The Student Room Group

Should I switch from part-time university to full-time university?

I am a Part-Time University student (19 years old) studying BSc Quantity Surveying. I have recently completed my first year of the course and will return to start my second year this September. I have been struggling to find a Trainee/Apprentice Quantity Surveying job as companies have told me that their vacancies are suited for students who have not started the course yet. Bearing this in mind, it is not looking too promising for me to get a job in Quantity Surveying during while on my Part-Time course. Would it be a better option for me to switch to the Full-Time BSc Quantity Surveying course?

As I have completed the first year of the Part-Time course, I would be able to progress onto the second year of the course. As well as this, getting an Industrial placement and applying for a Graduate position with a company looks a lot more likely. It would mean a lot to me if someone could help me out as these two months are crucial in my life.

Thank you for reading.
Reply 1
Yep. Go full time and do an industrial year, experience is crucial nowadays.
Original post by SLovett
I am a Part-Time University student (19 years old) studying BSc Quantity Surveying. I have recently completed my first year of the course and will return to start my second year this September. I have been struggling to find a Trainee/Apprentice Quantity Surveying job as companies have told me that their vacancies are suited for students who have not started the course yet. Bearing this in mind, it is not looking too promising for me to get a job in Quantity Surveying during while on my Part-Time course. Would it be a better option for me to switch to the Full-Time BSc Quantity Surveying course?

As I have completed the first year of the Part-Time course, I would be able to progress onto the second year of the course. As well as this, getting an Industrial placement and applying for a Graduate position with a company looks a lot more likely. It would mean a lot to me if someone could help me out as these two months are crucial in my life.

Thank you for reading.

Did you take a part time course because you wanted to find an apprentice/trainee job at the same time or were there any other reasons?

It would make better sense to study full time and look for internships during the summer. You will complete your course quicker and learn the theory and knowledge quicker to be able to apply to real life work. Once you get your degree, you can use this to apply for graduate roles
Reply 3
Original post by Xarao
Yep. Go full time and do an industrial year, experience is crucial nowadays.

Thank you for replying. Means a lot.
Reply 4
Original post by cheesecakelove
Did you take a part time course because you wanted to find an apprentice/trainee job at the same time or were there any other reasons?

It would make better sense to study full time and look for internships during the summer. You will complete your course quicker and learn the theory and knowledge quicker to be able to apply to real life work. Once you get your degree, you can use this to apply for graduate roles

Yes, I wanted to find an Apprenticeship/Trainee course at the same time so I could get more experience of the Quantity Surveying role. Thanks for the reply, it's clear that transferring to full-time and applying for Industrial placements and Internships is the best option for me.

It would be unlikely for me to get an Industrial placement or an Internship starting this year though wouldn't it? It seems that most placements start the following year of applying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending