The Student Room Group

EEE offers

Hey, has anyone heard back from either Imperial, UCL or Bath about MEng Electrical & Electronics engineering? I have been invited to Imperial’s entrance exam so I’m not too worried about that, but I’ve heard nothing at all from Bath and UCL since October when I got my confirmation email (application received)… No UCAS notifications since November either 😅

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xbqvz
Hey, has anyone heard back from either Imperial, UCL or Bath about MEng Electrical & Electronics engineering? I have been invited to Imperial’s entrance exam so I’m not too worried about that, but I’ve heard nothing at all from Bath and UCL since October when I got my confirmation email (application received)… No UCAS notifications since November either 😅

I've moved your thread to the engineering forum to help you get some replies :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by normaw

I've moved your thread to the engineering forum to help you get some replies :smile:

thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by xbqvz

Applications to Imperial have been put on hold for all EEE applicants and they will start handing out decisions in March. They sent out the email sometime in December. So in my year, we had 25 Imperial applicants. The three people who secured interviews (including myself) applied for EEE, General Engineering and CS(me). Everyone else got rejected via a UCAS update and no email was sent round with a reason. We all had interviews on the same day but mine was in-person. The other two completed their interviews and received an email telling them that they would hear back in March at the earliest so for that reason, I don't think anyone has heard back.

I don't know anyone who has applied to UCL for EEE but said person who applied for EEE at Imperial has also received an offer from Bath.
Reply 4
Original post by vnayak

Applications to Imperial have been put on hold for all EEE applicants and they will start handing out decisions in March. They sent out the email sometime in December. So in my year, we had 25 Imperial applicants. The three people who secured interviews (including myself) applied for EEE, General Engineering and CS(me). Everyone else got rejected via a UCAS update and no email was sent round with a reason. We all had interviews on the same day but mine was in-person. The other two completed their interviews and received an email telling them that they would hear back in March at the earliest so for that reason, I don't think anyone has heard back.

I don't know anyone who has applied to UCL for EEE but said person who applied for EEE at Imperial has also received an offer from Bath.

Hi! Thank you for your response :smile: I applied on Oct 17th so I’m not an early applicant, so my Imperial MAT is in February so I’m not too worried about that. Bit worrying that Bath’s given out offers and I’ve heard nothing… But congratulations!!
Reply 5
Original post by xbqvz
Hi! Thank you for your response :smile: I applied on Oct 17th so I’m not an early applicant, so my Imperial MAT is in February so I’m not too worried about that. Bit worrying that Bath’s given out offers and I’ve heard nothing… But congratulations!!

From what I've seen on forums, the MAT was tight for time but is used as a major differentiator for who deserves interviews so I'd say prepare well for it. I'd say don't worry about universities giving out offers and not hearing from them.

I applied to my 5 universities on 27/09 (I also applied to Cambridge, Edinburgh, Manchester and Durham) and I've been waiting for four months to hear from Durham. It's my last decision.

Thank you for your kind words and good luck with your decisions and admissions test!
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by vnayak

From what I've seen on forums, the MAT was tight for time but is used as a major differentiator for who deserves interviews so I'd say prepare well for it. I'd say don't worry about universities giving out offers and not hearing from them.

I applied to my 5 universities on 27/09 (I also applied to Cambridge, Edinburgh, Manchester and Durham) and I've been waiting for four months to hear from Durham. It's my last decision.

Thank you for your kind words and good luck with your decisions and admissions test!

Thank you for the advice!! I was looking to start preparing as soon as my mocks are done :smile:

Ooh, woah, those are great!! Do you know which one you want to go to? I currently have offers from KCL and QMUL, so KCL will likely be my insurance and I want Imperial to be my firm if I do get it!

Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by xbqvz
Thank you for the advice!! I was looking to start preparing as soon as my mocks are done :smile:

Ooh, woah, those are great!! Do you know which one you want to go to? I currently have offers from KCL and QMUL, so KCL will likely be my insurance and I want Imperial to be my firm if I do get it!

Yeah, I'd say focus on mocks. By understand the content in your A levels well, you'll be fine when it comes to the MAT because I think that the questions will be loosely based around the course but I'm not too sure about this. For my admissions test, it was more problem solving based for CS, which I felt really worked in my favour. Good luck with your mocks! Mine are on 26th Feb to 8th March.

