The Student Room Group

Is this possible

Is it possible to go from a 2 to a grade 5 in GCSE maths and from a 3-3 to a 5-5 in combined science and from a 2 in history to a 6 with only three months left. Is this possible I only have three month and I want to get the highest grade possible I already have all the CGP and Collins books for the subjects
Original post by Grace4343
Is it possible to go from a 2 to a grade 5 in GCSE maths and from a 3-3 to a 5-5 in combined science and from a 2 in history to a 6 with only three months left. Is this possible I only have three month and I want to get the highest grade possible I already have all the CGP and Collins books for the subjects

I believe that you can, but you will need a lot of mentorship/tutelage and it will depend on you as a person.

Are there specific reasons to why you are getting 2s and 3s? If you don't know what they are, you will need to look into them and do a lot of self reflection.

You will need to use the books appropriately and use a very drastic revision strategy in my opinion. Do you use past papers, review the mark scheme, and know why you score the grades that you did?

You will likely need to do a lot of cross examination and take a deep look into these subjects.

I would watch the following videos for more information and help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEKC9pvrv_c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8yC4bBYyos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1wur510e9M

There are other videos that you can look up on YouTube for further tips, but they should more or less echo similiar advice: past papers, past papers, past papers (you want to keep your eye on the end goal (exam performance) and not just cram in information). Then work on your weakest areas for the biggest improvement.
To me, the books you have are great for reviewing specific topics where you are weak in, but generally they don't provide you with the exam strategy or exam practice that you need (unless it's an exam practice book).
If you are stuck or don't know what to do, the mark scheme should give you an outline of what you should be doing. I would then use the books to revise the material that you are weak in.

I would also recommend getting a tutor for some of these subjects. From what I can tell, I think one of the main reasons why you are scoring the grades you are for some of these subjects is because you haven't picked up certain skills needed in those subjects (it's a conjecture, not a statement).

Note: I am not saying you will definitely achieve 5s and 6s, nor am I saying that it's easy. It will take a lot of work and you will need to work very hard and be very smart about it.

Possible - yes? Likely - no.
Original post by Reality Check
Possible - yes? Likely - no.

Why is it less likely
Original post by MindMax2000
I believe that you can, but you will need a lot of mentorship/tutelage and it will depend on you as a person.

Are there specific reasons to why you are getting 2s and 3s? If you don't know what they are, you will need to look into them and do a lot of self reflection.

You will need to use the books appropriately and use a very drastic revision strategy in my opinion. Do you use past papers, review the mark scheme, and know why you score the grades that you did?

You will likely need to do a lot of cross examination and take a deep look into these subjects.

I would watch the following videos for more information and help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEKC9pvrv_c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8yC4bBYyos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1wur510e9M

There are other videos that you can look up on YouTube for further tips, but they should more or less echo similiar advice: past papers, past papers, past papers (you want to keep your eye on the end goal (exam performance) and not just cram in information). Then work on your weakest areas for the biggest improvement.
To me, the books you have are great for reviewing specific topics where you are weak in, but generally they don't provide you with the exam strategy or exam practice that you need (unless it's an exam practice book).
If you are stuck or don't know what to do, the mark scheme should give you an outline of what you should be doing. I would then use the books to revise the material that you are weak in.

I would also recommend getting a tutor for some of these subjects. From what I can tell, I think one of the main reasons why you are scoring the grades you are for some of these subjects is because you haven't picked up certain skills needed in those subjects (it's a conjecture, not a statement).

Note: I am not saying you will definitely achieve 5s and 6s, nor am I saying that it's easy. It will take a lot of work and you will need to work very hard and be very smart about it.

The main reason I am getting theses grades are that because sometimes I don’t know the topic and my exam technique is bad. I have the textbooks and the exam practice workbook. If I use those alongside other resources such as YouTube videos or GCSE maths and physics tutor would I be able to secure grade 5 and 6s.
Why is it less likely

It's a big ask for anyone to increase by four grades, but in less than twelve weeks... Obviously, I hope you can make it, but I'd concentrate on getting at least a 4 in maths and English rather than worrying about history.
It's a big ask for anyone to increase by four grades, but in less than twelve weeks... Obviously, I hope you can make it, but I'd concentrate on getting at least a 4 in maths and English rather than worrying about history.

I am already getting 6s in my English which is why I’m not very worried about English it’s just the subject I’m struggling with
I am already getting 6s in my English which is why I’m not very worried about English it’s just the subject I’m struggling with

The 2 at maths is what I would concentrate on, as that's a bit of a worry.
The 2 at maths is what I would concentrate on, as that's a bit of a worry.

