The Student Room Group
Ayr Campus
University of the West of Scotland

Placement/childcare

Hi I am enquiring about how flexible placement are with start times? I note the shift starts 7am for day shift but trying to work out a logistical child care plan. Child minding or nanny isn't an issue if required but the only trouble is I'd need regular days times which I wouldn't know until I go out on placement..

I am happy to stay my full hours don't expect to work any less time, just wondered if there was a way out of waking my kids up at 0530 to then wake a relative up to do the school run 3 hours later. I also don't think many child minders start at 6am.

In an ideal world I can broach the placement I am on but I haven't really found an appropriate person to ask.

Any advice would be great. I imagine they must do for circumstantial as I have known single mums to complete the degree.

Thanks, C.
Reply 1
Original post by Russellmuscle09
Hi I am enquiring about how flexible placement are with start times? I note the shift starts 7am for day shift but trying to work out a logistical child care plan. Child minding or nanny isn't an issue if required but the only trouble is I'd need regular days times which I wouldn't know until I go out on placement..

I am happy to stay my full hours don't expect to work any less time, just wondered if there was a way out of waking my kids up at 0530 to then wake a relative up to do the school run 3 hours later. I also don't think many child minders start at 6am.

In an ideal world I can broach the placement I am on but I haven't really found an appropriate person to ask.

Any advice would be great. I imagine they must do for circumstantial as I have known single mums to complete the degree.

Thanks, C.

Unfortunately no leaway for you as it's your responsibility to be at your placement on time and ready. If your are doing a nursing degree then you should talk to your placement officer or university course leader about advice on this. This is all you can do and see what they say to you but I don't think you'll be allowed to come in late every shift 😔😔.

I expect my students that I'm teaching to be on time and ready to listen in with the hand overs from the other shift. If you are going to be late just once you would've phone ahead and tell them that you'll be about xxx time late due to ( whatever the reason) but childcare is your responsibility to sort out as you must have known that you'll be needing this sorted out when you applied for nursing with University West of Scotland).

I can assure you that single mothers and mothers with partners are treated the same as everyone else.
I have students who are single parents and they managed to get into placement for starting times whether it's dayshift or nightshifts and weekend working as they understand that it's part of the job.

A NHS Scotland registered midwife in the Greater Glasgow and Clyde health board area.

@Emily_B - how do you cope with students coming in late due to childcare situation as we don't allow any leeway with it. ( She is a University West of Scotland student nurse okay)... Your opinion would be appreciated
(edited 10 months ago)
Ayr Campus
University of the West of Scotland
Reply 2

Thanks, C.

Start times aren't flexible - you're required to be there for handover. If your shift starts at 7, you really can't be coming in at 8 because that's more convenient for childcare - you will have missed handover reports and the start of the day; there isn't time to spend another 20-30 mins handing over again to you.
Many a single mum has completed nursing or midwifery degrees because they've got childcare sorted.

Original post by Tracey_W
Unfortunately no leaway for you as it's your responsibility to be at your placement on time and ready. If your are doing a nursing degree then you should talk to your placement officer or university course leader about advice on this. This is all you can do and see what they say to you but I don't think you'll be allowed to come in late every shift 😔😔.

I expect my students that I'm teaching to be on time and ready to listen in with the hand overs from the other shift. If you are going to be late just once you would've phone ahead and tell them that you'll be about xxx time late due to ( whatever the reason) but childcare is your responsibility to sort out as you must have known that you'll be needing this sorted out when you applied for nursing with University West of Scotland).

I can assure you that single mothers and mothers with partners are treated the same as everyone else.
I have students who are single parents and they managed to get into placement for starting times whether it's dayshift or nightshifts and weekend working as they understand that it's part of the job.

A NHS Scotland registered midwife in the Greater Glasgow and Clyde health board area.

@Emily_B - how do you cope with students coming in late due to childcare situation as we don't allow any leeway with it. ( She is a University West of Scotland student nurse okay)... Your opinion would be appreciated

Just like your students, we don't adjust start times for our Cheshire/Wirral/Wrexham students, for the exact same reasons.
I had one student who did late shifts only for the first week while she got childcare sorted for the rest of the placement. My last student had to swap a couple of shifts because she had no childcare whatsoever for those shifts. Other than that, all our students are expected to be ready to take handover at 730am and stay til the end of evening handover at 830pm, and they all manage that including the single mums.
Thanks, no leeway is fine as I stated I am able to organise nanny or child minders.
I am well aware of my responsibilities prior to doing the course hence why I am being proactive and asking for advice months prior to starting and not just showing up expecting people to be flexible. I will be ready to learn.

Thanks for advice.

C

Original post by Emily_B
Start times aren't flexible - you're required to be there for handover. If your shift starts at 7, you really can't be coming in at 8 because that's more convenient for childcare - you will have missed handover reports and the start of the day; there isn't time to spend another 20-30 mins handing over again to you.
Many a single mum has completed nursing or midwifery degrees because they've got childcare sorted.

Just like your students, we don't adjust start times for our Cheshire/Wirral/Wrexham students, for the exact same reasons.
I had one student who did late shifts only for the first week while she got childcare sorted for the rest of the placement. My last student had to swap a couple of shifts because she had no childcare whatsoever for those shifts. Other than that, all our students are expected to be ready to take handover at 730am and stay til the end of evening handover at 830pm, and they all manage that including the single mums.

I think that's why I've made this post, to sort childcare prior to starting.

Thanks for your advice.

C
Reply 5
Thanks, no leeway is fine as I stated I am able to organise nanny or child minders.
I am well aware of my responsibilities prior to doing the course hence why I am being proactive and asking for advice months prior to starting and not just showing up expecting people to be flexible. I will be ready to learn.

Thanks for advice.

C

You are welcome.

Another thing to remember about placements especially the hospital one's is that you need to probably arrive a bit earlier than your starting time to allow you to change out of your normal clothes and then change into your nursing uniform and same at the end of your shift as you are not allowed to travel to and from placements in your uniform.
Community placement you should have somewhere to change about and if not you can wear your uniform to and from it but you'll need to check out this one due to each GP practice being different.
Reply 6
Original post by Emily_B

Thanks for your input Emily as wasn't sure what your rules were about students in situation like this 😔.
I would suggest that she speaks to her course leader when she starts her course in September about things so that they may be able to help her out by asking her to do Nightshift for a few days so that she can sort out any issues with childcare as sometimes they are accomodating providing they know well in advance.
You are welcome.

Another thing to remember about placements especially the hospital one's is that you need to probably arrive a bit earlier than your starting time to allow you to change out of your normal clothes and then change into your nursing uniform and same at the end of your shift as you are not allowed to travel to and from placements in your uniform.
Community placement you should have somewhere to change about and if not you can wear your uniform to and from it but you'll need to check out this one due to each GP practice being different.

Thanks. Luckily I won't be totally alien to other rules as I do HCSW on bank occasionally but always good to keep in mind.

I've contacted a whole bunch of child minders today, only annoying thing is I likely won't get any notice of placements until I start but hopefully I find one that gets my situ.

C
Reply 8
Thanks. Luckily I won't be totally alien to other rules as I do HCSW on bank occasionally but always good to keep in mind.

I've contacted a whole bunch of child minders today, only annoying thing is I likely won't get any notice of placements until I start but hopefully I find one that gets my situ.

C

No worries ☺️

At least you know what the rules are with NHS Scotland with you working as a healthcare assistant on Bank shifts.
You'll not know what your placement will be until at least one or two weeks prior to starting it as this allows you to sort out things for getting to it.

Quick Reply

Latest