That's a great set of universities you have applied to! What are the other two you applied to (if you did apply to two others)?I was briefly considering KCL for CS but I think I was swayed by Manchester being more of a tech hub and having strong industry connections.

Oh without doubt Imperial will be my firm (A*AAA and then grade 2 in STEP II). Edinburgh's minimum entry requirements on the website are 3 A*s to AAB and I was hoping for the lower end of their requirements but I got the top end. Still, I'd much rather go there than Durham (who I was briefly considering for insurance) because the Durham grad prospects are more or less non-existent in comparison to some of my other options (but I still haven't received my Durham decision so who knows? I might not even get the offer given that loads of CS offers have been given out already). So right now, my insurance is a toss-up between Manchester and Edinburgh but will most likely go for Edinburgh because of CS being their flagship and the BEng qualification over the BSc. I like practical more than theoretical stuff so BEng makes more sense plus there is a year in industry with Edinburgh, which makes up for it being a 4 year course.

I really really wanted to go to Cambridge but got rejected from Cambridge pre-interview after fumbling my TMUA admissions test. In the room my admissions test was taking place, there were seven other admissions tests and all of the end timings were presented in a tabular format at the front of the room. I was sat at the back of the room and I saw the wrong row for my end timing for the firstpaper, which is normally the one that brings my mark up. The paper timing is one hour 15 minutes but the timing I saw was for one and a half hours, meaning I thought I had 15 minutes than I actually had and at no point did I clock this during the test. I worked through the first few questions really quickly and seeing that I had loads of time left, I began to pace myself a bit more so that I wouldn't make any stupid mistakes. About 23 minutes before what I thought was the end timing (8 minutes before the actual end time), I finished the first paper in its entirety and had answers to every question that matched one of the multiple choice options with workings out and since I thought I had 20-ish minutes left, I thought I would take a break for like 5 minutes before starting to fill in my answer sheet. 5 minutes later (3 minutes before the end time), I slowly began to fill in my answer sheet. I was really confident that I had done well and then three minutes later, I got told to put my pencil down and I had the shock of my life. I then looked at the table of timings and saw that I looked at the wrong row. I only managed to fill in 9 out of the 20 lozenges on my answer sheet.The test was really easy as well (for me at least. Some people found it really hard at my school), which hurt even more because I thought I would have decent chances of securing an interview. I worked out that to have a decent chance of getting an interview, I would have to get at least 15 questions right on the second paper and I realised at this point that I am going to get rejected and all of that hard work was in vain because I've never got more than 13 on the second paper and that remained the case. I scored 4.5 inthe TMUA, which some people got less than and still secured interviews and I know someone who got 5.0 at my school and still got an interview for CS, which hurt a lot at the time. 5 days before my Imperial interview, I received my Cambridge rejection and I was so distraught and dejected. It destroyed me and still hurts to this day.
Reply 8
Original post by vnayak
Original post by xbqvz

Yeah, I'd say focus on mocks. By understand the content in your A levels well, you'll be fine when it comes to the MAT because I think that the questions will be loosely based around the course but I'm not too sure about this. For my admissions test, it was more problem solving based for CS, which I felt really worked in my favour. Good luck with your mocks! Mine are on 26th Feb to 8th March.

That's a great set of universities you have applied to! What are the other two you applied to (if you did apply to two others)?I was briefly considering KCL for CS but I think I was swayed by Manchester being more of a tech hub and having strong industry connections.

Oh without doubt Imperial will be my firm (A*AAA and then grade 2 in STEP II). Edinburgh's minimum entry requirements on the website are 3 A*s to AAB and I was hoping for the lower end of their requirements but I got the top end. Still, I'd much rather go there than Durham (who I was briefly considering for insurance) because the Durham grad prospects are more or less non-existent in comparison to some of my other options (but I still haven't received my Durham decision so who knows? I might not even get the offer given that loads of CS offers have been given out already). So right now, my insurance is a toss-up between Manchester and Edinburgh but will most likely go for Edinburgh because of CS being their flagship and the BEng qualification over the BSc. I like practical more than theoretical stuff so BEng makes more sense plus there is a year in industry with Edinburgh, which makes up for it being a 4 year course.

