The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

monica7790
the things you have just mentioned is in my A2 book, thats pretty much all i know on ethnicity and crime apart from things to do with victim surveys and self report. and something to do with mayhew, bowling. im screwed with this exam. but... couldn't we right about normative masculinity because in ethnic minority homes theres less likely to be a father, so no role model, so the boys could have to 'learn' how to be masculine?

Yeah, I suppose, but there are more obvious things to write about (like what I mentioned). It seems a bit obscure if you go down that route, because it's more related to gender, and reminiscent of Underclass Theory, where young boys don't have appropriate male role models, so use crime as a way to express their masculine identity.
Reply 21
ethnicity has never been a 40 marker yet. Since it is the penultimate paper, i wouldn't be suprised if it came up.

Me also thinks the methods question will be the 12 marker -- don't ask me why.
Reply 22
Aithne13
ethnicity has never been a 40 marker yet. Since it is the penultimate paper, i wouldn't be suprised if it came up.

Me also thinks the methods question will be the 12 marker -- don't ask me why.

so if they were to ask methods as the 12 marker, can they only ever ask things such as statistics for suicide, or things about victim surveys or self reports?
Reply 23
alot of people i know really want suicide to come up. i'm not as keen on ethnicity, it seems easy enough, just hard to remember all of the stats of black people more likely to be stopped and search, arrested and so on.
Reply 24
my best guess are ethinicity and suicide.

Don't think they are too short topics, I have to cut down lots to write them in 1 hour. Tons of synoptic links you can put in an ethinicity essay (e.g. single-parent families -> 40 -something% are headed by black females -> living in material deprivation -> turn to crime such as prostitution and shop lifting to provide for the children. Or material and cultural deficit in education -> labelled as more criminal and less academically able than whites -> anti-school subcultures (Marxists-> the majority of black come from working-class families-> resist capitalism) -> failure -> crimes. And etc.)

Subcultures were on the Jan 08 paper as 40 marks questions. It's unlikely they will turn up again as 40 marks.
Reply 25
thanks for the synoptic links, i'm always getting confused with them. are they are synoptic links for suicide?
Reply 26
u cud use suicide bombers in relation to religion
Reply 27
yeah, that's a good one. do you think you could also use wallis's world rejecting NRMs such as the People's Template who commited mass suicide?
Reply 28
yeah u can
this is the only part i like about this section the connections to other topics
Reply 29
yeah, i like linking them to other topics only i never seem to realise things can be linked to other things hahah. man i'm dreading crime and deviance tomorrow :frown:
Why are people saying there's not enough to write for ethnicity?! I have absolutely loads in my notes, probably enough for an 8 page essay. I think it'd be great if it came up. The synoptic links are easy for ethnicity and gender, they just need to be remembered well.

I don't mind what comes up actually, well, apart from something like Locality and Crime, or Age and Crime. I think Gender would be ideal though.
katie_
yeah, that's a good one. do you think you could also use wallis's world rejecting NRMs such as the People's Template who commited mass suicide?

lmao you mean 'temple', dont you? or was that a joke? :rolleyes:
Reply 32
lol no i meant temple :P
Reply 33
what can you write in a ethnicity essay? apart from the obvious
comoooon suicide
Reply 35
suicide as well ? anything else
Reply 36
come onnnn ethncity!!!
Reply 37
i want a methods 8 marker, a links 12 marker and a theories 40 marker. not sure about the specifics though.
Reply 38
Even if you don't think you know much for ethnicity, you can always put a spin on some research to prove your point. In fact, that is a very good way to get analysis marks. None the less, you should really know some basic theories :tongue:.

Latest

Trending

Trending