The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
steve2006
ive done it by splitting it into Social, Political and Economic Rights. Analysing each of these rights throughout the period. Works well and i see that Asians improved in all aspects whilst, Hispanics Social and Economic rights slightly worse off due to the mass influx in illegal immigration.

I absolutely love labour rights. Its really interesting and now i finally know what a flippin wobbly is. :smile: If natives comes up, im screwed. Ive done absolutely nothing for them and their development of civil rights is to be honest boring :wink:

They have asked 1890s in Jan 07 and 1920s in June 05. Its either gonna be 1920s or the other turning points which were 1930s and WW2. Also thanks so much mate for ur help about splitting into themes rather than invents. Its works soooooo well and i really understand it better

Can you explain what closed shops are, i cant seem tog et my head round this. and for Trade unions do you think that after the new deal period it slowly weent down for them ad then stabalised untill truman who kinda f'd them up.
closed shops are basically where one occupation is dominated by one trade union and all the workers in that occupation are required to belong to that trade union. I.e Teachers having to belong to the NUT (national union of teachers).

I think the New Deal period was the peak for TU and it went downhill from there. Truman's Taft Hartley buggered em up, and Johnson and Kennedy did help a little with minimum wage legislation, equal pay legislation etc. Reagan put the final nail in the coffins for unions by breaking up the air traffic controllers strike. You can see that there was no clear turning point as it all ultimately depended on whether the Federal Goverment sided with the workers as they did in the 1930s and early 1940s to uphold their rights or side with Big Business as they did in other parts to restrict their rights.
Reply 42
The New Deal significantly improved labour rights for workers considering the conditions before (e.g laissez fair capitalism, division of unions, partiality of the law) but there was still problems by 1980, despite the improvements made by Kennedy and Johnson (such as a minimum wage and affirmative action)
Dom1989
The New Deal significantly improved labour rights for workers considering the conditions before (e.g laissez fair capitalism, division of unions, partiality of the law) but there was still problems by 1980, despite the improvements made by Kennedy and Johnson (such as a minimum wage and affirmative action)

Wasnt affirmative action was of major significance for civil rights not labour rights.

Also about the hinderence of Big Business, could u say they influcenced the Fed Goverment as we can see that shares in the companies were given to members of senate in order to stop investigations. the factor of big business is very hard to explain.
Am I correct in saying that the following two questions, while on TU's should be approached differently:

To what extent was the 1920s the major Turning Point in the development of labour and trade union rights 1865-1980

and,

To what extent did the Federal Government hinder the development of trade Union rights during the period 1865-1980

I am Presuming that in the first, you would essentially have paragraphs comparing the 1920s as a turning point to other possible turning points (New Deal, late 19th Century, reunion of AFL-CIO)

Then in the second, you would structure it thematically, in other words, first explain how the Federal Govt did hinder, then paragraphs on the Disunity of the Movement, and another on Employer attitudes. So, does the second require you to address other factors, thematically, whilst the first is essentially a comparison of turning points?
Thanks in advance.
hey there

Yep you are correct. Ive done both essays and they are structured differently.

The 1920s one concerns different time periods while the Fed Gov one concerns people or things.

So the structure for 1920s would be:
Intro
Ways in which it was 1920s
Ways in which it wasnt 1920s
Ways in which it was before 1920s
Ways in which it wasnt before 1920s
Ways in which it was after 1920s
Ways in which it wasnt after 1920s
Conclusion

For the Fed Gov
Intro
Ways in which Fed Gov hindered
Ways in which they helped
Ways in which internal divisions hindered (cant think of Critique other than they were less significant in 1955 when the AFL and CIO joined)
Ways in which Big Business hindered (cant think of critique cos they were very successful in hindering)
Conclusion

As the Fed Gov one requires you to analyse that factor throughout the period you structure it like this. For example fed gov hindered trade unions up till 1930s where they started to upheld their rights but by 1947 they hindered again.

Jesus Christ only 1 day left.
Cheers lad, good help that.
I'm not sure how fair it is to attribute the Taft-Hartley act (an undeniable disaster for TU's, esp after the New Deal) to Truman - it was passed over his attempt to veto it after all. And the 1943 Smith-Connally act didn't really help much either - again, passed over FDR's veto.
Shadow of a Dream
I'm not sure how fair it is to attribute the Taft-Hartley act (an undeniable disaster for TU's, esp after the New Deal) to Truman - it was passed over his attempt to veto it after all. And the 1943 Smith-Connally act didn't really help much either - again, passed over FDR's veto.

Indeed, not Trumans fault, but definately a case of Federal Government restricting labour rights as they had done before the New Deal and the Wagner Act. Would be a good point to bring up in the essay I think.
shimmyjimmy
Indeed, not Trumans fault, but definately a case of Federal Government restricting labour rights as they had done before the New Deal and the Wagner Act. Would be a good point to bring up in the essay I think.

Yep :smile: It's almost a sign of a more pro-TU/LR attitude coming from the Executive, but being resisted by continued generally anti-TU attitudes in the Legislature etc. A trend which we almost see continuing into the 60's, as JFK tries to pass a new minimum wage bill, but is prevented by Congress. By the end of the period, however, the attitudes of both the Executive and legislature seem to be more positive and willing to bring about change, as we see in Carter and Congress' raise of the minimum wage.

It's also interesting to note that FDR himself wasn't especially active in bringing about the federal TU endorsement of the New Deal - arguably further evidence of this continuation of past attitudes on the part some of Federal gov't, even in spite of a real change in their general attitudes/actions.
Little question vis-a-vis the timeline included with the question pack - why does it end with Roe vs. Wade? Seems kind of random since it wasn't an 'ethnic' civil right, and during my course we learnt nothing about womens' rights?
Reply 51
i was pretty sure my exam is the ocr one everyone else is taking tomorrow however the title of mine is american themes 1763-1980 so im guessing it isnt then? although it does comprise of some of the same material, anyone else doin this exam?
steve2006
closed shops are basically where one occupation is dominated by one trade union and all the workers in that occupation are required to belong to that trade union. I.e Teachers having to belong to the NUT (national union of teachers).

Thats not actually correct the closed shop is banned in this country.

Im pretty confident about this exam, just going to briefly go over natives, oreintals and hispanics briefly tonight then AAs tomorrow morning to keep it fresh on my mind.

Good luck to everyone sitting the exam.
..Northern Soul
Thats not actually correct the closed shop is banned in this country.

Im pretty confident about this exam, just going to briefly go over natives, oreintals and hispanics briefly tonight then AAs tomorrow morning to keep it fresh on my mind.

Good luck to everyone sitting the exam.

Yer i know. it was the only union i think of. NUT is not compulsary.

Ive done African Americans, Done trade unions. Just gotta look over Asians and Natives.

Im ****ting my self for this exam.
Reply 54
Join the club - revised it all about a gizzlion times just random facts are going in my head like the bottom 20% owning 0.05 of the wealth.

I know it Its just when I look at past questions my mind goes completely blank.

I need a miracle.
Reply 55
Uuugh this is going to be so bad. My only saving grace is that I've got maths C4 in the morning so I've got lunchtime isolation to do some last minute cramming.

I know nothing of labour rights, so if that crops up then I have no choice over question. I'm feeling pretty confident about AA turning points, activities of Feds n States, Asians... gotta look over Natives and Hispanics.

And learn maths...

Before tomorrow morning :P
Reply 56
mizmo
Join the club - revised it all about a gizzlion times just random facts are going in my head like the bottom 20% owning 0.05 of the wealth.

I know it Its just when I look at past questions my mind goes completely blank.

I need a miracle.

hahah i feel the same way about the wuestions, however i have done no way near enough revision, i am gonna do the asians/hispanics/natives tonight i done he TU last night and the i will do AA tomoro morning.
Reply 57
Has there ever been a question specifically about women's civil rights?
Reply 58
No I dont think so. :smile:

As the bulk of the syllabus is African Americans
Trade Union/Labour
Ethnic Minorities
- Hispanics
- Asian
- Native Americans
Reply 59
Do you think i can get away with just learning Trade union and African Americans, as i feel theres to much to do now for the other ethnic minorities.

Latest

Trending

Trending