I really really wanted to go to Cambridge but got rejected from Cambridge pre-interview after fumbling my TMUA admissions test. In the room my admissions test was taking place, there were seven other admissions tests and all of the end timings were presented in a tabular format at the front of the room. I was sat at the back of the room and I saw the wrong row for my end timing for the firstpaper, which is normally the one that brings my mark up. The paper timing is one hour 15 minutes but the timing I saw was for one and a half hours, meaning I thought I had 15 minutes than I actually had and at no point did I clock this during the test. I worked through the first few questions really quickly and seeing that I had loads of time left, I began to pace myself a bit more so that I wouldn't make any stupid mistakes. About 23 minutes before what I thought was the end timing (8 minutes before the actual end time), I finished the first paper in its entirety and had answers to every question that matched one of the multiple choice options with workings out and since I thought I had 20-ish minutes left, I thought I would take a break for like 5 minutes before starting to fill in my answer sheet. 5 minutes later (3 minutes before the end time), I slowly began to fill in my answer sheet. I was really confident that I had done well and then three minutes later, I got told to put my pencil down and I had the shock of my life. I then looked at the table of timings and saw that I looked at the wrong row. I only managed to fill in 9 out of the 20 lozenges on my answer sheet.The test was really easy as well (for me at least. Some people found it really hard at my school), which hurt even more because I thought I would have decent chances of securing an interview. I worked out that to have a decent chance of getting an interview, I would have to get at least 15 questions right on the second paper and I realised at this point that I am going to get rejected and all of that hard work was in vain because I've never got more than 13 on the second paper and that remained the case. I scored 4.5 inthe TMUA, which some people got less than and still secured interviews and I know someone who got 5.0 at my school and still got an interview for CS, which hurt a lot at the time. 5 days before my Imperial interview, I received my Cambridge rejection and I was so distraught and dejected. It destroyed me and still hurts to this day.

Thank you!! My mocks finish at the end of this week! I wish you luck in your mocks. What subjects do you do?

I’m predicted 3A*s and already have an A* in Maths. I applied to Imperial, UCL, Bath, KCL and QMUL, & I already have offers from KCL (A*AA) and QMUL (A*AB)!! Imperial is the dream honestly, so I’ll be super bummed if I don’t get in. Would be very cool for us to both go !!

Omg, I’m so sorry that happened to you. You’re definitely good enough to be a Cambridge student and honestly, that was super unfortunate. I believe you can get into the others though, still so sorry you missed out on Cambridge :’)
Reply 9
Original post by xbqvz

Thank you!! My mocks finish at the end of this week! I wish you luck in your mocks. What subjects do you do?

I’m predicted 3A*s and already have an A* in Maths. I applied to Imperial, UCL, Bath, KCL and QMUL, & I already have offers from KCL (A*AA) and QMUL (A*AB)!! Imperial is the dream honestly, so I’ll be super bummed if I don’t get in. Would be very cool for us to both go !!

Omg, I’m so sorry that happened to you. You’re definitely good enough to be a Cambridge student and honestly, that was super unfortunate. I believe you can get into the others though, still so sorry you missed out on Cambridge :’)
Thank you! I do Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Computer Science and EPQ (almost finished with this nightmare).
5 A* predictions + 9999999988 at GCSE with the 8s in English literature and RS.

That's an awesome set of universities! Good luck with Imperial! I understand that EEE is one of their specialities? I understand the feeling of being super annoyed about not getting in but to be honest, I applied to some universities (particularly Imperial and Cambridge) purely because I had the grades and only after applying did I actually want to go there after the effort I put in. Yeah that would be super cool if we both got in! Only problem is we don't know each other and not sure what the likelihood of us coming across each other during our time there (if we both get in and meet the offer conditions).

What's happened has happened. I mean, if I get 4 or 5 A*s in the actual thing (which I probably won't), I'd consider reapplying but if I don't get that, I'll probably go to Imperial. Don't get me wrong - Imperial is SUPER AWESOME. I never thought I'd actually receive an offer given that the department receives 20 applications for one place for my course because of the more impressive candidates that exist in this world. When you see the UCAS update and it's Imperial, I think the telltale sign to say whether it is an offer or rejection is depending on the time you receive your offer. Now this may be purely coincidental but the people I know who have received offers outside of school and on the Official Imperial Applicants Thread on this website, we all received our offers at 10 pm whereas if you receive a rejection, most of the people in my year received it midday.

Now I am not able to verify whether this is actually true or not but this is a trend I've noticed.
Reply 10
Original post by vnayak
Original post by xbqvz

Thank you! I do Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Computer Science and EPQ (almost finished with this nightmare).

That's an awesome set of universities! Good luck with Imperial! I understand that EEE is one of their specialities? I understand the feeling of being super annoyed about not getting in but to be honest, I applied to some universities (particularly Imperial and Cambridge) purely because I had the grades and only after applying did I actually want to go there after the effort I put in. Yeah that would be super cool if we both got in! Only problem is we don't know each other and not sure what the likelihood of us coming across each other during our time there (if we both get in and meet the offer conditions).

What's happened has happened. I mean, if I get 4 or 5 A*s in the actual thing (which I probably won't), I'd consider reapplying but if I don't get that, I'll probably go to Imperial. Don't get me wrong - Imperial is SUPER AWESOME. I never thought I'd actually receive an offer given that the department receives 20 applications for one place for my course because of the more impressive candidates that exist in this world. When you see the UCAS update and it's Imperial, I think the telltale sign to say whether it is an offer or rejection is depending on the time you receive your offer. Now this may be purely coincidental but the people I know who have received offers outside of school and on the Official Imperial Applicants Thread on this website, we all received our offers at 10 pm whereas if you receive a rejection, most of the people in my year received it midday.

Now I am not able to verify whether this is actually true or not but this is a trend I've noticed.

Hi! Sorry for the late reply, mock season has been so crazy!
Yes, Imperial is top in the UK for EEE, so I definitely want to continue my studies there! I’ll keep a look out for the time that I get my offer. I have my entrance exam next week Monday and they said they’ll email me within 3 weeks if I’ve gotten an interview… super nervous. I’ve never done an interview before and I’m an anxious person, but I hope all goes well. Would you be able to ask your friend what type of questions got asked? Thank you!
Hope you’re doing okay btw!
Reply 11
Original post by xbqvz

Yes, Imperial is top in the UK for EEE, so I definitely want to continue my studies there! I’ll keep a look out for the time that I get my offer. I have my entrance exam next week Monday and they said they’ll email me within 3 weeks if I’ve gotten an interview… super nervous. I’ve never done an interview before and I’m an anxious person, but I hope all goes well. Would you be able to ask your friend what type of questions got asked? Thank you!
Yeah totally get it. I would be in a similar situation if I didn't have my Computer Science NEA deadline coming up in the coming days which is really annoying. Good luck for your admissions test and your interview (if you get it!). I'm afraid that I can't ask my friend because they shouldn't disclose any questions that were asked in their interview because it could give an unfair advantage to other applicants (I believe that they re-use some questions sometimes so that's why). Also, his interview was in November and he had an Oxbridge interview a week after so I'd be surprised if he'd be able to tell which question he got asked where.

The only thing I can tell you is that it's a Maths and Physics-related course so make sure you know your Maths and Physics well. One of my other friends has an offer for General Engineering and his offer states A*A*AA with the A*s in Physics and Maths and As in Computer Science and Physics. He also does EPQ (but Imperial never gives EPQ requirements).
Reply 12
Original post by vnayak
Original post by xbqvz

Yeah totally get it. I would be in a similar situation if I didn't have my Computer Science NEA deadline coming up in the coming days which is really annoying. Good luck for your admissions test and your interview (if you get it!). I'm afraid that I can't ask my friend because they shouldn't disclose any questions that were asked in their interview because it could give an unfair advantage to other applicants (I believe that they re-use some questions sometimes so that's why). Also, his interview was in November and he had an Oxbridge interview a week after so I'd be surprised if he'd be able to tell which question he got asked where.

The only thing I can tell you is that it's a Maths and Physics-related course so make sure you know your Maths and Physics well. One of my other friends has an offer for General Engineering and his offer states A*A*AA with the A*s in Physics and Maths and As in Computer Science and Physics. He also does EPQ (but Imperial never gives EPQ requirements).

Goodluck for completing your NEA!! And thank you! Don’t worry about it haha. I always forget that they’d ask maths & physics questions. Wait, you said physics twice for your friend?
Reply 13
Original post by xbqvz

Goodluck for completing your NEA!! And thank you! Don’t worry about it haha. I always forget that they’d ask maths & physics questions. Wait, you said physics twice for your friend?
Ah I meant Further Maths. 2 A*s in Maths and Physics, two As or higher in Further Maths and Computer Science.
Reply 14
Original post by xbqvz

The EEE person is yet to receive anything after interview because all applications have been put on hold until the early applicant deadline. They are waiting until March to put out any decisions.

Thank you! The EEE person applied to Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Bristol (or Bath - can't remember which one) and Manchester. Cambridge interview but rejection, Imperial interview but no news as of yet, UCL no news, Bristol (or Bath) offer and Manchester offer.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 15
Original post by vnayak
Original post by xbqvz

The EEE person is yet to receive anything after interview because all applications have been put on hold until the early applicant deadline. They are waiting until March to put out any decisions.

Thank you! The EEE person applied to Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Bristol (or Bath - can't remember which one) and Manchester. Cambridge interview but rejection, Imperial interview but no news as of yet, UCL no news, Bristol (or Bath) offer and Manchester offer.

I mean, you said your friend got a general engineering offer of A*A*AA but two of the grades were physics? that’s why i’m confused. I haven’t heard back from bath or UCL yet
Reply 16
Original post by xbqvz

I mean, you said your friend got a general engineering offer of A*A*AA but two of the grades were physics? that’s why i’m confused. I haven’t heard back from bath or UCL yet
Yeah that was a mistake on my part.

We have three Imperial offers in my year group and the EEE person is probably going to get the offer as well considering his interview went well (he didn't get a question wrong but like me, had one shaky question which he eventually got the answer to). Everyone else has either been rejected or waiting for interview.

My offer is A*AAA with Grade 2 in STEP II with A star in Maths and AAA in Computer Science, Chemistry and Further Maths.

The one going for general engineering with offer has 2 A*s 2 As offer with the two A stars in Maths and Physics and 2 As in Computer Science and Further Maths.

A girl has an offer for Biological Sciences for AAA and does Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology.

The EEE person does Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science and will probably get the offer but is waiting.

We all do EPQ and the other common thing is that none of us got into Cambridge even though we all applied there (2 Engineering rejections, 1 CS rejection and one NatSci rejection).
Reply 17
Original post by vnayak
Original post by xbqvz

Yeah that was a mistake on my part.

We have three Imperial offers in my year group and the EEE person is probably going to get the offer as well considering his interview went well (he didn't get a question wrong but like me, had one shaky question which he eventually got the answer to). Everyone else has either been rejected or waiting for interview.

My offer is A*AAA with Grade 2 in STEP II with A star in Maths and AAA in Computer Science, Chemistry and Further Maths.

The one going for general engineering with offer has 2 A*s 2 As offer with the two A stars in Maths and Physics and 2 As in Computer Science and Further Maths.

A girl has an offer for Biological Sciences for AAA and does Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology.

The EEE person does Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science and will probably get the offer but is waiting.

We all do EPQ and the other common thing is that none of us got into Cambridge even though we all applied there (2 Engineering rejections, 1 CS rejection and one NatSci rejection).

Oh wow, that’s some great stats. Goodluck!
Reply 18
Original post by xbqvz

I got an offer from UCL for EEE MEng on the 5th of Jan, that was very early tho, idk why it was so early cos they say they don't start sending any till after Jan 31st. I'm assuming anytime this month you'll hear back.
Reply 19
Original post by Chenno8

I got an offer from UCL for EEE MEng on the 5th of Jan, that was very early tho, idk why it was so early cos they say they don't start sending any till after Jan 31st. I'm assuming anytime this month you'll hear back.

omggg congrats!! thank you for letting me know. what were your stats, if you don’t mind me asking? and did you apply early (before oxbridge deadline)?

Quick Reply

Latest