The Student Room Group

Luka Modric wins the Ballon d'Or

The Messi/Ronaldo run is broken, thoughts?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46432933
Original post by Rock Fan
The Messi/Ronaldo run is broken, thoughts?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46432933

Happy and about time.
Its a shame no other footballer had consistently managed it on all fronts though. Far as i could see it was for his performance in the WC? Ronaldo still came second.
Whether or not Modric deserved to win, how on earth did Messi come 5th??? Should've come 2nd imo, had a far superior individual season than Mbappe, Griezmann and Ronaldo.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Messi should’ve won it he’s the greatest player to ever play the game. No ones near his level not even Ronaldo. There will never be anyone reaching his level. Ridiculous debate between Ronaldo and Messi and modric winning this is embarrassing
Reply 4
Joke of an award.

The two best players over the past 12 months are Ronaldo and Messi, Modric never even had his best 12 months.

This is another joke award handed out like Giggs’ one and when everyone decided that Pirlo was good so went completely over the top.
This doesn't surprise me. Remeber when Buffon nearly won the Ballon D'or just because he was old lol.

Messi finishing 5th is a disgrace. The best player ever being underrated Christ
Reply 6
The award isn't given for best player anymore. It's given for best player to win things and play at highest level in a select band of 4 or 5 clubs.

Because Barca didn't win the CL, and Argentina did poorly at the WC, Messi was never going to win.
It does seem like players who did well at the World Cup got bumped up.
Reply 8
Messi's been robbed of about 5 Ballon D'ors at this point
Original post by difeo
Messi's been robbed of about 5 Ballon D'ors at this point

I only thing he got robbed of two personally. It'd be difficult to argue in favour of him ahead of Ronaldo in 2013 or 2014
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Crazy how Modric went from the most underrated player in the world to the most overrated in the space of a couple of months.

Quick Reply

Latest