The Student Room Group

Fear of anything that flies?

Does anyone else fear this? I tried to google it but couldn't find anything on it. There's specific phobias of fear of flies or birds but not about everything that flies.

I've been scared of anything that flies (animals and insects) since being a child. I've never had a traumatic experience with any of this.

But if i'm walking on the street and see a bird, I stomp my feet and if it doesn't fly away I cross the road. If there's a fly in my room, I can bare it..but anytime it flies near me it makes me nervous.

The fear is like..I don't want to be flown into, i'm not scared of how flying things look, i'm not scared of wings lol. Just being flown into, it would feel disgusting, imagine a bird beak hitting you in the face or a hairy fly hitting your cheek yuckkkkkkkk
Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone else fear this? I tried to google it but couldn't find anything on it. There's specific phobias of fear of flies or birds but not about everything that flies.

I've been scared of anything that flies (animals and insects) since being a child. I've never had a traumatic experience with any of this.

But if i'm walking on the street and see a bird, I stomp my feet and if it doesn't fly away I cross the road. If there's a fly in my room, I can bare it..but anytime it flies near me it makes me nervous.

The fear is like..I don't want to be flown into, i'm not scared of how flying things look, i'm not scared of wings lol. Just being flown into, it would feel disgusting, imagine a bird beak hitting you in the face or a hairy fly hitting your cheek yuckkkkkkkk

Does this fear only apply to animals/insects, or does it apply to flying objects too? Are you bothered, for example, by people throwing a ball or frisbee around?

Does it affect your daily life? If it does, maybe consider getting help with it.

EDIT: if you stamp near a bird to scare it off, surely that will make it fly... something you hate? I don't understand the reasoning there.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Does this fear only apply to animals/insects, or does it apply to flying objects too? Are you bothered, for example, by people throwing a ball or frisbee around?

Does it affect your daily life? If it does, maybe consider getting help with it.

EDIT: if you stamp near a bird to scare it off, surely that will make it fly... something you hate? I don't understand the reasoning there.

Nope it's just animals and insects. Fine with everything else, I play sports everyday in which stuff is thrown at me

It doesn't really affect my daily life, like if there's a fly around me i'll just move on wave my hands around to make it go away

And I stamp like when i'm far away, they still feel it and fly away but sometimes they don't. They keep getting braver each year lol. So if they don't fly away I just move to the end of the pavement to walk past them or I cross the street
Original post by Anonymous
Nope it's just animals and insects. Fine with everything else, I play sports everyday in which stuff is thrown at me

It doesn't really affect my daily life, like if there's a fly around me i'll just move on wave my hands around to make it go away

And I stamp like when i'm far away, they still feel it and fly away but sometimes they don't. They keep getting braver each year lol. So if they don't fly away I just move to the end of the pavement to walk past them or I cross the street

Personally, I don't think it's a full-blown phobia (where you hate the sight of the animal and are genuinely filled with terror by them), it's more that you just don't particularly like flying animals. It's not that big of a deal, loads of people don't like pigeons for example, but they don't have a phobia of them. :dontknow:
Oh my god that's exactly how I feel? I'm so glad I found your post because I was starting to think that I'm the only one with a fear like this, so glad that's not true. It's like, every time I see something flying at me, I feel so horribly disgusted and scared and horrified and just—eugh. It gives me shivers all over, and not the good kind. But it's exactly like you said, this doesn't mean I'm scared of wings or flying in general.
Reply 5
i get that too and its always hard to explain to people before they give me a weird face and brush me off. if someone has a pet bird, it must be securely in its cage for example if im in the room otherwise i would break down and cry or have a panic attack. same goes for objects of a similar trajectory of that to an animal. for example, a remote controlled helicopter. ive tried to push past it, but at the end of the day, i dont even like flying them myself so you can imagine my mental state if someone else were to fly it. when im outside i will always duck if anything comes near me, closer and closer to the floor to the point i have to run away. people scoff when i tell them that even butterflies make me freak out.
I am also glad I found this post, thank-you for sharing. I have a terrible fear of absolutely anything that fly's, regardless of whether it's an animal or object. I jump, flinch, panic and just feel pure sheer terror. Weird thing is Im one of the biggest animals lovers, I even like bees and beetles etc.. but as soon as they are flying and not on the ground I just freak out. I'm not scared of wings or anything like that, just a pure fear of absolutely anything hitting into my head or body. I can't even walk past people playing sports without constant panic and flinching everytime something is airborn and close by. Flying objects and animals from a distance don't bother me, I actually love watching them fly around from a distance, especially birds. But as soon as I hear them close to me I melt. It really does stress me out on a daily basis but I've struggled to figure out a term for it to be able to speak to anyone about it. I also get shrugged off and laughed at by everyone, every single time someone sees me flinching and panicking. I am 27 and have always struggled with this. I've never been stung by a bee or wasp and as far as I recall I don't have any traumatising memories of being hit by flying objects. It makes me feel so irrational at times and just wish I could find what this fear is called so that I could research further into it and try to work on my fear..
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Been looking for an answer to this too because it’s one of my top three fears. Butterflies, moths and bees have always bothered me the most because they are the most common (for me at least). I went to a bird sanctuary not thinking my phobia was extended to birds since they never flew at me before and I was ok around the cages but couldn’t handle being in the rooms where birds were allowed to fly around. I also play sports and have decent reflexes but have never been triggered by any inanimate objects even if it catches me by surprise. For context I’m 26 and I looked this up as I deal with a wasp in my bathroom alone for the first time since moving out. It’s been 16 hours, it’s still there.
(edited 1 month ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending