down to career or happy married family life....

I guess it just depends on what type of person you are and what type of relationship you have with your partner...
Reply 14
I'd rather have a family than be a doctor. And i really really want to be a doctor.
Sarky
I'd rather have a family than be a doctor. And i really really want to be a doctor.

same. i think i'm going try to go as far as i can. i really really want to have a family but also i want to be a surgeon... :s-smilie:
Reply 16
All of the GP's at my surgery have children.
One of my school friend's is a doctor and she has a child.

I don't think being a doctor means you can't have kids. That would be ridiculous. You may want to time them around certain stages in your career though. You shouldn't give up medicine because you want a family in the future. You could turn out to be infertile and have given it up for nothing!!!!!
Reply 17
Greenmile
All of the GP's at my surgery have children.
One of my school friend's is a doctor and she has a child.

I don't think being a doctor means you can't have kids. That would be ridiculous. You may want to time them around certain stages in your career though. You shouldn't give up medicine because you want a family in the future. You could turn out to be infertile and have given it up for nothing!!!!!
Yeah but you want to be able to actually spend time with your children, not just make time to get laid and pop it out. :wink:
What about a Medicine degree and then going off into the City as a banker.

:ninja:

:wink: :biggrin:

*Scary at just how many Asians in my year are planning on doing this: keeps family pride, as well as making you a lot of money. :rolleyes:
Given the number of medical students who have one or both parents as doctors, it does appear possible for doctors to raise a family.

Latest

Trending

Trending