The Student Room Group
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website

Uni start and UCAS

Hi
My daughter (19) has suddenly decided that she wants to go to UWE

She will be phoning the uni tomorrow but I thought I'd try and get some answers before she does.

The courses that she is interested in are still in clearing.
Due to a multitude of problems over the last few years, she doesn't have enough UCAS for the foundation course. however, I know that this is not necessarily a problem.
She does have 9 above average GCSEs

My questions .....

1) Clearing is open until Mid-October, Does this mean that although students are starting the courses next week that 'technically' she could also start as late as October

2) Would a student be ever admitted on a 3-year course even with below minimum UCAS points

Thank you in advance
1) Not necessarily. All courses will have a latest start date regardless of whether clearing is still open and whether the course still appears available in UCAS.

2) Yes. Although there may be less wriggle room for a FY.

She needs to call them tomorrow first thing to see if it’s even a possibility. I would encourage her not to rush any decision.
Frenchay Campus, Bristol University of the West of England
University of the West of England, Bristol
Bristol
Visit website
Original post by ronnieandb
Hi
My daughter (19) has suddenly decided that she wants to go to UWE

She will be phoning the uni tomorrow but I thought I'd try and get some answers before she does.

The courses that she is interested in are still in clearing.
Due to a multitude of problems over the last few years, she doesn't have enough UCAS for the foundation course. however, I know that this is not necessarily a problem.
She does have 9 above average GCSEs

My questions .....

1) Clearing is open until Mid-October, Does this mean that although students are starting the courses next week that 'technically' she could also start as late as October

2) Would a student be ever admitted on a 3-year course even with below minimum UCAS points

Thank you in advance

Hello ronnieandb,

I cannot speak with specificity on this as each course is different and some will accept late starts whilst others will not.

Regarding the lack of necessary UCAS points, in extenuating circumstances a student may be accepted on a 3 year course below UCAS points, however there are multiple and numerous factors that affect this, number of qualifications taken, subjects taken, GCSE grades and others pending the course. In this case a foundation year course is most likely to be a four year course though

I appreciate that your daughter has probably called the university and resolved this situation however if it has turned out that she could not get on the course she wanted and was short on UCAS points, I would recommend looking into some shorter courses that UCAS awards points for - contacting UCAS would be the best way to get this information - however I know that you gain UCAS points from an EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) or a COPE Level 3 Award.

Please let me know how she got on in applying through clearing as I may be able to offer more advice on her specific situation, feel free to private message.

All the Best

Martin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending