The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
As long as you do any three out of
-AAs
-Natives
-Trade Unions/ Labour Rights
-Asians + Hispanics

You should be okay. Ideally, you should have some awareness of all the ethnic minorities though
Reply 61
I think its mainly trade unions I hope - the New Deal
and African Americans I really want a non-speicfic question on this one. Unless it wants leaders or presidents.
Reply 62
Hologide
Uuugh this is going to be so bad. My only saving grace is that I've got maths C4 in the morning so I've got lunchtime isolation to do some last minute cramming.

I know nothing of labour rights, so if that crops up then I have no choice over question. I'm feeling pretty confident about AA turning points, activities of Feds n States, Asians... gotta look over Natives and Hispanics.

And learn maths...

Before tomorrow morning :P

I'm jealous. My school is making me sit Civil Rights and Core 4 one after the other.
Reply 63
sammyrj
I'm jealous. My school is making me sit Civil Rights and Core 4 one after the other.

That's unlucky. Did you do physics yesterday as well? I had to... I've had like no time to revise at all.

My school were going to make me sit them consecutively too, but I kicked up a fuss when it turned out that a medieval historian sitting the exam same exam times as me had got some isolation.

I feel for you dude... hope you dont need both of them for uni.
gd luck people for tomo. Ive done all i can now. Hopefully its a gd paper with no natives cos i didnt revise em.
so how did every one find it.

When i saw question 29 my eyes lit up. Really good trade unions questions and i am sure i did good on that. But i was gutted when i saw question 28 and 30. I took the risk of not revising natives and it kinda cost me cos i knew Hispanics really well. O well but question 28 i think i did it alrite in. I dropped in MLK then compared him to Booker T/Du Bois then with Randoplh and then finally with Garvey/Malcolm X. I was able to cover the whole period and came to a good judgement. Its just i had no markscheme cos it was from June 2004 so i had to rely on my teachers notes so i'm not sure i had the right points. Im not too pissed off tho cos question 29 was great and i think it warrants full marks.

just hoping i get my A overall. Could be scrape

its my first exam this year that hasnt gone as well as i would have liked
Reply 66
steve2006
so how did every one find it.

When i saw question 29 my eyes lit up. Really good trade unions questions and i am sure i did good on that. But i was gutted when i saw question 28 and 30. I took the risk of not revising natives and it kinda cost me cos i knew Hispanics really well. O well but question 28 i think i did it alrite in. I dropped in MLK then compared him to Booker T/Du Bois then with Randoplh and then finally with Garvey/Malcolm X. I was able to cover the whole period and came to a good judgement. Its just i had no markscheme cos it was from June 2004 so i had to rely on my teachers notes so i'm not sure i had the right points. Im not too pissed off tho cos question 29 was great and i think it warrants full marks.

just hoping i get my A overall. Could be scrape

its my first exam this year that hasnt gone as well as i would have liked

Why didn't you go for teh African-American and Trade Union question? Why did you even consider doing the other one on ethinic minorities?
i did do African Americans and Trade Unions questions...?

sorry if i wasnt clear but i was tryin to say i would have been much more comfortable with question 30 as if u know the turning points it would have been easy but as i didnt revise natives i couldnt do it.
Did the first two, 28 and 29. Under prepared for Martin Luther Question, but Trade Unions went ok. Really annoyed at my timing though, I am not sure if I covered the whole period during my Union question. I will be so pleased if I can scrape an A.
Reply 69
I did 28 and 19 however i thought i doen better in the MLK question than the trade union one. i got a little confused because i thought that as they said the development of their rights i did not think they meant bad bit as well. But i compared it with the 1890s and said it made them more aware they needed to unite and i compared it with the 1920s and added a little about the situation later on.
Reply 70
Did 28 and 30. MLk one great, ethnic minorities not to much! Oh dear....oh well
I did 29 and 30 everyone else I spoke to however did 28 as one of there 2.
i did the native americans and hispanic americans question first, ran over time and then really had to rush my trade unions answer :frown:
Reply 73
i did 29 and 30. the mlk one threw me a bit because i didn't really know enough about the other leaders so just chose to ignore it. trade union was was ok, compare was nasty.
Reply 74
I'm surprised at how well it went. If you'd told me a week ago I'd be smiling coming out of my Civil Rights exam I'd have laughed in your face!

Luckily I'd planned a question on individuals last night! MLK, Malcolm X, Booker T. Washington, William DuBois, Marcus Garvey, Phillip Randolph, Jesse Jackson, Andrew Young, Louis Farrakhan... managed to get them all in. Might have got a bit carried away but I think I wrote a really good essay.

Labour rights question was also good, though I was a bit strapped for time. Compared the New Deal era with all the other eras. Looked at the crap times up to 1900; compared WWI and WWII as a before-and-after in terms of union activity (concluded that the New Deal gave unions more confidence); only just managed to get in all the 1960s stuff; and wrote a bare-bones conclusion.

Went well. Much better than the Core 4 exam that followed. AQA... I hate you for that! :p:
sammyrj

Luckily I'd planned a question on individuals last night! MLK, Malcolm X, Booker T. Washington, William DuBois, Marcus Garvey, Phillip Randolph, Jesse Jackson, Andrew Young, Louis Farrakhan... managed to get them all in. Might have got a bit carried away but I think I wrote a really good essay.

Wow you mentioned so many.....

i only mentioned MLK, Du Bois, Booker T, Randolph, Malcolm X and Garvey. I got a feeling that isnt enough. Im having more and more doubts about that question. Man im depressed.
Reply 76
steve2006
Wow y
ou mentioned so many.....

i only mentioned MLK, Du Bois, Booker T, Randolph, Malcolm X and Garvey. I got a feeling that isnt enough. Im having more and more doubts about that question. Man im depressed.

hahaha i feel exactly the same, i only talked about MLK, Booker T, Ida B wells, Dubois and briefly mentioned malcolm x and Stokely charmicael and the blackpanther movement right at the end.

its the trade union one im more worried about atm
Yeh the paper itself wasn't too bad but I think I just panicked a bit in the exam, lost my focus on change over the period in my essay number 2. I did the Trade Union rights question - I only discussed the trade union movement, I didn't really talk about or refer to the LABOUR RIGHTS movement, my teacher said that's correct? I also did the Native/Hispanic question, I knew there would be a comparison between those two this year!

As I said, in my second essay on Hispanics/Natives, my structure was: Yes, Natives suffered more. Second part was, no they suffered equal amounts of discrimination. But I noticed that a couple of my friends took the structure that yes/no but split it into time periods, thatg seems far more sensilbe as you can assess change easier! DAMN!

But, in my conclusion, I did say ''certainly for the period 1865-1917, NAs sufferedd more, but after the world wars, discrimination seemed to level out and HAs and NAs actually found themselves in a better position than at the beginning of the period.''

Do you think this has saved me, as conclusions are important? I know there's nothing that can be done now, but...I could actually kick myself for losing track!
jonboyyork
Yeh the paper itself wasn't too bad but I think I just panicked a bit in the exam, lost my focus on change over the period in my essay number 2. I did the Trade Union rights question - I only discussed the trade union movement, I didn't really talk about or refer to the LABOUR RIGHTS movement, my teacher said that's correct? I also did the Native/Hispanic question, I knew there would be a comparison between those two this year!

As I said, in my second essay on Hispanics/Natives, my structure was: Yes, Natives suffered more. Second part was, no they suffered equal amounts of discrimination. But I noticed that a couple of my friends took the structure that yes/no but split it into time periods, thatg seems far more sensilbe as you can assess change easier! DAMN!

But, in my conclusion, I did say ''certainly for the period 1865-1917, NAs sufferedd more, but after the world wars, discrimination seemed to level out and HAs and NAs actually found themselves in a better position than at the beginning of the period.''

Do you think this has saved me, as conclusions are important? I know there's nothing that can be done now, but...I could actually kick myself for losing track!

I honestly think you'll be fine.. we were given some A-grade sample answers of those comparison questions, and none of them addressed pace of change explicitly, it was just sort of hinted at in their assessment of each group. I also came to the same conclusion as you, so here's to hoping we've got it right :p: .
Reply 79
wait 1 sec was the pullman strike labour relations or trade union, and how about aspects of the new deal such as wagner and nira.

Latest

Trending

Trending