The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews - Ask A Current Student Thread [part 2]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
My accom is in DRA. Does anyone know what the RK bit of the address stands for?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by PRSuii
My accom is in DRA. Does anyone know what the RK bit of the address stands for?

RK - ruskin.

The first two numbers are the flat and the last two are the room
Can anyone tell me anything about ABH? Ive been told it’s kind of far out and a bit dreary. Is that accurate? Do they try to get a mix of international and UK students in each hall or are some more international, some more American and some more UK-heavy? Thanks.
Original post by Anonymous
Can anyone tell me anything about ABH? Ive been told it’s kind of far out and a bit dreary. Is that accurate? Do they try to get a mix of international and UK students in each hall or are some more international, some more American and some more UK-heavy? Thanks.

The building ain’t the prettiest but it has a great community. It’s about a 5-10 min walk from town and right next to the maths and medicine buildings. I don’t know about diversity But I imagine you’ll get a great mix of people there!
Original post by _Rusty_
The building ain’t the prettiest but it has a great community. It’s about a 5-10 min walk from town and right next to the maths and medicine buildings. I don’t know about diversity But I imagine you’ll get a great mix of people there!

Thank you for replying.
Reply 465
Original post by Helen2112
Hi again, have been reading through this thread and found it very informative so thank you!

I am wondering if anyone can help with a question - I am a Scottish student planning on applying to study English next year. I already have (more than) the required grades at Higher but am studying three Advanced Highers this year (I'm still 16 so didn't want to apply this year). If I do get an offer from St Andrews are they likely to make an offer based on the Higher grades I already have or is it possible they might make a conditional offer on Advanced Higher grades? Does that ever happen?

Also does anyone know how hard it is to get into English at St Andrews? I REALLY want to go. 🙂

If you get an offer it will be an unconditional one based on your Highers.

St Andrews is a very competitive uni. They will get many applicants who exceed the entry requirements. Your personal statement and reference will be very important. Don't let that put you off, if you are keen. Just make sure you have some safer options in your UCAS application.

You can look at freedom of information responses on admission stats. The most relevant one showing Scottish offers is a little dated but helpful. In 2018/19 the uni got over 1000 applications for English. There were 183 from Scotland and 77 people got offers. Also bear in mind that the number of applications to St Andrews has been increasing each year and also that approx half the Scottish places at St Andrews go to people with contextual flags. From what I've seen, the applicants with contextual flags also usually exceed entry requirements - often the standard ones, not just the minimum ones - but it means the number of places for Scottish students is split into two pots. So that number of offers is split across those two pots.
Original post by S1098
If you get an offer it will be an unconditional one based on your Highers.

St Andrews is a very competitive uni. They will get many applicants who exceed the entry requirements. Your personal statement and reference will be very important. Don't let that put you off, if you are keen. Just make sure you have some safer options in your UCAS application.

You can look at freedom of information responses on admission stats. The most relevant one showing Scottish offers is a little dated but helpful. In 2018/19 the uni got over 1000 applications for English. There were 183 from Scotland and 77 people got offers. Also bear in mind that the number of applications to St Andrews has been increasing each year and also that approx half the Scottish places at St Andrews go to people with contextual flags. From what I've seen, the applicants with contextual flags also usually exceed entry requirements - often the standard ones, not just the minimum ones - but it means the number of places for Scottish students is split into two pots. So that number of offers is split across those two pots.

Ok thank you 🙂

I have top grades but loads of people will have that so I need to try and write an amazing personal statement and just hope for the best.

Just for interest do you know how I can access the freedom of information stuff? I did look but not sure how to find it?

Also I go to a state school, does that work for me or against me?
(edited 8 months ago)
Ok thank you 🙂

I have top grades but loads of people will have that so I need to try and write an amazing personal statement and just hope for the best.

Just for interest do you know how I can access the freedom of information stuff? I did look but not sure how to find it?

Also I go to a state school, does that work for me or against me?

This is an excellent tool for making FOI requests. It also has a lot of the previous requests people have made for you to see.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com
Does anyone know where the biology lectures and labs are held? Are they in the science block?
Thank you for replying.
Original post by _Rusty_
You don’t need to buy one at all but if you’d like one a second hand one will save you quite a few pennies:smile:

Hi , I am a St Andrews graduate and have a size 47 red gown for sale at £70.

It could be collected from St Andrews if you’re interested or know anyone else who might like it. It was only worn for occasional events and graduation so it’s in good conditions. Best wishes Harriet
Does anyone know what the alevel entry offer for maths is typically like?
This is an excellent tool for making FOI requests. It also has a lot of the previous requests people have made for you to see.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com

That's really useful, thank you 😊
I can finally help answer questions!! I am on a leave of absence though so I’ll have some classes with the new 1st years
Original post by Anonymous #38
I can finally help answer questions!! I am on a leave of absence though so I’ll have some classes with the new 1st years

can you tell me anything about the difference between astrophysics and physics BSc, and if it is possible to move from one to the other? thanks
I've put in my accommodation application and requested catered standard and a single room. Any ideas how likely I am to get the single room? I don't really want to share a room with a stranger.
Original post by lynnfrancis
can you tell me anything about the difference between astrophysics and physics BSc, and if it is possible to move from one to the other? thanks

I am on a physics degree at St Andrews. Astronomy has the requirement that AS1x01 and AS2x01 modules be completed in years 1 and 2 respectively before you can enter Astro honours level. See https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/assets/university/schools/school-of-physics-and-astronomy/documents/current-students/level-1-and-2-handbook.pdf and https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/assets/university/schools/school-of-physics-and-astronomy/documents/current-students/advising-for-entrants.pdf . First and second year is very flexible in what modules you can take, and you can change your mind up to the 2nd semester of year 3.
I've put in my accommodation application and requested catered standard and a single room. Any ideas how likely I am to get the single room? I don't really want to share a room with a stranger.
You’re very likely to get a single room in your first year. It is less likely (though still a high chance) you’ll get catered (as most first years go for that), so be prepared to get a self-catered offer.

not likely any more because of the proliferation of new accomo the last few years. but honestly don't worry if you do get shared it's the best, as someone who was as against it as you are, shared accom means the old traditional halls (with the Americans) and all the things which go with that
Ok thanks both, fingers crossed, still feel would prefer single but will wait and see!
I want a to join a sport when I get to uni come sept. are there any clubs with bad reps i should avoid? i was thinking of doing boxing or lacrosse

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending