The Student Room Group

Please help with foundation year entry

I did nothing in my A level last year and did nothing in my gap year. I really regret my life, honestly. I could have applied to QMUL foundation last year but nope man decided to apply for the most ludicrous universities last year. I really really regret my life.

I got an A star in Maths and a B in Physics. Do you think it is likely I can get into QMUL Maths foundation year? I am 18 as of 2023 I was 17 when I did my A levels last year.

I only did 2 A levels.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by killerspeedforce
I did jackshit in my A level last year and did jackshit in my gap year. I really regret my life, honestly..

I got an A star in Maths and a B in Physics. Do you think it is likely I can get into QMUL Maths foundation year? I am 18 as of 2023 I was 17 when I did my A levels.

I only did 2 A levels.

Given that they ask for BBC, and that most students accepted into their 4-year Mathematics with Foundation course actually exceed those grades (see here for confirmation), it's seems unlikely that they'd accept your A*B grades.

However, it might be worth contacting their admissions team and asking the question whether they'd consider an applicant who only did two A levels. (Why was that, by the way? Did you drop-one you weren't doing well in, or perhaps take small BTEC alongside your two A levels?)

There are other universities with less demanding requirements. Were you specifically looking for a London-based university?
Original post by DataVenia
Given that they ask for BBC, and that most students accepted into their 4-year Mathematics with Foundation course actually exceed those grades (see here for confirmation), it's seems unlikely that they'd accept your A*B grades.

However, it might be worth contacting their admissions team and asking the question whether they'd consider an applicant who only did two A levels. (Why was that, by the way? Did you drop-one you weren't doing well in, or perhaps take small BTEC alongside your two A levels?)

There are other universities with less demanding requirements. Were you specifically looking for a London-based university

The honest reason, is laziness, I did my A levels privately self studied as well as working at the same time (my mum didn't pay for my A levels because apparently I need to take responsibility), I did A level CS as well, but since I did it privately I can't hand in "my cs project", which is absolutely crazy. So last year, when I was 17 I was making 3/4 quid an hour to pay a solid 600 quid to do my A levels privately (private exam Centre close to home), they even had an administration fee lol.

I did apply to UCAS very late, so I didn't apply to uni (because I thought I had no chance) so I decided to wait for clearing. I live in Surrey (very outskirts of London), so London is very close to my home.

I did check online and QMUL has an insane amount of clearing spaces every year and Maths isn't an extremely popular subject at uni. What do you think the likelihood of me getting in is? For the primary QMUL maths course, Only an A in normal Maths is needed and 2 Bs. My friend dgot into QMUL chemical engineering last year with A in Maths and a BD (primary course).

I can't thank you enough for your help.

Also my GCSE results were :999888777. I am a domestic UK student with British citizenship.
(edited 11 months ago)
I did my A levels privately self studied as well as working at the same time (my mum didn't pay for my A levels because apparently I need to take responsibility)

How very strange. Most UK students don't pay for A levels anyway (assuming that attend a state school / college).

I did A level CS as well, but since I did it privately I can't hand in "my cs project", which is absolutely crazy.

Ah, it would have been best if your exam centre (or even the exam board) had pointed out the issue with the Non-Exam Assessment aspect of some subjects (including Computer Science) before-hand. :frown:

I did check online and QMUL has an insane amount of clearing spaces every year and Maths isn't an extremely popular subject at uni. What do you think the likelihood of me getting in is? For the primary QMUL maths course, Only an A in normal Maths is needed and 2 Bs.

I don't think your grades are an issue in themselves - is the fact that there are only two of them. We can see from this page on DiscoverUni that 55% of students starting 4-year Mathematics with Foundation course at QMUL between 2018 2020 had UCAS points in the 96 - 111 points range. Your A*B is 96 points. However, a more likely grade profile is something like BCC, at 104 points.

If you have a dig around on https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/ you might find something interesting. For example, QMUL's response to this request shows that for BSc Computer Science they made an offer to one student (Student 372, a home applicant, non-contextual) who applied with just two A levels - at AB grades. So there's clearly a precedent there for making offers to candidates with just two A levels, at decent grades. So you might actually be in with a shout. :smile:

This search on UCAS for Mathematics courses at QMUL with vacancies includes their 4 year Mathematics with Foundation BSc (Hons) course - i.e. UCAS believe they're still accepting applications. So why wait until Clearing when you can apply now?
I did jackshit in my A level last year and did jackshit in my gap year. I really regret my life, honestly. I could have applied to QMUL foundation last year but nope man decided to apply for the most ludicrous universities last year. I really really regret my life.

I got an A star in Maths and a B in Physics. Do you think it is likely I can get into QMUL Maths foundation year? I am 18 as of 2023 I was 17 when I did my A levels last year.

I only did 2 A levels.

Why not take a further A level for a year. How about further Maths. You woud have the 3 A levels and get into a course without foundation year. It would just mean you waiting for a year. Maths and FM would look good if our applying for a Maths degree. Most wont accept you with 2 A levels and these days very few universities have the condition of completing all 3 A levels in the same sitting.
Reply 5
Back to the original question - have you phoned QMUL and asked if their Foundation course is still open to applications this year?
Original post by swanseajack1
Why not take a further A level for a year. How about further Maths. You woud have the 3 A levels and get into a course without foundation year. It would just mean you waiting for a year. Maths and FM would look good if our applying for a Maths degree. Most wont accept you with 2 A levels and these days very few universities have the condition of completing all 3 A levels in the same sitting.

Because my mum wants me out of the house by September so I need to independent from next year onwards therefore I could possibly do FM during my foundation year whilst in accom and then reapply to an even better uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending