The Student Room Group

UCAS is open for 2024 applicants !! and i have a question!!!

it's a bit early but it's nice to look around the site. i only knew because it emailed me and i looked at psychology & nursing courses as i'm deciding between those two careers.
i did find nursing apprenticeships but mostly associates, are those apprenticeships for people who work with the NHS already or work as healthcare assistants? (out of curiosity)
@alevelstudent090
Apprenticeships are for those already working within the industry sadly (as hca's normally).

What is it you are looking to do?

As a nursing associate isn't a registered nurse
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by HappyBunny'93
@alevelstudent090
Apprenticeships are for those already working within the industry sadly (as hca's normally).

What is it you are looking to do?

As a nursing associate isn't a registered nurse

that’s a shame.

well adult or mental health nursing but i do need to get gcse science if i choose adult nursing. however, when i saw the apprenticeships i was hoping to complete the associate and then find another degree apprenticeship to top it up to being a registered nurse but it doesn’t work like that. so i’ll have to apply to uni and hope i get the grades 😬😬😬 im self studying a levels and it’s extremely hard for me with a part time job and i always overthink if im doing enough which i study 3-5 hours a day. normally 25 hours a week which isn’t good enough.
Reply 3
Original post by alevelstudent090
that’s a shame.

well adult or mental health nursing but i do need to get gcse science if i choose adult nursing. however, when i saw the apprenticeships i was hoping to complete the associate and then find another degree apprenticeship to top it up to being a registered nurse but it doesn’t work like that. so i’ll have to apply to uni and hope i get the grades 😬😬😬 im self studying a levels and it’s extremely hard for me with a part time job and i always overthink if im doing enough which i study 3-5 hours a day. normally 25 hours a week which isn’t good enough.

In the same boat as u pls lmk if u have any updates/ guidance on what to do I rly don’t wanna go uni
Reply 4
Original post by zulekha.k
In the same boat as u pls lmk if u have any updates/ guidance on what to do I rly don’t wanna go uni

From my understanding the only way to do a nursing associate apprenticeship or even a nursing degree apprenticeship is that you need meet the obvious requirements but also have previous caring experience usually HCA work. The only other avenue is applying directly through uni with your a-level grades or by completing an access course :smile:
Original post by zulekha.k

im probably going to become a healthcare assistant next year after exams and then after a year or two ill apply for the apprenticeship. do you study a-levels or are u a HCA already?
i dont think uni is for me either:frown:
Original post by km0294819
From my understanding the only way to do a nursing associate apprenticeship or even a nursing degree apprenticeship is that you need meet the obvious requirements but also have previous caring experience usually HCA work. The only other avenue is applying directly through uni with your a-level grades or by completing an access course :smile:

im in the same boat as the user u replied to, would you say it’s a waste of time after me self studying a levels and wanting to be a HCA and then applying for a nursing degree apprenticeship afterwards?
Reply 7
im in the same boat as the user u replied to, would you say it’s a waste of time after me self studying a levels and wanting to be a HCA and then applying for a nursing degree apprenticeship afterwards?

I think it entirely depends if you don’t mind how long it’ll take you to become a registered nurse as the degree apprentice in usually 4 years. Another thing to keep in mind is that most trusts would like you to have previous care experience when applying for a hca role. However you could apply for a hca apprenticeship without needing any previous experience but which i’m not sure how long it takes to complete.

I was lucky enough to start working as a hca without any experience and I’m hopefully off to uni this september for adult nursing! So it honestly depends on if you don’t mind it taking a good few years
I think it entirely depends if you don’t mind how long it’ll take you to become a registered nurse as the degree apprentice in usually 4 years. Another thing to keep in mind is that most trusts would like you to have previous care experience when applying for a hca role. However you could apply for a hca apprenticeship without needing any previous experience but which i’m not sure how long it takes to complete.

I was lucky enough to start working as a hca without any experience and I’m hopefully off to uni this september for adult nursing! So it honestly depends on if you don’t mind it taking a good few years

yes, i dont mind waiting a few extra years because id rather be a HCA and get experience before becoming a nurse and i also dont like the idea of being at university. i have had 130 hours in a carehome would that be enough or would i need clinical experience? i wouldn’t mind finding somewhere next year after exams for the summer and then hopefully applying in september next year.

oooh, so u dont always need experience hopefully its fine then lol. i have a level 2 technical health and social care certificate too so hopefully thats enough too im not so sure. i could always get more experience in the carehome as my mum works there.

oh wow, good luck with your adult nursing degree!!! it’s nice youve had some experience too isnt it so that’s nice:smile:
Reply 9
yes, i dont mind waiting a few extra years because id rather be a HCA and get experience before becoming a nurse and i also dont like the idea of being at university. i have had 130 hours in a carehome would that be enough or would i need clinical experience? i wouldn’t mind finding somewhere next year after exams for the summer and then hopefully applying in september next year.

oooh, so u dont always need experience hopefully its fine then lol. i have a level 2 technical health and social care certificate too so hopefully thats enough too im not so sure. i could always get more experience in the carehome as my mum works there.

oh wow, good luck with your adult nursing degree!!! it’s nice youve had some experience too isnt it so that’s nice:smile:

a gap year sounds like good plan!! having experience beforehand as a hca has helped so much as i was originally interested in childrens nursing but working on an adult ward has changed my mind, plus you get to know what working on a ward is really like bc it is very hectic 🤣
Reply 10
im probably going to become a healthcare assistant next year after exams and then after a year or two ill apply for the apprenticeship. do you study a-levels or are u a HCA already?
i dont think uni is for me either:frown:

I’m currently doing a levels
Reply 11

This helps a lot thank you 💗

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending