The Student Room Group

Will resitting my gcse twice affect my choice of uni

My completed his GCSEs and passed with the highest he could get which is a five but he wants to do some engineering in uni and so he’s going to take a foundation year because he wasn’t allowed to do a level maths. To do a foundation year he needs a 6/7 he resat his GCSEs though it was a higher paper this time and he got a 5 so he’s going to resit it again. But he’s worried that because he’s resat twice it might affect him getting into uni and doing what he wants I just need to check if this would affect him.
Original post by Posreh
My completed his GCSEs and passed with the highest he could get which is a five but he wants to do some engineering in uni and so he’s going to take a foundation year because he wasn’t allowed to do a level maths. To do a foundation year he needs a 6/7 he resat his GCSEs though it was a higher paper this time and he got a 5 so he’s going to resit it again. But he’s worried that because he’s resat twice it might affect him getting into uni and doing what he wants I just need to check if this would affect him.

Hi

I cant say exactly till what extent it will affect as it depends upon the unis and how they view it. All I can say is that if the course he is applying for, is very competitive at a uni then if another student has achieved the same grade as him in one sitting, he would be preferred over him. So, in a way yes it will be a slight disadvantage for the top unis. However, this doesnt means that he shouldnt retake if he wants a better grade. Retaking it should only benefit rather than loss.

Generally, retaking A levels is much more frowned upon than GCSEs

In conclusion, there should be no harm but there MIGHT also not be a lot of benefit.

I hope you got my point and this helps!

I am not gonna crap on about saying that he will have a lot of options in his life and there are many other routes to it... Bla bla bla. You already know that I guess
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
You need to check with the unis.

But if he got a 5 in the higher paper is he really cut out for engineering at University level considering the Maths involved? Something to ponder.
Reply 3
Original post by Dnsnnssn
You need to check with the unis.

But if he got a 5 in the higher paper is he really cut out for engineering at University level considering the Maths involved? Something to ponder.

He’s actually alright at math and engineering is something he’s always wanted to do. He’s had to teach himself the whole GCSE Higher syllabus in 3 months on top of exams from sixth form. He’s used to do foundation because he didn’t really concentrate in school and when he did he was doing foundation maths really easily but they wouldn’t move him up because they weren’t sure if he would concentrate so he did foundation witch he passed with ease

Quick Reply

Latest