The Student Room Group

A/s maths noob question

right, im currently taking a gap year and going to uni next year. However as i dont want my brain to rott over this year i plan on doing a/s maths *EDEXCEL*. I'm doing it through a distance learning program. The only problem is i dont know what to choose:

units C1 & C2 (pure)
mechanics 1
statisticss 1

To be honest I dont realy know what is involved in each of these options. Can anyone give me a brief insite into each one. Also which one is the most popular (easiest).

I already have my place at lancaster (biological/combined sciences), so this is realy just for fun (lol).
Reply 1
gap-year-mat
right, im currently taking a gap year and going to uni next year. However as i dont want my brain to rott over this year i plan on doing a/s maths *EDEXCEL*. I'm doing it through a distance learning program. The only problem is i dont know what to choose:

units C1 & C2 (pure)
mechanics 1
statisticss 1

To be honest I dont realy know what is involved in each of these options. Can anyone give me a brief insite into each one. Also which one is the most popular (easiest).
I already have my place at lancaster (biological/combined sciences), so this is realy just for fun (lol).

statistics is soooooooooo easy its like taking a gcse exam but counts as a a/s qualification lol :smile:
Absolutely definitely do NOT take mechanics...unless you're good at physics :tongue:

Mechanics is the bain of my existence...however Pure Maths is easy AND not mind numbingly boring like stats .

my thoughts only haha
Reply 3
C1: Algebra and functions, coordinate geometry in the (x,y) plane, sequences and series, diffrentiation, integration.

C2: Algebra and functions, coordinate geometry in the (x,y) plane, sequences and series, trigonometry, exponentials and logarithms, diffrentiation, integration.

M1: Mathematical models in mechanics, vectors in mechanics, kinematics of a particle moving in a straight line, dynamics of a particle moving in a straight line or plane, statics of a particle, moments.

S1: Mathematical models in probablility and statistics, representation and summary of data, probability, correlation and regression, discrete random variables, discrete distributions, the Normal distribution.

I prefered Mechanics to be honest, its not so bad for M1, its once you get to M2 and higher physics is useful, if you're taking biological science though, I'd say stats would keep you in the right mind frame for it, and you never know, it could be useful knowledge to know! in addition, most people find stats easier.

For more information, Edexcels website has more specific information on each module - http://www.edexcel.org.uk

Although, the specific information can be found right here - http://www.edexcel.org.uk/VirtualContent/83441/GCE_Mathematics_Specification.pdf

Latest