The Student Room Group

How to go from grade 2 to grade 4 in maths in 5 weeks??

GCSEs are coming up & I've just got my mock results in maths which is a grade 2! I need to go to sixth form so i can get A levels. The sixth form i want to go to has a non-negotiable rule that you MUST get a grade 4 in maths & english . Am I doomed?? I need urgent help! This is really depressing me , I don't know what to do?!?!?
Original post by commiesystem
GCSEs are coming up & I've just got my mock results in maths which is a grade 2! I need to go to sixth form so i can get A levels. The sixth form i want to go to has a non-negotiable rule that you MUST get a grade 4 in maths & english . Am I doomed?? I need urgent help! This is really depressing me , I don't know what to do?!?!?

Maths is lucky because you can find a lot of past papers. That would be my recommendation. Use the exam board websites or maths and physics tutor or any number of websites and just practice. That’ll be the best way for you to improve quickly
ok ok, relax.
stop panicking; like literally, just stop panicking.
firstly, ask your teachers if you can have your papers back, or email them or contact them in anyway to ask them what topics you missed marks on the most.
then, once you have that information (worstly done topics), find questions online about those topics. idk if u've ever heard of google? it's a really cool browser that gives you access to things like past papers and sample questions.
print these out.
do the questions, without help, without your phone. just do them.
once you've done them, look up the mark scheme, red pen it, and work out your percentage on that set of questions.
do this for several more of the topics you struggled on.
now, prioritise the worstly done topic, and research videos on youtube on how to do them. if you still don't understand it,
don't! have! shame! to! ask! your! teacher!
re-do those exact same questions with the method you learnt from teachers or videos.
if necessary, use flashcards or any cards to write the formulae that you needed but didn't know how to use.
finally, the most important thing to do is relax and don't stress, have breaks but strict breaks because if you reward yourself with too many breaks then you'll literally go on your phone and lay in bed.
good luck!
im not even going to lie i also got a 2 in my maths mock and a 3 in english, my gcses are this may and i dont know what to do either
my top tip for maths is to practice as much as you can. don't bother with notes or reading textbooks at all it won't help you because maths is something you learn by practising. first step is to try maybe 2-3 past papers and mark them then write out a list of the topics you're bad at. practice these topics by doing textbook questions, physics and maths tutor, and doctor frost maths. also the cgp practice workbooks are really useful. instead of cramming practice little and often, half an hour a day is better than a 3.5 hour burst at the end of the week. try to plan out your revision and remove distractions to stop yourself from procrastinating. keep coming back to past papers and always focus your attention on the topics your find hardest.
for english, make flashcards of different literary techniques that might come up in passages, you can find lists of these on bbc bitesize, cgp study guides etc. English language is another subject though where mostly you just need to practice, make sure you read through mark schemes so you know what the examiners are looking for. get your teacher to look through questions you've done and listen to their feedback. doing a whole past paper can be quite daunting so you can just practice individual questions.
when doing past papers make sure you do them under exam conditions so you can be sure you're relying only on your own knowledge and can get used to managing your time effectively. sorry this is so long but I hope some of this helps you and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest