The Student Room Group
I really liked the course. I done standard grade, i've sat higher this year and I hope to do advanced higher next year.

I suppose you need to have a slight interest in business to like it, I know alot of people that find it so boring, because they take it as a "easy" subject - and just hate it.

I think its fairly easy, its alot of common sense and reading notes. There is alot of writing with not much activities throughout the year - so if you are prepared to read notes and answer questions then its really good.

It involves all the main functions of a business (Finance, Human Resource Management, Operations and Marketing) in one (some may argue two) unit(s). There is also a decision making and ICT unit. And lastly a internal organisations (structures, business relationships etc). The very first unit is a general business unit, about businesses in todays society.

Basically, if you actually are interested in the subject of business then i'd take it. If you want an easy subject, you may be in for a boring year. :smile:

If you go onto Higher Still Notes, they have some business management course notes that you could take a look at.
If you have any more questions, i'd be happy to try and answer them :smile:

Oh, and if you've done Admin (i'm not sure if you have), i would assume you would find the ICT unit quite easy, along with alot of the computer legislation involved (Data protection act possibly, if thats in admin?)
Reply 2
scottish_student
I really liked the course. I done standard grade, i've sat higher this year and I hope to do advanced higher next year.

I suppose you need to have a slight interest in business to like it, I know alot of people that find it so boring, because they take it as a "easy" subject - and just hate it.

I think its fairly easy, its alot of common sense and reading notes. There is alot of writing with not much activities throughout the year - so if you are prepared to read notes and answer questions then its really good.

It involves all the main functions of a business (Finance, Human Resource Management, Operations and Marketing) in one (some may argue two) unit(s). There is also a decision making and ICT unit. And lastly a internal organisations (structures, business relationships etc). The very first unit is a general business unit, about businesses in todays society.

Basically, if you actually are interested in the subject of business then i'd take it. If you want an easy subject, you may be in for a boring year. :smile:

If you go onto Higher Still Notes, they have some business management course notes that you could take a look at.
If you have any more questions, i'd be happy to try and answer them :smile:

Oh, and if you've done Admin (i'm not sure if you have), i would assume you would find the ICT unit quite easy, along with alot of the computer legislation involved (Data protection act possibly, if thats in admin?)

Completely agree. Only take it if you've got some interest in business, otherwise you'll be bored to tears. It does involve a LOT of note taking and term-learning. I did the standard grade and just sat the Higher 2 weeks ago. The Higher wasn't too difficult - it basically requires a decent knowledge of the course and is mostly common sense! I'm definetely gonna take it as an Adv.Higher next year!
Reply 3
thanks sounds good, i do have a fairly good interest in business so looking forward to it:smile:
Reply 4
I'm crashing it too (as an easy higher), i'll see how it goes, if I end up hating it, i'll drop it (maybe for AH physics)
Reply 5
I have done Int2 this year and I think I could have done Higher it is more or less the same, wish I had and int2 is much easier than credit standard grade but I am doing Higher next year:biggrin:. You will have no problem crashing Higher I don't think.
Reply 6
Is higher Admin easy? I got a 1 at Standard Grade but didn't take it in 5th year, now considering doing it next year. What does everyone think of it?
Reply 7
jonbhoy91
Is higher Admin easy? I got a 1 at Standard Grade but didn't take it in 5th year, now considering doing it next year. What does everyone think of it?

I haven't done it but if you got a 1 it should be okay for you.
Reply 8
jonbhoy91

I got a 1 at standard grade too and I'm doing high this year (exam tomorrow eeek). Some of the theory side is kinda the same as standard grade apart from you have to write much longer answers than std. grade. Theory isn't too bad just sometimes it's your common sense you have to use along with some knowledge like in SG.

The practical side isn't too bad, some areas can be pretty tough but a lot of people do well in that side and can push their grades up quite a bit with the practical.

You'll do fine. Just about everyone in my class - including people crashing it - are passing it. There's only 2 people who aren't but that is because they are presuming its a walk in the park and just not trying at all.
Reply 9
I just had a 40 min period and aready i'm thinking of swapping it, our teacher seems strict, she actually used the words 'you will not have fun' and said if you're good at english, that'll reflect on how well you do for bus man, let me make this clear, I suck at english, that's the reason why I didn't take it in 5th year, if I couldn't get an A at higher english then I thought I shouldn't bother with it.

As another question, is it too much work (i.e homework/revision), as I kinda took this as an easy subject and do not want to waste too much free time learning the course when I could be studying for AH chemistry and biology.
yosrush
I just had a 40 min period and aready i'm thinking of swapping it, our teacher seems strict, she actually used the words 'you will not have fun' and said if you're good at english, that'll reflect on how well you do for bus man, let me make this clear, I suck at english, that's the reason why I didn't take it in 5th year, if I couldn't get an A at higher english then I thought I shouldn't bother with it.

As another question, is it too much work (i.e homework/revision), as I kinda took this as an easy subject and do not want to waste too much free time learning the course when I could be studying for AH chemistry and biology.

Your teacher is talking *****!!!!
You don't need to be good at english at all.
As long as you know the key terms from the topics and have a decent understanding of each topic, you'll do fine. Also, at times I found Higher Business Management a bit of a drag - but isn't that the same with every subject? On the whole, I'd say it's very enjoyable and a good higher to have.
Just give it a chance :smile:
I started out very like you in standard grade and higher, but it turned out to be my favourite subject.

you do notttttt at all need to be good at english. All you need to be able to do is read, and write a sentence with, as darren1991 said, the key terms.

I'd give it a few more weeks, atleast, what you have left of your school term before you go off for summer holidays.
Reply 12
Your teachers talking rubbish.
Im abosultely rubbish at English...yet im quite good with Business Management.
Ive crashed Higher Administration this year and its not that difficult...just alot of reading and making sure you use the correct terminlogy .. you'll be fine :smile:
i should really be studying for it though....exam is tomorrow :rolleyes:
Reply 13
Thanks for the feedback, i'll keep going for a few weeks then, I might even like it :wink:
Reply 14
Good at English? I may have failed Business Management, so I may be a bad example, but I used bullet points throughout the exam.

The teacher is just try to scare you into working.
Reply 15
First day of higher bus man today :smile: as we started back school.

Our teacher said it isn't too bad, but it goes into things in a lot more depth :/
Reply 16
Cw.x
First day of higher bus man today :smile: as we started back school.

Our teacher said it isn't too bad, but it goes into things in a lot more depth :/

For Int2 we have the same textbook as higher and to be honest there are only a few more terms etc you have to learn. I doubt it will be too hard.
Reply 17
I never took it at int 2

I did standard grade in fourth year and got a 1 so I should hopefulyl be ok.

Latest

Trending

Trending