The Student Room Group

The Hard Grade 9 Questions Thread 2019

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by IsMo987
Hey is there are hard questions for probability or ratio

Have a look through this thread as well as the 2018 & 2017 threads (links in the first posts). It’s hard to remember what types of questions have been asked already.
Original post by Notnek
You can get the same answer with wrong working - not saying you did though :smile:

There’s a part of the question where the majority of students would slip up.

O wow... okay for the sake of it I’ll write it out ( sorry if it’s not visually like amazing aha )

Idk but this app kills quality haha ( ignore second pic, forgot to write cos )
Attachment not found
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by sarahflower9
O wow... okay for the sake of it I’ll write it out ( sorry if it’s not visually like amazing aha )

Idk but this app kills quality haha
Attachment not found

At first glance I think you've made a few mistakes. When working out the UB of z, why did you choose the UB of x?
Original post by Notnek
At first glance I think you've made a few mistakes. When working out the UB of z, why did you choose the UB of x?

I’ve always been taught that in order to work out the upper bound of something , it is the upper bound / lower bound hence y I used the upper bound of x
Reply 44
I’ve always been taught that in order to work out the upper bound of something , it is the upper bound / lower bound hence y I used the upper bound of x

Here you’re doing 2 minus “something” so to find the UB of z you need that “something” to be as small as possible. So you actually need to find the LB of the fraction.

This is a hard question - probably harder than any bounds question in an exam.
Original post by Notnek
Here you’re doing 2 minus “something” so to find the UB of z you need that “something” to be as small as possible. So you actually need to find the LB of the fraction.

This is a hard question - probably harder than any bounds question in an exam.

OMG OMG OMG oh yeah oh yeah ...... didn’t think it through:/ Ahhh thank you for pointing this out

Would I have lost marks for that even though the answer is correct ?
Reply 46
OMG OMG OMG oh yeah oh yeah ...... didn’t think it through:/ Ahhh thank you for pointing this out

Would I have lost marks for that even though the answer is correct ?

If this question was in an exam then it would say “you must show all your working”. You would get no marks in this case if the working was wrong.

Also a real equation would probably make it so that incorrect working produced an incorrect answer. When I made this question I rushed it a bit :smile:
Original post by Notnek
If this question was in an exam then it would say “you must show all your working”. You would get no marks in this case if the working was wrong.

Also a real equation would probably make it so that incorrect working produced an incorrect answer. When I made this question I rushed it a bit :smile:

Ah no problem please make more of these ones! To be fair I wasn’t really like thinking through logically what I was doing , so this is good practice for me to always do that just because a question looks easy.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 48
Ah no problem please make more of these ones! To be fair I wasn’t really like thinking through logically what I was doing , so this is good practice for me to always do that just because a question looks easy.

Thank you :smile:

By the way there’s a harder part to this question which is the part that most people would get wrong. It’s to do with sin and cos.
Reply 49
(Non-calculator)

0.4a˙+0.5a˙4˙=0.967˙6˙0.4\dot{a} + 0.5\dot{a}\dot{4} = 0.96\dot{7}\dot{6}

Find the value of the digit aa.

(the dot notation represents a recurring digit e.g. 0.3b˙2˙=0.3b2b2b2b2b2....0.3\dot{b}\dot{2} = 0.3b2b2b2b2b2....)

EDIT: There is a very simple way to do this question which makes it no longer grade 9 :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Notnek
(Non-calculator)

0.4a˙+0.5a˙4˙=0.967˙6˙0.4\dot{a} + 0.5\dot{a}\dot{4} = 0.96\dot{7}\dot{6}

Find the value of the digit aa.

???????????????????????????????
(edited 5 years ago)
Where do you get these questions from?
Reply 52
Original post by Chemist123
???????????????????????????????

Do you not understand the question or how to work it out?

Where do you get these questions from?

Normally I make them myself like this one.
I am very confused plz explain
Reply 54
I am very confused plz explain

Do you understand the question?
Original post by Notnek
Do you understand the question?

no
Reply 56
no

Are you familiar with recurring decimal notation e.g. 0.34˙0.3\dot{4} means 0.344444...?
Original post by Notnek
Are you familiar with recurring decimal notation e.g. 0.34˙0.3\dot{4} means 0.344444...?

Yeah
A is 3?
Reply 59
Yeah

Well the question should make sense then e.g. 0.4a˙=0.4aaaaaa....0.4\dot{a} = 0.4aaaaaa..... You're probably not used to recurring decimals with unknown digits like this but the principle is the same.

Quick Reply

Latest