The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews - Ask A Current Student Thread [part 2]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A Rolling Stone
between 0 and 10 pounds a year. maybe 5 pound a year is average but plenty are free

All affiliated societies cost a minimum of £3 for the year.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Hi! Incoming postgraduate student here with a few questions.

1) I applied for accommodation in March, but I haven’t heard anything since. I’m also not able to log in to my application anymore to view the status. Do they email you to let you known when a decision has been made, or do you have to monitor the application? I really don’t want to miss an offer if I am made one because I can’t afford private accommodation, and it would be hard to find since I will be an international student.

2) I haven’t heard anything from the registry about a university username, email, etc, even though I received and accepted my offer months ago. Do you remember when you set this stuff up? I’m mostly paranoid if I have to have this set up in order to view my accommodation application for whatever reason.

Thanks in advance! I’ve tried to reach out to accommodation office for help but they haven’t given me any clear answers.
Original post by myriahsmith17
Hi! Incoming postgraduate student here with a few questions.

1) I applied for accommodation in March, but I haven’t heard anything since. I’m also not able to log in to my application anymore to view the status. Do they email you to let you known when a decision has been made, or do you have to monitor the application? I really don’t want to miss an offer if I am made one because I can’t afford private accommodation, and it would be hard to find since I will be an international student.

2) I haven’t heard anything from the registry about a university username, email, etc, even though I received and accepted my offer months ago. Do you remember when you set this stuff up? I’m mostly paranoid if I have to have this set up in order to view my accommodation application for whatever reason.

Thanks in advance! I’ve tried to reach out to accommodation office for help but they haven’t given me any clear answers.

Not a postgraduate student but just speaking from my experience

1. I got my offer for accommodation towards the end of July last year (and early August the year before that) and they did email me when a decision has been made.

2. I believe I got my entrant information with computer account information and such quite late last year - some time during the summer (around August the year before that) - you should be able to sign into the accommodation application with your id number assigned?
Hi! Thanks for replying. So originally I was able to sign in with just my id, but that doesn’t work anymore for some reason. It keeps taking me to the SSO afterwards, but since I was never contacted to make an account, it doesn’t work. So not sure what to do unfortunately
Original post by wolfmoon88
Not a postgraduate student but just speaking from my experience

1. I got my offer for accommodation towards the end of July last year (and early August the year before that) and they did email me when a decision has been made.

2. I believe I got my entrant information with computer account information and such quite late last year - some time during the summer (around August the year before that) - you should be able to sign into the accommodation application with your id number assigned?
Hi! Thanks for replying. So originally I was able to sign in with just my id, but that doesn’t work anymore for some reason. It keeps taking me to the SSO afterwards, but since I was never contacted to make an account, it doesn’t work. So not sure what to do unfortunately

At least for undergraduates they started sending out entrant emails around this time of year last year so would just wait for a bit longer for the entrant email (and perhaps email registry if the entrant email doesn't arrive in the next 2 weeks).
Sounds good. Thanks so much for your help!
Original post by wolfmoon88
At least for undergraduates they started sending out entrant emails around this time of year last year so would just wait for a bit longer for the entrant email (and perhaps email registry if the entrant email doesn't arrive in the next 2 weeks).
Sounds good. Thanks so much for your help!

No problem, good luck!
Another question because I am really getting concerned! So, I recently logged into my student accommodation account just to see... and I found out I had gotten an offer for accommodation. However, I was not emailed or contacted AT ALL to tell me this had happened. I was never contacted by registration to set up a student email account or anything. Has this ever happened to anyone? I am so confused and frustrated, but mostly concerned that I am left off some list. I have been emailing the registry email but have not heard back from them
I really wouldn't worry, you have to remember that the staff there are probably extremely busy at this time of year and September is still a long way off.

The system says you will be successful, so you will get somewhere, but they may not have yet got around to deciding which actual accommodation block/room to offer you. The staff are probably waiting for the the full picture (special needs, requests etc) before they can give you their actual offer.

I would think the time to start worrying would be July or August.
Another question because I am really getting concerned! So, I recently logged into my student accommodation account just to see... and I found out I had gotten an offer for accommodation. However, I was not emailed or contacted AT ALL to tell me this had happened. I was never contacted by registration to set up a student email account or anything. Has this ever happened to anyone? I am so confused and frustrated, but mostly concerned that I am left off some list. I have been emailing the registry email but have not heard back from them
That’s true. Thanks! I’m a chronic worrier so that’s probably my problem haha
Original post by TheHof
I really wouldn't worry, you have to remember that the staff there are probably extremely busy at this time of year and September is still a long way off.

The system says you will be successful, so you will get somewhere, but they may not have yet got around to deciding which actual accommodation block/room to offer you. The staff are probably waiting for the the full picture (special needs, requests etc) before they can give you their actual offer.

I would think the time to start worrying would be July or August.
Reply 50
I’ll be going to St. Andrews in September but I’m a bit worried about how expensive everything is...for example, I recently read that the red academic gowns cost over £100, which is a lot more than I can afford. Do first years need to buy these, or is it quite common for people not to bother? I really want to fit in and get involved with all the traditions, but I’m just worried I won’t be able to afford it...
Original post by owl_11
I’ll be going to St. Andrews in September but I’m a bit worried about how expensive everything is...for example, I recently read that the red academic gowns cost over £100, which is a lot more than I can afford. Do first years need to buy these, or is it quite common for people not to bother? I really want to fit in and get involved with all the traditions, but I’m just worried I won’t be able to afford it...

you can get a gown second hand for much cheaper than that. but honestly, and this is gonna sound harsh but if you can afford to live in st andrews you can afford the £160 for a gown or whatever it costs. the uni is definitely more expensive than living in Newcastle, but it's cheaper than London sooo...
Original post by owl_11

I got my gown for £40 off ebay (it's recommended that if you choose to buy a gown, you buy it second-hand because like you said, the new ones are so expensive) :smile: But to be honest you can really get by without having one (people only wear it on special occasions and even so you'll always see some people not wearing one at all) so don't worry about that! In terms of living costs, as long as you don't go around shopping all the time, you really don't have to spend much money at all - with St Andrews being a little town there aren't really that many 'cheap' stores, but I never find myself needing to buy anything so it doesn't really matter to me. If I do need to buy something, I usually either wait until I go back home in between semesters and buy something then, or I buy it off amazon, or I wait until I make a trip to Dundee where there are a lot more affordable high street stores. I get you though, I had this worry before I started as well but it hasn't been too much of a problem for me :nah:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 53
Hi Myriahsmith17,
After reading what you have written, I would like to check my accommodation application, but St Andrews website is so complex that I was unable to find the specific page to log in. Could you (or someone else) send me the link to do so please, it would be very nice :biggrin:.
SZ
Reply 54
Yep, much better to buy second-hand then you can sell it for the same price when you graduate!

I'd guess around 80% of people buy one, all of whom likely wear it a maximum of once per semester.
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
I got my gown for £40 off ebay (it's recommended that if you choose to buy a gown, you buy it second-hand because like you said, the new ones are so expensive) :smile: But to be honest you can really get by without having one (people only wear it on special occasions and even so you'll always see some people not wearing one at all) so don't worry about that! In terms of living costs, as long as you don't go around shopping all the time, you really don't have to spend much money at all - with St Andrews being a little town there aren't really that many 'cheap' stores, but I never find myself needing to buy anything so it doesn't really matter to me. If I do need to buy something, I usually either wait until I go back home in between semesters and buy something then, or I buy it off amazon, or I wait until I make a trip to Dundee where there are a lot more affordable high street stores. I get you though, I had this worry before I started as well but it hasn't been too much of a problem for me :nah:
I'm applying for Med, and I'm really worried that I'm going to get A*AB A*A*B for my AAA offer, I don't suppose anyone knows the likelihood of being accepted with those grades? Maybe if anyone knows someone who was in a similar situation and did/didn't get in anyway?
A*AB isn't normally accepted as an alternative to AAA. But it might be ok if the A* is in Chem and the B isn't in Biology
Original post by pineapplejam#
I'm applying for Med, and I'm really worried that I'm going to get A*AB A*A*B for my AAA offer, I don't suppose anyone knows the likelihood of being accepted with those grades? Maybe if anyone knows someone who was in a similar situation and did/didn't get in anyway?
A*AB isn't normally accepted as an alternative to AAA. But it might be ok if the A* is in Chem and the B isn't in Biology

That's my problem: The B would be in Chemistry and the A*s in Biology, Computer science (and my EPQ but I don't think SA really care about that). It's starting to look like it's going to be either A*A*B(A*) or A*A*A(A*) and the fact that one of those is 1 grade away from perfect and the other doesn't get me into any of my uni choices just makes me want to actually cry.
Original post by pineapplejam#
That's my problem: The B would be in Chemistry and the A*s in Biology, Computer science (and my EPQ but I don't think SA really care about that). It's starting to look like it's going to be either A*A*B(A*) or A*A*A(A*) and the fact that one of those is 1 grade away from perfect and the other doesn't get me into any of my uni choices just makes me want to actually cry.

This is going to sound really harsh but a medicine degree is on a whole different level to A levels... B Chem students are a lot more likely to struggle I've personally found...
To get A*A*B at a level is crazy, someone who can manage that (probably having to study several hours a day for the last two years on top of college) can probably manage a medicine degree, it is just a degree after all even though the student room seems to worship medicine so much. Many chemistry degrees let in students with B in chemistry and the level of chemistry in that degree is going to probably be much harder, there is so much more to being a doctor than getting say 2 marks more to get an A rather than a B in an a level. TSR really needs to get a grip with the triple A* obsession aha :smile:
This is going to sound really harsh but a medicine degree is on a whole different level to A levels... B Chem students are a lot more likely to struggle I've personally found...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending