The Student Room Group

Full A2 means I could actually get less UCAS points?

Right

I currently have a B in Computing, which is 100 points for full A2 and 50 for AS.

So, I have 50 points for that subject.

Now I've been told I am already guaranteed an E, because of the number of marks I have.

So, I could totally mess up this summers exams and get an E. Which would then give me 40 points.

Is that correct? If so, that's a bit odd...
You would have 50 points, which is above the E boundary, but less than the D boundary... Hence an E
Reply 2
But isn't it 40 points for an A2 E?
oliverp
But isn't it 40 points for an A2 E?

It is. But are you actually likely to get an E? because if so, having previously got a B I would suggest you think about where you went wrong this year.

But surely if you've already got a B and 210UMS points surely you are going to be getting more than 30UMS points this year...? You are guaranteed an E because to get that you just need to turn up and write your name on the exam papers and pick up 30 points across the 3 modules - unless the only thing you do is write your name on the papers you are going to achieve higher than an E. And thus more UCAS points.
Reply 4
Oh no no I am not likely to get an E, it was just something I was thinking about -that keeping an AS could actually in some cases be better than an A2.
Reply 5
artorscience?
It is. But are you actually likely to get an E? because if so, having previously got a B I would suggest you think about where you went wrong this year.

But surely if you've already got a B and 210UMS points surely you are going to be getting more than 30UMS points this year...? You are guaranteed an E because to get that you just need to turn up and write your name on the exam papers and pick up 30 points across the 3 modules - unless the only thing you do is write your name on the papers you are going to achieve higher than an E. And thus more UCAS points.

You've missed his point.

By taking the A2 exam, he could actually end up with fewer UCAS points than if he didn't do the A2.
Robob
You've missed his point.

By taking the A2 exam, he could actually end up with fewer UCAS points than if he didn't do the A2.

No, by not bothering to take the exam he could end up with fewer points. But if he was of a B standard at AS how is he going to fail 3 modules so badly that he can't pick up 30UMS points out of the 300 available?
As long as you certificate the AS you cannot possibly lose out. You are guaranteed 50 UCAS points for the AS B grade and can go on to get an A2 worth more. At this stage, though, you are not guaranteed an E at A2 since you have fewer than 240 UMS (but more than 209). You could get zero in the A2 modules.
Reply 8
artorscience?
No, by not bothering to take the exam he could end up with fewer points. But if he was of a B standard at AS how is he going to fail 3 modules so badly that he can't pick up 30UMS points out of the 300 available?

I never said it was likely, just possible.
Reply 9
yeah I guess you could be better of not taking your A2... Mad world!

Latest

Trending

Trending