The Student Room Group

Oxford Parents Association

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Themysticalegg
From a student's side if a parent has been there and done it I think it's good to hear their thoughts on the matter. I was the first child in my family to go into university level education, so my parents were not able to help. I agree it's not good for a parent to make the decisions for their children but its certainly good to get a fresh insight from a different person and then weigh up your options from there.

I certainly wish my own parents had taken more of an interest in my university applications. My mum didn't know anything much about it and my dad was too busy with his career so basically I just muddled through the whole process alone. And subsequently made some daft mistakes that people with more involved parents would probably not have made.
Original post by Muttley79
A majority is technically 51% so yes, that may be about right.

You think that about 49% of parents tell their children which unis they're allowed to attend? I don't personally think it's anywhere near that high.
Original post by harrysbar
I certainly wish my own parents had taken more of an interest in my university applications. My mum didn't know anything much about it and my dad was too busy with his career so basically I just muddled through the whole process alone. And subsequently made some daft mistakes that people with more involved parents would probably not have made.

At least you can show these daft mistakes to your kids, I also made a lot of those to be honest. However, it's worked out for both of us! I don't regret the path I've ended up having because the experiences led me to where I am and ultimately I learnt a lot.
(edited 4 years ago)
You think that about 49% of parents tell their children which unis they're allowed to attend? I don't personally think it's anywhere near that high.

We are straying off topic so I won't say much. I was making the point about what 'majority' means - I do think there is a lot of uninformed pressure to aim for RG [when some degrees are better elsewhere] or certain degrees [law, medicine, STEM]. I've dealt with a number of difficult situations over the years in all the three schools I've taught in.
At least you can past off these daft mistakes to your kids, I also made a lot of those to be honest. However, it's worked out for both of us! I don't regret the path I've ended up having because the experiences led me to where I am and ultimately I learnt a lot.

Yes we got through it mystical egg, and now we're trying to help other people on TSR to be a bit more informed than we were :smile: And so is our lovely @Oxford Mum, to bring the thread back on topic.
I was also not given any help with my uni application, as my parents left school when they were 16. I could have done with a careers teacher at my school but there was none, so I’m afraid I looked at the times league tables and went for Manchester. Big mistake. I should have applied to Aston with it’s pure languages degree. Ironically I would have hated Oxford with it’s very literature heavy degree. However my elder son is brilliant at literature, even gained 100 percent on an as level English lit paper , so that was why he fell in love with the Oxford course. The best guide to choosing a uni is: the course is king. Nothing, but nothing else matters
Yes we got through it mystical egg, and now we're trying to help other people on TSR to be a bit more informed than we were :smile: And so is our lovely @Oxford Mum, to bring the thread back on topic.

Yes indeed - in fact we might make parents more aware that Oxford is not the place for some degrees or some people. Some of the colleges are not 'pretty' either and that parking around them is a nightmare. For example you can't drive into Balliol without permission to drive in the bus lane.
Yes indeed - in fact we might make parents more aware that Oxford is not the place for some degrees or some people. Some of the colleges are not 'pretty' either and that parking around them is a nightmare. For example you can't drive into Balliol without permission to drive in the bus lane.

I expect we can all agree that Oxford is not the right place for some degrees or people - everyone will have different priortities and requirements :smile:
I expect we can all agree that Oxford is not the right place for some degrees or people - everyone will have different priortities and requirements :smile:

Indeed - a 2ii from Oxford is not as valuable as a 2i from almost any other university these days. Employers are looking for good degrees rather than specific universities.
Indeed - a 2ii from Oxford is not as valuable as a 2i from almost any other university these days. Employers are looking for good degrees rather than specific universities.

Really? 'not as valuable?' Yes other experiences beyond university are also important but surely that statement is a bit of a stretch? Edit: Misread I thought you were comparing 2,1 Oxford to 2,1 anywhere else I stand corrected.
(edited 4 years ago)
Really? 'not as valuable?' Yes other experiences beyond university are also important but surely that statement is a bit of a stretch?

No - many employers and graduate schemes look for a 2i - the university is irrelevant.

I wouldn't know about the specifics of how different employers would view this scenario... but it's obviously better to aim for a 2.1 or 1st whichever uni you go to
No - many employers and graduate schemes look for a 2i - the university is irrelevant.

Yeah I misread your post sorry and I could vouch for that statement for general graduate schemes. I'd say 10% of the jobs I applied for allowed a 2,2. This being said there are direct entry jobs than graduate schemes where your work experience is more important than your degree classification.
Original post by Oxford Mum
I was also not given any help with my uni application, as my parents left school when they were 16. I could have done with a careers teacher at my school but there was none, so I’m afraid I looked at the times league tables and went for Manchester. Big mistake. I should have applied to Aston with it’s pure languages degree. Ironically I would have hated Oxford with it’s very literature heavy degree. However my elder son is brilliant at literature, even gained 100 percent on an as level English lit paper , so that was why he fell in love with the Oxford course. The best guide to choosing a uni is: the course is king. Nothing, but nothing else matters

Yeah I chose my university with some basis on university league tables with serious pressure from my teachers to choose somewhere better. Then I looked on the methodology in which they are placed and I was like oh.... :biggrin: Course content is definitely one of the most important things, no point in hating three years of your life for 'prestige' :tongue:.
Yeah I misread your post sorry and I could vouch for that statement for general graduate schemes. I'd say 10% of the jobs I applied for allowed a 2,2. This being said there are direct entry jobs than graduate schemes where your work experience is more important than your degree classification.

Indeed - that's where the year in industry degrees win over Oxbridge.

not sure if it is 49% but I can definitely confirm that my parents are trying to get me to study something else at different universities that I want
That being said summer internships are a viable alternative to year in industry sandwich placements and are equally useful. At the end of the day graduate assessment centres are mainly about how good you are at explaining your experiences. The extra keen student would have work experience in the field before university but those come few and far between.

I still think a 2,1 degree from Oxford is still quite powerful compared to your other universities especially for sectors where they will only select students from a few universities such as McKinsey, Bain etc. For areas less competitive than top 3 consulting and IB. Where you're going for your general graduate schemes advertised on gradcracker, gradjobs, etc. I can understand your argument. Predominantly most of people I met at assessment centres (75% maybe?) came from RG universities. This may of been sheer chance though.
Indeed - that's where the year in industry degrees win over Oxbridge.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by mpaprika
not sure if it is 49% but I can definitely confirm that my parents are trying to get me to study something else at different universities that I want

I know that some parents do this, and I feel sorry for you.

But I don't think the majority of parents do this, or a figure close to half. I think it's much more usual in the UK for young people to make their own decisions about what they want to study and where they want to go. The parents will probably have some influence, but most of us respect the fact that our children should make their own decisions by the age of uni.
yeah I think you're right about the parents in the UK part because we come from a different country :laugh:

But I don't think the majority of parents do this, or a figure close to half. I think it's much more usual in the UK for young people to make their own decisions about what they want to study and where they want to go. The parents will probably have some influence, but most of us respect the fact that our children should make their own decisions by the age of uni.

I teach in the UK and can tell you that it's FAR more common than you think sadly ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending