The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Agreed, same or slightly lower/higher by a mark so around 50
Original post by beditness
Predictions on grade boundaries guys?
I felt the exam was reasonable but this is relative to the specificity of the mark scheme. Similar to 2017 Gb imo, if not lower
Why add glucose solution for growth (question)

- The question stated the room was dark so therefore light is not present to initiate the light-dependent and light-independent stage (the calvin cycle) where sugars are produced.
- The glucose solution (absorbed by roots?) is used in respiration for growth.

Why does adenylate cyclase (being inhibited) reduce glucose concentration (question)

- I believe the question referred to the enzyme being inhibited so the enzyme (adenyl cyclase) could not bind to the substrate ATP (could state that no E-S complexes form) to form product cAMP.
- cAMP is the second messenger to activate enzyme kinase (protein) which catalyses glycogenolysis (converts starch or fat into glucose) which moves by facilitated diffusion out of liver into bloodstream.
Reply 22
but the shoots can't carry out photosynthesis because they don't have leaves yet, I said the glucose is used to respire, and without the glucose the cells would die so there would be no growth, which would affect the results of the experiment
Original post by Jacob Billyeald
Why add glucose solution for growth (question)

- The question stated the room was dark so therefore light is not present to initiate the light-dependent and light-independent stage (the calvin cycle) where sugars are produced.
- The glucose solution (absorbed by roots?) is used in respiration for growth.

Why does adenylate cyclase (being inhibited) reduce glucose concentration (question)

- I believe the question referred to the enzyme being inhibited so the enzyme (adenyl cyclase) could not bind to the substrate ATP (could state that no E-S complexes form) to form product cAMP.
- cAMP is the second messenger to activate enzyme kinase (protein) which catalyses glycogenolysis (converts starch or fat into glucose) which moves by facilitated diffusion out of liver into bloodstream.
Original post by rf8457
but the shoots can't carry out photosynthesis because they don't have leaves yet, I said the glucose is used to respire, and without the glucose the cells would die so there would be no growth, which would affect the results of the experiment

Good point I didn't actually think about that, now I feel stupid
How did you feel you did on the exams? What mark do you think you got?
Original post by Azeee
Agreed, same or slightly lower/higher by a mark so around 50
Reply 25
honestly with a mark scheme so specific like AQA Bio, who knows what they'll accept:biggrin:
Original post by Jacob Billyeald
Good point I didn't actually think about that, now I feel stupid
for different pigments in leaves being advantageous - I think the second mark is for saying "hence more light energy is absorbed for photosynthesis"
(edited 4 years ago)
was there an essay question?
was this all the questions covered?
Reply 29
Hi do you have the mark scheme to this paper or the question paper itself?

Latest

Trending

Trending