The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hihihihi
What practical was that? You got to play around with E Coli?

Sumthing 2 do with microbiology and provign abcteria are gram negative or postive.

madmazda86
How *not* to do a Biology assessed prac

10. Declare the experiment an Offical Disaster and proceed to fabricate an entire table of results using measurements pinched from friends around the classroom, in spite of the fact that they're all making their results up as well.

AHHHHHH-flashbacks to bi3 and ch3 :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: (The practical module for chemistry and biology,for all u non-welshies/wjec.)
Reply 21
I moved a flaming bunsen burner along the bench until it was just beneath a wooden shelf!

Luckily it only went black and didnt catch fire.

he he he
tally ho
Reply 22
stressed_eric
Sumthing 2 do with microbiology and provign abcteria are gram negative or postive.

jikes..we're doing that now. (2nd year degree level)

re. salters chem..whatever you do..make sure you type up/process results as you go along or it'll end up being an unsurmountable task! otherwise, it can be quite useful as a grade cushion.. :biggrin:
stressed_eric
hey,just wondering if ya all wanna share ur experiment cock ups and disasters in science.
i think mine was pretty classic,my alevel biology class was doin a prac on bacteria,and i managed to contamine everones prac with e-coli!! :eek: )
ah well,all is well now,but crist do i feel :redface:

This wasn't a 'disaster' as such, but it was bloody funny at the time.

During a chemisty prac, the one where we made Esters (scents, smells! For those of you who've never undertaken chem, btw if so what are you doing here :rolleyes: just jokes), a friend of mine let rip! Farted. Really, REALLY....

quietly :tongue: But it was one of those silent but deadly types, you know? So when our old lecturer was like 'now how are the esters going?' it was extremely funny when a group next to us had thought they had done something wrong in the experiment and were like 'Umm, I think we made a mistake!!! Help... something's gone wrong'

Lololol! Funny. The next day we all nicknamed our friend Ester, coz she made esters! Some people :rolleyes: They really know how to amuse an entire university-level chemistry class.
During my first practical of AS Biology last year I managed to smash this big glass thing (lol I'm not sure what it was) - my teacher hated me from that point on!
Lump of solid sodium down the sink....wasnt thinking. :redface:
One time i was holding a test tube of ethanol and pushed my safety glasses up onto my head with the same hand resulting in spillage all over my back. It wasnt to serous but i was warned to stay away from the bunsens. :rolleyes:
Reply 26
I think the only thing I've done/always do however careful I am is bleach my hands white.
Reply 27
my chem teacher was using two bunsens when heating up some copper oxide and was told to switch gas taps

he then forgot to switch on off went to light the other bunsen and the gas tap went up

resulting in his long hair being burnt off leaving him with a moheiken at the back of his head
Reply 28
stressed_eric
hey,just wondering if ya all wanna share ur experiment cock ups and disasters in science.
i think mine was pretty classic,my alevel biology class was doin a prac on bacteria,and i managed to contamine everones prac with e-coli!! :eek: )
ah well,all is well now,but crist do i feel :redface:

How about applying a 12V potential across a 3Ω resistor resulting in a very unpleasant smell throughout the entire classroom...
Reply 29
One over mistake I made. I tried to shape a capillary tube (whilst melting its tip) with my BARE hands... I didnt know it was 300 degrees:frown:

My fingers now have white streaks along them...
Reply 30
Ok, so I was going top connect the 230V socket to a solenoid for a levitation experiment. I connect one contact to the solenoids south pole, one to teh north pole, to teh first socket hole, and then when I push it into the second one I hear a major crack from the fuse box. Turns out I have mannaged to connect the solenoid to itself with one wire, and then used the other wire to short circuit the net socket. Janitor had gone home so I could not finish the experiment until teh day afterwards...

Latest

Trending

Trending