The Student Room Group

The Hard Grade 9 Questions Thread 2019

Scroll to see replies

Signs are opposite?
Original post by Notnek
Both of you have made the same (small) mistake in your working. I'll let you both think about it.
Reply 201
Original post by ThunderBeard
Signs are opposite?

Why?
I moved the e1uations to the other side so
0<3x^2 +5x -3
So x > 0.468 instead of x< 0.468?
Original post by Notnek
Why?
Reply 203
Original post by ThunderBeard
I moved the e1uations to the other side so
0<3x^2 +5x -3
So x > 0.468 instead of x< 0.468?

That's correct now. I don't know how you solved the inequality but if you moved to x24-x^2-4 to the other side then you have to switch the inequality sign around because x24-x^2-4 is negative.
Original post by Notnek
That's correct now. I don't know how you solved the inequality but if you moved to x24-x^2-4 to the other side then you have to switch the inequality sign around because x24-x^2-4 is negative.

Really? My bad. I have no idea for the mistake though.
Original post by Notnek
A sequence of numbers is formed by the iterative process

un+2=un+1un\displaystyle u_{n+2} = \frac{u_{n+1}}{u_n}

u1=2u_1 = 2 and u2=6u_2=6

Find the value of u2019u_{2019}

OK, I'll start on this.

u3=62=3u_3 = \dfrac{6}{2} = 3

u4=36=12u_4 = \dfrac{3}{6} = \dfrac{1}{2}

u5=1/23=1/6u_5 = \dfrac{1/2}{3} = 1/6

Come back to me in the morning, I think I should be at u2019u_{2019} by then :smile:
Reply 206
Original post by RDKGames
OK, I'll start on this.

u3=62=3u_3 = \dfrac{6}{2} = 3

u4=36=12u_4 = \dfrac{3}{6} = \dfrac{1}{2}

u5=1/23=1/6u_5 = \dfrac{1/2}{3} = 1/6

Come back to me in the morning, I think I should be at u2019u_{2019} by then :smile:

:smile:

I actually stole this from question from MAT :ninja:
Reply 207
In a sale the original cost of a phone is reduced by xy\frac{x}{y} giving a sale price of £200, where xx and yy are positive integers and x<yx<y.

Later in the year the sale is removed and instead the original cost of the phone is increased by xx% giving a new price of £250.

a) Find an equation for xx and yy in the form

y=axbcx\displaystyle y=\frac{ax}{b-cx}

where aa, bb and cc are numbers to be found.

b) What is the largest possible value of xx? Explain your answer.
Does anyone have adding or subtracting algebraic fractions where there is 3 fraction instead if 2? they may not be grade 9 but ive only seen them once by my exam board and that was in nov 2018 retakes and they will most likely come up this year so i might need some practice, so if anyone has any or know where to find them that would be appreciated
check june 2017 paper 2
Original post by OllyDaws
Does anyone have adding or subtracting algebraic fractions where there is 3 fraction instead if 2? they may not be grade 9 but ive only seen them once by my exam board and that was in nov 2018 retakes and they will most likely come up this year so i might need some practice, so if anyone has any or know where to find them that would be appreciated
exam board?

Original post by ghjvhuj
check june 2017 paper 2
Original post by OllyDaws
exam board?

edexcel
Original post by ghjvhuj
edexcel

thanks
Original post by Notnek
An arc of a circle with equation x2+y2=r2x^2+y^2=r^2 is shown below

Calculate the length of this arc.

2.476??
Hi
Reply 215
Original post by Notnek
I'll kick things off with one that I've posted the last 2 years and was done badly in both threads:

The value of is 32.123 degrees correct to 3 decimal places. The value of yy is 62.425 degrees correct to the nearest 0.005 degrees.

By considering bounds, find the value of to a suitable degree of accuracy. You must show all of your working.
0.8513?

Quick Reply

Latest