The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Blamps
what order of reaction is it between Magnesium and HCL?

Why do you need to know? I would have thought you needed to work it out given experimental data etc.

Ben
Blamps
what order of reaction is it between Magnesium and HCL?

2nd order i would guess. Its definately not zero order thats for sure.
And as Mg2+ requires 2HCl molecules, then doubling the amount of HCl (with infinite amount of Mg present) will increase the reaction 4 times.
I think (it has been some years...
J
Reply 3
foolfarian
2nd order i would guess. Its definately not zero order thats for sure.
And as Mg2+ requires 2HCl molecules, then doubling the amount of HCl (with infinite amount of Mg present) will increase the reaction 4 times.
I think (it has been some years...
J

That's not the way it works - you can't deduce it from the balanced equation. It could be second order, but it probably isn't.

Ben
Reply 4
Ben.S.
That's not the way it works - you can't deduce it from the balanced equation. It could be second order, but it probably isn't.

Ben

I thought maybe it is 1 order but now I am just more confused lol!
Ok, have you carried out the experiment out yet? And what are your vairables? I used concentration/rate for mine. Once you have your results, draw them onto a graph and with the shape of the line/curve, you can tell what order each reactant is. Hope this helps.
Reply 6
its probably first order:

Mg + HCl -> MgCl+ + H- (slow step)

MgCl+ + HCl -> MgCl2 + H+ (quick)

H+ + H- -> H2 (quick)

== order 1

(i might be wrong. so im probably no help)
Reply 7
It is first order with respect to HCl and zero order with respect to magnesium, so the overall order of reaction is first.

Ben
Reply 8
Ben.S.
It is first order with respect to HCl and zero order with respect to magnesium, so the overall order of reaction is first.

Ben

Is that a definite answer? Sorry if I am being a pain it's just I am getting a bit worked up about this coursework even though it should be easy but, I am crap at chemistry (but by some miracle got a A at A/S level)
Reply 9
Ben.S.

Ben

Yep, you are right, just had chem and was working c**p like this out....
Reply 10
I'm working on a similar coursework due in tomorrow at latest.

The peice is a study of how basicity affects the rate of a reaction, basicity being the number of hydrogen ions that will dissasociate from one molecule of the acid.

In this case, HCl monobasic
H2SO4 dibasic

My data is concentration of H+ ions in solution over time.(this was calculated using amount of H2 gas evolved.

My graphs are so close to zero order, ie no curve it's a joke. Is there any way of calculating partial orders like 1.5 order or 0.9 order.

Could someone also tell me the difference between initial rate and overall rate? Including a method of calculating it would be soooooo helpful.

Thanks in advance

Latest

Trending

Trending