The Student Room Group

advice for a mum becoming a nursing student

Would love to her from other mums that are starting or currently doing a nursing degree. Any tips or advice would be great! My background is I have worked as a HCA in respiratory for the past 3 years, have also worked in mental health and with learning disabilities have worked since I left college and then decided after having 2 boys to go to uni! Am I mad!
Reply 1
Not a mum but yeah you're MAD! Like nuts!

:smile:

Best of luck!
Good for you girl! Sounds like you would make a great nurse, I dont think your mad for wanting to start nursing as alot of women have a change in career path after their children have grown up, my mum did the same thing
Reply 3
I have a 5 year old son he will be starting school in August and I'll be starting uni in September to do children's nursing. Will definitely be hard but the hard work and effort will pay off in the end. I am 23 tho so not a mature student but do have a child don't think age will affect you doing this apart from being at an advantage with your experience from previous work. Good luck!
Reply 4
I have two young children and have just started my adult nursing degree, we are mad 😂 I’m so glad I did it though, go for it! It will be hard but worth it xx x
Reply 5
Not a mum myself, but there are plenty of mums on my course - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!
They all seem to have a good support network in place and applied for additional funding.
Its definitely hard work, but worth it if it's really what you want to pursue.
I’m 40 with 2 teenage boys starting a nursing degree in September !! I’ll be 44 when I qualify..
Reply 7
I’m a student nurse (adult nursing) & a single mum. I’ve actually enjoyed my first year, stressful but definitely worth it!
Age is but a number!! Nursing is continuous learning throughout your career so it never stops after you qualify at 44!!!!
You will get student finance and maintenance loan and parents learning allowance and possibly a bursary from university for low income/parent and a travel payment from nhs for your placements if further than university!
I’ve managed a year and it was hard work but definitely felt the pressure of not being there for my mini me. Onwards and upwards.
You will be fine going to university as a mature student, your find most are mature anyway and a few 18year olds!!
Steer clear of universal credits, you won’t get much government support if you claim student finance! They count it as income even tho it’s a debt!!! Few Facebook groups to join if you want to get support in finances , to work out where you stand!
Hope i’ve Helped x
Ps. go for it!!!

Original post by Mollymoo1
I’m 40 with 2 teenage boys starting a nursing degree in September !! I’ll be 44 when I qualify..
Thanks for you post it has helped I’m actually doing an apprenticeship degree through my local nhs trust so I will be employed by them and will work 37 hrs a week on placement/shift I’m a little nervous as to how I will fit the studying in at the same time but haven’t received much info about it all yet only just confirmed my offer x
Original post by Nurse32
I’m a student nurse (adult nursing) & a single mum. I’ve actually enjoyed my first year, stressful but definitely worth it!
Age is but a number!! Nursing is continuous learning throughout your career so it never stops after you qualify at 44!!!!
You will get student finance and maintenance loan and parents learning allowance and possibly a bursary from university for low income/parent and a travel payment from nhs for your placements if further than university!
I’ve managed a year and it was hard work but definitely felt the pressure of not being there for my mini me. Onwards and upwards.
You will be fine going to university as a mature student, your find most are mature anyway and a few 18year olds!!
Steer clear of universal credits, you won’t get much government support if you claim student finance! They count it as income even tho it’s a debt!!! Few Facebook groups to join if you want to get support in finances , to work out where you stand!
Hope i’ve Helped x
Ps. go for it!!!
i'm not a mum (not even close lol) but if you want it, go for it! nothing worth having comes easy :smile: good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending