The Student Room Group

The Hard Grade 9 Questions Thread 2019

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by IsMo987
Help please can someone out line the method I would need and the equation for the radius and angle

First you need to find the radius of the sector in the diagram. Please post what you’ve tried.
Original post by Notnek
First you need to find the radius of the sector in the diagram. Please post what you’ve tried.30EEA10C-9120-4F55-8ED7-3FA3941647CC.jpg.jpeg
Original post by IsMo987
Help please can someone out line the method I would need and the equation for the radius and angle

i cud if it was rotated
Original post by salimyasin10
i cud if it was rotated

What do you mean
Reply 84
Original post by IsMo987
Original post by Notnek
First you need to find the radius of the sector in the diagram. Please post what you’ve tried.30EEA10C-9120-4F55-8ED7-3FA3941647CC.jpg.jpeg

Sorry, ignore my last post - finding the radius is not necessary.

Since the formula is A=θ360πr2A=\frac{\theta}{ 360 } \pi r^2, if the radius is fixed then AA is proportional to θ\theta. So you can use basic ratio/proportion methods to find the area here. Does that make sense?
Original post by Notnek
Sorry, ignore my last post - finding the radius is not necessary.

Since the formula is
Unparseable latex formula:

A=\frac{\theta}{360) \pi r^2

, if the radius is fixed then AA is proportional to θ\theta. So you can use basic ratio/proportion methods to find the area here. Does that make sense?

Noooo😭😭😭
i cant see the pic properly
Original post by IsMo987
What do you mean
Reply 87
Original post by IsMo987
Noooo😭😭😭

The area is proportional to the angle. So if the angle doubles then the area will double (assuming the radius remains the same).

So you can ignore the fact that this is a sector and just use basic ratio. Still unsure?
Original post by Notnek
The area is proportional to the angle. So if the angle doubles then the area will double (assuming the radius remains the same).

So you can ignore the fact that this is a sector and just use basic ratio. Still unsure?

How do you know it’s proportional tho sorry for being annoying
Reply 89
Original post by IsMo987
How do you know it’s proportional tho sorry for being annoying

Because the formula is A=θ360×πr2A=\frac{\theta}{360} \times \pi r^2

So if the radius remains the same (i.e. it's a constant) then the whole right-hand-side is just some constant multiplied by θ\theta:

A=kθA = k\theta

where kk is some constant. So A must be proportional to θ\theta.
i cant see the pic properly

I11D0E781-18B8-4097-A3EB-FD318EEF68D4.jpg.jpeg
Reply 91
@IsMo987 if you don't like this method (most GCSE students wouldn't) then you can just find the radius and go from there but it's a much longer method. But if you're targeting an 8/9 then you should be comfortable with this kind of proportionality argument.
Reply 92
If you're targeting grade 8/9 and need a circle theorems challenge then have a go at this :smile: Definitely print it out first.

yh
Original post by Notnek
If you're targeting grade 8/9 and need a circle theorems challenge then have a go at this :smile: Definitely print it out first.

Do you have any more hard non calculator questions especially for ratio and proportion if you don’t could you please make some
x^2+157x+12=0 Solve with the quadratic formula to find x.
thanks, i got 42.5, is that right?
Original post by IsMo987
I11D0E781-18B8-4097-A3EB-FD318EEF68D4.jpg.jpeg

Yh could you send me your working

8A2CF629-ADB0-4B43-AB9D-301D31288CB2.jpg.jpeg what about this one
i cant see it clearly but dd i get the first one right, also did u? coz it was long but quite straightfoward
Original post by IsMo987
8A2CF629-ADB0-4B43-AB9D-301D31288CB2.jpg.jpeg what about this one

Quick Reply

Latest