I was 4 marks off a 3 but in order for me to get a 4 how many hours a day would I need to study for. In class I am very good like I can even do grade 6 work but when it comes to exams i just forget everything.
And for history I got a 2 because I didn’t revise but I will definitely revise it for the real thing.
(edited 1 year ago)
The main reason I am getting theses grades are that because sometimes I don’t know the topic and my exam technique is bad. I have the textbooks and the exam practice workbook. If I use those alongside other resources such as YouTube videos or GCSE maths and physics tutor would I be able to secure grade 5 and 6s.

Yeah, getting good grades require preparation and diligence. If you aren't learning, revising, or working on the material regularly before your exam period, your grades will worsen.

Revision guides are only useful if you have already learned the material. If you haven't, the guides will be of limited help. You would need to go through the material before you start revising then.

YouTube videos are brilliant for going over material where you don't understand, where you need revising, or if you don't know what to do. What they aren't ideal for is learning new material - you have lessons and notes for that.

Tutors would be great to help you with exam techniques, refining your answers, and going through exercises. If you don't understand some bits of the material, they are also good as well. However, they aren't really there to teach you the syllabus.

I get maths, science, and history aren't subjects to everyone's taste, but you chose one and the others are mandatory.

Nothing is guaranteed (including your grades). The only thing that you can do is try your best and do all you can to get as far as you can.

My recommendation is to go through the material alongside working on past papers to highlight what you don't understand. This should cut down the time you would need to do both. Usually the exam questions would be better probes for information and help with memorisation more than just cramming information.

If you have at least gone through the entire syllabi for all subjects, then I would go for the tutor. Try to do all of this within a week where possible. Continue with past papers for all subjects until your exams in May/June.
If you don't understand the material, then use the revision guides or YouTube videos.

Heya!
It is possible but you will need to work hard and make sure you focus on your revision and doing past papers :h: How do you currently revise? Do you do past papers and look at mark schemes to know how to answer questions properly? Do you make revision notes?

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by username6071238
How many hours a day would I need to study for.

It’s not about how many hours you do, it’s about what you do in the hours that you study.
Reply 12
Original post by MindMax2000
Yeah, getting good grades require preparation and diligence. If you aren't learning, revising, or working on the material regularly before your exam period, your grades will worsen.

Revision guides are only useful if you have already learned the material. If you haven't, the guides will be of limited help. You would need to go through the material before you start revising then.

YouTube videos are brilliant for going over material where you don't understand, where you need revising, or if you don't know what to do. What they aren't ideal for is learning new material - you have lessons and notes for that.

Tutors would be great to help you with exam techniques, refining your answers, and going through exercises. If you don't understand some bits of the material, they are also good as well. However, they aren't really there to teach you the syllabus.

I get maths, science, and history aren't subjects to everyone's taste, but you chose one and the others are mandatory.

Nothing is guaranteed (including your grades). The only thing that you can do is try your best and do all you can to get as far as you can.

My recommendation is to go through the material alongside working on past papers to highlight what you don't understand. This should cut down the time you would need to do both. Usually the exam questions would be better probes for information and help with memorisation more than just cramming information.

If you have at least gone through the entire syllabi for all subjects, then I would go for the tutor. Try to do all of this within a week where possible. Continue with past papers for all subjects until your exams in May/June.
If you don't understand the material, then use the revision guides or YouTube new to England- not sure how it works but what do you use for learning topics if revision books are for revision only ?

Hi - new to England and not sure how it works - but what can we use to learn topics if Revision books are limited for revision only.
Original post by Todozz
Hi - new to England and not sure how it works - but what can we use to learn topics if Revision books are limited for revision only.

There are usually textbooks specific for the course available as well as various YouTube videos (since teachers like to use various third party resources as part of their teaching). See the following as examples:
https://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/secondary/subjects/mathematics-secondary/pearson-edexcel-gcse-9-1-mathematics/pearson-edexcel-gcse-9-1-mathematics-higher-student-book-1-2
https://www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/secondary/subjects/mathematics-secondary/pearson-edexcel-gcse-9-1-mathematics/pearson-edexcel-gcse-9-1-mathematics-higher-student-book-1-2
https://collins.co.uk/pages/secondary-maths-collins-gcse-maths-aqa
https://collins.co.uk/products/9780007597437

Whilst I wouldn't say revision books are restricted specifically for revision, it's what they're designed for.

Quick Reply

Latest