The Student Room Group

Changing course at the same university?

I am half-way through my second year at university on a course that I'm dreading as I really do not enjoy the content, nor the future career prospects I see and have experienced working within. This has me really demoralized and has exacerbated my anxiety with my future looking delayed and empty as I don't know what to do.

Would I be able to change my course within the same university, as I do prefer the university I am at, but it just the course that is the issue. It is past the UCAS deadline and I intentionally did not want to apply to the same university as I had thought that they may confront and interrogate me about the fact I've applied to the uni while I'm still a registered full-time student there and why I've done this, which may jeopardize my current position there. (These thought are anxiety driven, I still don't know myself whether this would happen or not because I haven't seen any claims of it being done online, I have a difficult time rationally thinking about these things when it seems like I'm stuck) Would It be advisable to enquire this with the admissions team if they would consider me for changing course from the next academic year without applying through UCAS?

It would also help if people with any similar experiences would share it here as well :smile:.
You may be able to facilitate and internal switch without applying through UCAS, it will be at the receiving department/course's discretion though. I would discuss with your personal tutor in the first instance.

Note that if you've studied full time for more than one year at a uni, you will not have full funding available for a new full time course and may need to self-fund one or more years unless they permit you to transfer directly into year 2 of the new course. Note also any self-funded years will be the first year(s) in the new course, not the last one(s), as SFE calculate funding backwards from the end of the degree.

This financial factor is very significant and is probably the first consideration. Note that if changing to a part-time course this should usually not affect things though.
speak to your personal tutor to see if he can help with a transfer. The problem you might encounter is that you are entitle to student finance for the length of your degree and an additional year so you need to restart at year 2 otherwise you will need to fund the first year. If this is required discuss with student finance to see whether there are special circumstance to overcome this @PQ would there be anyway around the 3+1 on medical grounds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending