The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews - Ask A Current Student Thread [part 2]

Scroll to see replies

St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
What date do students move in in September?
Reply 62
Hi, current student here.

Earliest date to move in to halls is the Saturday 7th of September 2019! Freshers week begins on the 9th of September.
Original post by Bubbergee
What date do students move in in September?
When do the accommodation allocations come out?
Reply 64
Original post by Bubbergee
When do the accommodation allocations come out?

Hi there, current student here.

You should start receive offers of accommodation starting in Mid-July. Do not worry if you do not receive them until late July or start of August, they take time processing.
Reply 65
Looking through the course requirements and modules, I see that my course requires a total of 120 credits during the year. Is this requirement feasible? Will taking 130 or even 140 credits( just in case I have a lifeline if I fail one class) be too stressful?
Original post by ta1130
Looking through the course requirements and modules, I see that my course requires a total of 120 credits during the year. Is this requirement feasible? Will taking 130 or even 140 credits( just in case I have a lifeline if I fail one class) be too stressful?

I'm pretty sure that 120 credits is standard for most St Andrews courses so if you're talking about the feasibility of it, you're talking about how well you'd be able to cope with doing a degree :biggrin: You can get away with 130 credits a year, especially if you take modules outside of your department which may be an extra 5 credits each or something (that's what I did this year, but I took them more because I wanted to learn the content of those modules, rather than taking them for extra credits), but I think they'll heavily discourage anything above that because of the workload. I personally think you'd do much better focusing your time on less modules, rather than more anyway :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 67
Everyone is in the same position, so of course it is feasible. Taking more than five extra credits per semester is rare, but not unheard of.

It's worth noting that St Andrews takes all of your modules into account when calculating a final grade, i.e. a module with a poor result isn't simply ignored if an extra module is taken.

Something else to consider is that the workload can vary significantly between modules worth the same number of credits. This is partly due to individual factors, e.g. preferring exams to coursework, but can make 60 credits in one semester feel much harder than 60 credits in another.

Original post by ta1130
how easy is it to find a part time job whilst at the uni? do some people have jobs at dundee? (just wondering really as st andrews is really small so i can imagine jobs go quickly)
answering this question is always like how long is a piece of string :smile: but if you've visited you will know there are loadsssss of shops and eateries in st andrews and i know countless people who work part time during uni, much as i don't understand how people manage to stay on top of everything with uni work and social life too!
Original post by entertainmyfaith
how easy is it to find a part time job whilst at the uni? do some people have jobs at dundee? (just wondering really as st andrews is really small so i can imagine jobs go quickly)
Original post by A Rolling Stone
answering this question is always like how long is a piece of string :smile: but if you've visited you will know there are loadsssss of shops and eateries in st andrews and i know countless people who work part time during uni, much as i don't understand how people manage to stay on top of everything with uni work and social life too!

okay thank you! that reassures me a little.
Reply 71
i was just wondering if anyone had missed their offer and still gotten in. my conditional asked for 38 points but i got 37 and i am worried that i won’t be let in. I am an international student would they be more lenient?
Reply 72
If you apply to enough places, you are very likely to get a job. Most restaurants and shops employ a few students, and nearly all of the student union's bar, cafe, and cleaning staff are students.

I don't know of any students working in Dundee (unless they also live there).
Original post by ombtom
If you apply to enough places, you are very likely to get a job. Most restaurants and shops employ a few students, and nearly all of the student union's bar, cafe, and cleaning staff are students.

I don't know of any students working in Dundee (unless they also live there).

thank you!! i read somewhere else that it's really hard to get jobs at SA because students apply for them so quickly so was a bit worried if i wasn't able to get one as i know st andrews isn't the cheapest area to live in:redface:
if you have some experience now on your CV you can storm in there well qualified to get a student job. otherwise it'll be a case of the early bird gets the worm i suppose
thank you!! i read somewhere else that it's really hard to get jobs at SA because students apply for them so quickly so was a bit worried if i wasn't able to get one as i know st andrews isn't the cheapest area to live in:redface:

once you have your university login you can look at the job shop https://careerconnect.st-andrews.ac.uk/leap/jobs.html where they post part-time opportunities (not every job advertises here, but it'll give you a headstart!)
Original post by la_banane_verte
once you have your university login you can look at the job shop https://careerconnect.st-andrews.ac.uk/leap/jobs.html where they post part-time opportunities (not every job advertises here, but it'll give you a headstart!)

thank you :biggrin:
Anyone hear on accommodation yet?
Heya I was wondering if it can really be a hinder to my attending the university if i haven't had *both* doses of the MMR vaccine as it says in one of the entrant emails that i should? Long story short i grew up in an extremely anti-vax household and couldn't get the first dose until literally this month - in the UK apparently you only need one month between the two doses but in my country they require at least a two year gap. When they say "should" have both doses before arriving at the university, is it more like a strong recommendation, or something absolutely mandatory?
Original post by jasycath
Heya I was wondering if it can really be a hinder to my attending the university if i haven't had *both* doses of the MMR vaccine as it says in one of the entrant emails that i should? Long story short i grew up in an extremely anti-vax household and couldn't get the first dose until literally this month - in the UK apparently you only need one month between the two doses but in my country they require at least a two year gap. When they say "should" have both doses before arriving at the university, is it more like a strong recommendation, or something absolutely mandatory?

they're not going to take a sample of your blood to see if you have the antibodies in your bloodstream, nor do i ever recall being questioned on it.

however, may i introduce you to a phenomenon called "Freshers' flu" whereby virtually every student comes down with some cold/flu in their first few weeks of uni after mingling with thousands of people from all over the world in the manic Fresher's week.

Bearing Freshers' flu in mind, i would strongly urge you not to take any chances. and to also make sure you have the meningitis vaccines (including the newish MenY one).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending