The Student Room Group

Oxford Parents Association

Scroll to see replies

You lived in Southampton? So does he. His favourite hobby is watching the ships. He says it has a soothing effect. In fact if he was on this thread now, he would be trying to sell you a cruise.
Original post by 10271661
I spent my formative years watching cruise ships going in and out of Southampton. Have a lovely Birthday treat.
I'm not even old enough to be an Oxford student, let alone Oxford parent!😂
Thank you so much :smile: Best of luck to your son with his medicine exams!!
Original post by Oxford Mum
You're leaning towards German? I reckon I can help you with that. Keep looking at my blog, especially on around 16th May. Then you'll see what (i hope) will happen. Some way or other, I will get some help to you.
Well Obolinda, you are welcome to drop by any time. :hat2:
You never know, you may one day be both! I wonder if there is an Oxford degree for niceness??
Original post by Obolinda
I'm not even old enough to be an Oxford student, let alone Oxford parent!😂
Well Obolinda, you are welcome to drop by any time. :hat2:
You never know, you may one day be both! I wonder if there is an Oxford degree for niceness??

:hugs:
Dont think I'm good enough for Oxford nor do I think I want/will have children tho.😂
Neither did I at that age, but nobody should force you to do anything you don't want to do. Neither of my sons want children (atm)
:hugs:
Dont think I'm good enough for Oxford nor do I think I want/will have children tho.😂
Neither did I at that age,

True, to be fair.
You're very nice
Did you apply? What happened? I went to a school where everyone in my class got into Oxford except for me. At the time I was miffed, but now I realise I was just not cut out for it.
I call my kids my entertainments managers because they make me laugh so much. I'm much prouder of them because they are kind and popular than because they got to Oxford.
True, to be fair.
You're very nice
Imperial looks lovely! Also medicine can be very addictive. All my ex husband's friends were doctors nurses, and all they ever wanted to talk about was medicine. They also went to all the crappiest pubs and restaurants, so nobody else went and nobody else ever found out their favourite venues. In Manchester, it was a restaurant called Charlie Brown's. The vindaloo was so bad, if you could eat it you got a t-shirt. Then all that changed when the health inspectors came to call and found an alsatian dog in the freezer, all ready to be put in their special curry... :s-smilie:
But of course. They just went and found another crappy restaurant instead.
They weren't above a little mischief, either. Once we had a party at the hospital. Afterwards people went back to the cars and found they had been turned upside down by the students. It made the pages of the local paper.
Original post by TensorTympani
True the parents have just as much to share as their children because they would have overseen the entire process.

Students should be doing their own applications - it's not a good idea for parents to be involved. They should just be on the sidelines supporting.
If my experience is anything to go by, it is financial support, and being a general taxi service.
Original post by Muttley79
Students should be doing their own applications - it's not a good idea for parents to be involved. They should just be on the sidelines supporting.
If my experience is anything to go by, it is financial support, and being a general taxi service.

Not in mine ..

I think it is a good idea for parents to be involved, just as long as they respect the fact that their children need to make their own decisions, which I'm sure is the case for the vast majority of parents. My children didn't go to Oxford but I did my best to help them with their uni visits and applications. As @Oxford Mum says, a lot of my support took the form of being a taxi service for Open Days etc, but I think my kids also liked having a second opinion on certain things, such as which accomodation looked the best or how they could improve their personal statements.
Original post by harrysbar
just as long as they respect the fact that their children need to make their own decisions, , which I'm sure is the case for the vast majority of parents.

Unfortunately not - I'm a parent and a teacher so I've seen both sides. You don't have to be on TSR long to see how many parents are making decisions for their children.
Unfortunately not - I'm a parent and a teacher so I've seen both sides. You don't have to be on TSR long to see how many parents are making decisions for their children.

From a student's side if a parent has been there and done it I think it's good to hear their thoughts on the matter. I was the first child in my family to go into university level education, so my parents were not able to help. I agree it's not good for a parent to make the decisions for their children but its certainly good to get a fresh insight from a different person and then weigh up your options from there.

I was talking about the majority of parents who support their children not the minority who take it to the extreme of making decisions for them.
Original post by harrysbar
I was talking about the majority of parents who support their children not the minority who take it to the extreme of making decisions for them.

A majority is technically 51% so yes, that may be about right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending