The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Clearing application for Computer Science at KCL

I recently completed a clearing form and applied for Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence and Medicine for King’s College London. I then received a congratulations email with a verbal offer for both Comp Sci and AI but an expected rejection for Medicine. I then immediately added Comp Sci as my UCAS clearing choice as it said I had to do so within 5 working days. The issue is, my place is yet to be confirmed on UCAS despite it being roughly 2 weeks now. What’s worse is that I received automated emails 2 days ago with rejections for all 3 courses. Can King’s now reject me despite giving me an initial verbal offer?
Original post by 29melih
I recently completed a clearing form and applied for Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence and Medicine for King’s College London. I then received a congratulations email with a verbal offer for both Comp Sci and AI but an expected rejection for Medicine. I then immediately added Comp Sci as my UCAS clearing choice as it said I had to do so within 5 working days. The issue is, my place is yet to be confirmed on UCAS despite it being roughly 2 weeks now. What’s worse is that I received automated emails 2 days ago with rejections for all 3 courses. Can King’s now reject me despite giving me an initial verbal offer?

Yes. A verbal offer is not really an offer at all. It is effectively giving you permission to apply via Clearing. Only once that receive that formal application do they "officially" consider it.

I believe that their list of courses available via Clearing is simply wrong, in that it lists course like Computer Science BSc and Artificial Intelligence BSc for which the Application status (here and here respectively) is "Closed". I emailed them yesterday to point out that this information was contradictory but have yet to receive a reply. It is extremely likely that these courses are not actually in Clearing and never have been. King's have a reputation for having a shambolic admissions process, unfortunately, and these sorts of errors are commonplace there. :frown:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Yes. A verbal offer is not really an offer at all. It is effectively giving you permission to apply via Clearing. Only once that receive that formal application do they "officially" consider it.

I believe that their list of courses available via Clearing is simply wrong, in that it lists course like Computer Science BSc and Artificial Intelligence BSc for which the Application status (here and here respectively) is "Closed". I emailed them yesterday to point out that this information was contradictory but have yet to receive a reply. It is extremely likely that these courses are not actually in Clearing and never have been. King's have a reputation for having a shambolic admissions process, unfortunately, and these sorts of errors are commonplace there. :frown:

Wow that’s been anything but relieving :frown:. I didn’t know about such a reputation at King’s and thought such a prestigious uni would have their stuff together. I see what you mean about the courses appearing as ‘Closed’ on their website but the courses do appear as on clearing on UCAS. Fingers crossed they stand by their word and I am indeed made an offer.
Original post by 29melih
Wow that’s been anything but relieving :frown:. I didn’t know about such a reputation at King’s and thought such a prestigious uni would have their stuff together. I see what you mean about the courses appearing as ‘Closed’ on their website but the courses do appear as on clearing on UCAS. Fingers crossed they stand by their word and I am indeed made an offer.

Fingers crossed indeed.

Do let us know what happens. :crossedf:
Reply 4
It's possible they're already full since I applied for CS the day clearing opened and had my place confirmed 2 weeks ago. Had to keep bothering them to get an update though :frown:. Agree that King's in general has terrible admin I mean look at applicants from last year loads of people got shafted rip. Hopefully all works out for you.
Reply 5
Original post by MKTechDoc
It's possible they're already full since I applied for CS the day clearing opened and had my place confirmed 2 weeks ago. Had to keep bothering them to get an update though :frown:. Agree that King's in general has terrible admin I mean look at applicants from last year loads of people got shafted rip. Hopefully all works out for you.

What exactly happened last year? It’d be ridiculous if I’m rejected having been congratulated about my offer :smile:. So it took you roughly 2 weeks to get confirmation. I applied on the 8th, received a verbal offer on the 19th and no update on UCAS since. I’ve sent them emails too but no response. Let’s hope you’re wrong and there are still spaces available. Congrats on your offer.
Reply 6
Original post by 29melih
What exactly happened last year? It’d be ridiculous if I’m rejected having been congratulated about my offer :smile:. So it took you roughly 2 weeks to get confirmation. I applied on the 8th, received a verbal offer on the 19th and no update on UCAS since. I’ve sent them emails too but no response. Let’s hope you’re wrong and there are still spaces available. Congrats on your offer.

Essentially they didn't update a lot of people's applications to the point that the UCAS deadline for a uni to give decisions on offers came around and UCAS auto-rejected them all. Can't blame anyone for being upset about it the admin last year was terrible. As said above a verbal offer isn't technically binding since UCAS isn't involved in that, but hopefully King's will honour it. Emailing isn't the fastest I'll admit, I always tried calling or using the live chat option to at least speak to an actual person. You could try that.

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study-at-kings/contact#form
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by MKTechDoc
Essentially they didn't update a lot of people's applications to the point that the UCAS deadline for a uni to give decisions on offers came around and UCAS auto-rejected them all. Can't blame anyone for being upset about it the admin last year was terrible. As said above a verbal offer isn't technically binding since UCAS isn't involved in that, but hopefully King's will honour it. Emailing isn't the fastest I'll admit, I always tried calling or using the live chat option to at least speak to an actual person. You could try that.

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study-at-kings/contact#form

I guess this suggests that spaces are still available and it’s just that specific course webpages haven’t been updated. They have allegedly escalated my issue and will make a return. Let’s see.
Reply 8
hi i called them about this. the AI and CS course are in clearing surprisingly. im interested in applying for the AI course myself, but only on results day because i no longer want to go to my firm/insurance choices anymore.
Reply 9
Original post by Hiim
hi i called them about this. the AI and CS course are in clearing surprisingly. im interested in applying for the AI course myself, but only on results day because i no longer want to go to my firm/insurance choices anymore.

It really is surprising. Such courses are generally always over subscribed especially at such a great uni as KCL. Good luck with your application!
Reply 10
Original post by 29melih
It really is surprising. Such courses are generally always over subscribed especially at such a great uni as KCL. Good luck with your application!

Thank you. What grades and subjects are you applying with?
Reply 11
Original post by Hiim
Thank you. What grades and subjects are you applying with?

I have 3 A’s in Maths, Bio and Chem. It’s under the requirement but I think they gave me a contextual offer.
Reply 12
Original post by 29melih
I have 3 A’s in Maths, Bio and Chem. It’s under the requirement but I think they gave me a contextual offer.

amazing grades man best of luck
Reply 13
Fingers crossed indeed.

Do let us know what happens. :crossedf:

Update.

They’re no longer considering my application for cs but have began considering my application for an ‘alternative’ programme. I don’t know how that serves justice but i guess it’s something. I don’t know what they’re going to base which course to choose though, I reckon one that happens to be in clearing :smile:. Aug 17 is a big day.
Original post by 29melih
Update.

They’re no longer considering my application for cs but have began considering my application for an ‘alternative’ programme. I don’t know how that serves justice but i guess it’s something. I don’t know what they’re going to base which course to choose though, I reckon one that happens to be in clearing :smile:. Aug 17 is a big day.

Thanks for the update. Did they say why they're no longer considering your application, given that you "received a congratulations email with a verbal offer for both Comp Sci and AI"?

Remember not to just accept what ever alternative course they offer you (if they do). Make sure it's a course you'd actually be interesting in studying. There's little point in spending three years a university studying something you have little interested in, which won't take you towards the career you want, just for the perceived "prestige" of the KCL brand.

With "3 A’s in Maths, Bio and Chem" I'd have thought there may be quite a few options for you come August 17th. A big day, indeed. :smile:
Reply 15
Thanks for the update. Did they say why they're no longer considering your application, given that you "received a congratulations email with a verbal offer for both Comp Sci and AI"?

Remember not to just accept what ever alternative course they offer you (if they do). Make sure it's a course you'd actually be interesting in studying. There's little point in spending three years a university studying something you have little interested in, which won't take you towards the career you want, just for the perceived "prestige" of the KCL brand.

With "3 A’s in Maths, Bio and Chem" I'd have thought there may be quite a few options for you come August 17th. A big day, indeed. :smile:

Nope, no explanation or reasoning provided behind their decision. It really is harsh and unjust getting my hopes up by congratulating me about an offer. I emailed them with the screenshot of the email several times but they seem to be ignoring it.

And yes, thank you for the advice. I hope some decent courses fall into clearing this year and I can find a place that way. As you said, there’s no point studying a course I’m not content with simply because it’s at KCL.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by 29melih
Nope, no explanation or reasoning provided behind their decision. It really is harsh and unjust getting my hopes up by congratulating me about an offer. I emailed them with the screenshot of the email several times but they seem to be ignoring it.

And yes, thank you for the advice. I hope some decent courses fall into clearing this year and I can find a place that way. As you said, there’s no point studying a course I’m not content with simply because it’s at KCL.

Harsh indeed.
Reply 17
Original post by 29melih

Wow very harsh. There must of been some error handling your application. I do reccomend you try again on results day if that’s an option, as there will be a much more clear picture as to how many spaces KCL has to offer. What course was this rejection response addressing? The AI course or CS?
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest