The Student Room Group

GCSE maths foundation or higher for PGCE?

Hi, I am after some advice. I am planning to apply for the PGCE but I have to sit the GCSE English, maths and science for primary Pgce. So my question is is it foundation maths you have to sit for or the higher maths for primary Pgce?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.. thanks
Original post by Fnas81
Hi, I am after some advice. I am planning to apply for the PGCE but I have to sit the GCSE English, maths and science for primary Pgce. So my question is is it foundation maths you have to sit for or the higher maths for primary Pgce?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.. thanks

It seems the general requirement is a grade 4 in maths and science.
If all you are aiming for is a grade 4, I'd recommend doing foundation tier. However, if you are aiming for a higher grade, I'd say the higher tier is better.

So you can do either tier so it's up to you:
Higher tier requires less marks for a grade 4 but has a lot of difficult content
Foundation tier requires more marks for a grade 4 but doesn't contain any of the really difficult content

If you're not sure, I'd say do the foundation tier because as long as you get your grade 4, you can do the PGCE course.
Reply 2
Thankyou very much for the prompt reply. 😊
Reply 3
Which tiers( foundation or higher tier) is needed to meet GCSE Grade 4 requirement for QTS?
Thanks
Original post by Bolaphilip
Which tiers( foundation or higher tier) is needed to meet GCSE Grade 4 requirement for QTS?
Thanks

This thread is four years old which probably explains why it's taken so long to get a reply.

It's the grade that you need, not the tier. I'd suggest going for the foundation tier.

What are you hoping to teach?
Reply 5
Original post by _Boomerang
This thread is four years old which probably explains why it's taken so long to get a reply.

It's the grade that you need, not the tier. I'd suggest going for the foundation tier.

What are you hoping to teach?

No I want to use it for registration for QTS.
Original post by Bolaphilip
No I want to use it for registration for QTS.

You just need grade 4 or above. The tier does not matter.

Quick Reply

Latest