The Student Room Group

2 languages at GCSE- yay or nay? 😐

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Klotild
Hi,
If you enjoy languages and have future plans with them, the answer to your question is definitely yes.
My child did two languages at GCSE level (German and Spanish) although he is bilingual in other two.
He did both in one year with A* results, so it is definitely doable. He studied German from age 7, but he started Spanish only 10 months before he actually sat the exam. Yes, they are hard work, but in my son's case they definitely did not interfere with his other subjects, and he did all the Sciences, plus more:-)

Hello,
Thank you for replying. That's amazing how much your son managed to achieve, a language in 10 months is so incredible. I understand it's hard work, but I'm prepared to do so because languages are probably going to play a big part in my future. 😄 And I hope I'll manage with other subjects, so I think I'll take this opportunity and see where the following months take me!
Original post by Roses & Dreams
Hello,
Thank you for replying. That's amazing how much your son managed to achieve, a language in 10 months is so incredible. I understand it's hard work, but I'm prepared to do so because languages are probably going to play a big part in my future. 😄 And I hope I'll manage with other subjects, so I think I'll take this opportunity and see where the following months take me!

I did 3 languages and it was no bother - probably the easiest GCSEs I did. If you like languages, go for it :smile:
Original post by black tea
I did 3 languages and it was no bother - probably the easiest GCSEs I did. If you like languages, go for it :smile:

I do really like languages.
If you don't mind me asking, what did you get in your GCSEs?
Thank you for replying, I'm probably going to take it. :smile:
I do really like languages.
If you don't mind me asking, what did you get in your GCSEs?
Thank you for replying, I'm probably going to take it. :smile:

I got 10 A*s :smile:
Revision tips I’d say:-Learn all your vocabulary (use Memrise or Quizlet online) -Have a notebook to write down all the vocab you come across the you don’t know so you can learnt it -Change your phone’s language to Spanish -Start watching Spanish shows with subtitles That’s all I can think of right now but the best thing I’d say for you is constant exposure, try to surround yourself with Spanish and French too all the time, so you become more familiar with them and can recall them faster - whether that’s through technology or reading books in that language or even just talking to yourself in the languages. Hope this helped and good luck, you’l really enjoy them!!
I thought you were doing three :rofl2:
I got 10 A*s :smile:

:eek4: :dance:
Woah! That is...wow! Well done, to get those grades is absolutely insane (in a good way :h:).

Original post by Satyr
I thought you were doing three :rofl2:

Very long story.
I'm defo doing French. :redface:
Russian I said if I take it on your thread because I cannot spell in Russian to save my life. :colonhash:
And Spanish is the one that I'm still considering because I got offered it recently, but it's a brand new language. I think I'm taking it now though. :excited:

If my spelling and grammar get better in Russian, then I'll be taking that because it's my second language. The one exam that is stopping me from taking it is the writing; normally my strongest but in this case I get let down very often with it... 😤
Original post by skytree94
Revision tips I’d say:-Learn all your vocabulary (use Memrise or Quizlet online) -Have a notebook to write down all the vocab you come across the you don’t know so you can learnt it -Change your phone’s language to Spanish -Start watching Spanish shows with subtitles That’s all I can think of right now but the best thing I’d say for you is constant exposure, try to surround yourself with Spanish and French too all the time, so you become more familiar with them and can recall them faster - whether that’s through technology or reading books in that language or even just talking to yourself in the languages. Hope this helped and good luck, you’l really enjoy them!!

This has helped me so much, thank you!
I've started Memrise and am creating Quizlet sets for new vocab but I'm going to take the notebook idea: it sounds so useful! And the phone settings, but I may do that on some games instead. :dance:

I normally talk to myself in French because my parents studied German, and the looks I get are hilarious. :cool: I don't mind lol, but it's a sight for sore eyes. 😎

I know I'm going to enjoy both languages, so thanks again for your help!
Original post by Roses &amp
I really want to do, I think I might go for it. We only get one chance and this may be it for me because I love languages and my journey with French has been incredible so far.

My teacher has told me that I should go for it, he was the one who suggested it tbh.

I don't think so no. The reason being I'm going into Year 10 next year so I've already started my GCSEs (including French) this year. However, because of my grades in French I have been given the opportunity to add Spanish to French, it's an extra option and I wouldn't be able to change it to anything else. I'm the only person who would be doing French+Spanish and all of the other options that I have been taking this year.

Thank you for the reply, you've been a big help! 😄

Hiya, I’m guessing not a huge amount of people will be doing Spanish and so class sizes will be smaller? If so it will be much easier to learn the material. Either way I would say go for it. I am currently in year 10 - year 11 and I am doing French, German and Latin and I’m predicted a 9,8 and 9 respectively in those. It has been a challenge but if you’re willing to work hard then definitely go for it as it will benefit you in the future!
Also lots of my friends are doing Spanish and they all really enjoy it. They say it is very fast paced learner no but if you work hard you won’t have an issue
Original post by Mayataylor
Hiya, I’m guessing not a huge amount of people will be doing Spanish and so class sizes will be smaller? If so it will be much easier to learn the material. Either way I would say go for it. I am currently in year 10 - year 11 and I am doing French, German and Latin and I’m predicted a 9,8 and 9 respectively in those. It has been a challenge but if you’re willing to work hard then definitely go for it as it will benefit you in the future!

Hello,
Thank you for replying. I think the classes are the same, it's quite a longer story but Spanish will probably be quite big. :cry: I think I may go for it- it's hard work but I want to prepare myself as much as possible now rather than later. Those predicted grades are amazing: you must have studied quite a bit?
I would like to pursue French as an A-level and seeing where Spanish takes me, perhaps study it on the side? I'm not sure yet, we'll have to see where my journey takes me. :confused:
Original post by Mayataylor
Also lots of my friends are doing Spanish and they all really enjoy it. They say it is very fast paced learner no but if you work hard you won’t have an issue

:yep: That's a good thing. I've heard that the Spanish class have gone through 5 modules, so I have a lot to catch up with lmao.

Thanks again!
It’s kinda different but I studied some of my GCSEs in Welsh (it was a Welsh first-Language school), the sciences and English (obvs) in English and then also learnt German at the same time. My friend did this but took french as well as German, he was a languages person and breezed it somehow - I found it okay as long as you work hard! :smile:
Reply 32
Go for it! I wish I had done two languages but my school wouldn’t let me as I’m passionate about languages like you too!
Original post by shelbywilsher88
It’s kinda different but I studied some of my GCSEs in Welsh (it was a Welsh first-Language school), the sciences and English (obvs) in English and then also learnt German at the same time. My friend did this but took french as well as German, he was a languages person and breezed it somehow - I found it okay as long as you work hard! :smile:

:yep: Thank you!

Original post by skent6
Go for it! I wish I had done two languages but my school wouldn’t let me as I’m passionate about languages like you too!

I think I will. I am the only person who got this opportunity, so I'm really lucky I guess because the school wouldn't have let me if it wasn't for my teacher. :adore:
Firstly, French and Spanish are not at all similar and would be difficult to mix them up. I speak French, Spanish and Italian fluently and found it pretty easy to do as knowing one helps with the other (especially grammar). Also, I think conjugations are pretty different from each other and find them the most important in any language. If you learn conjugations, everything else will just fall into place. I think it is a good idea, especially if you want to do both at A-level.
Original post by JMcGarry00
Firstly, French and Spanish are not at all similar and would be difficult to mix them up. I speak French, Spanish and Italian fluently and found it pretty easy to do as knowing one helps with the other (especially grammar). Also, I think conjugations are pretty different from each other and find them the most important in any language. If you learn conjugations, everything else will just fall into place. I think it is a good idea, especially if you want to do both at A-level.

:yep: Thank you!
Reply 36
Hello,
I'll keep this short, but I would just like some advice about studying both French and Spanish. I love languages with a passion and am willing to work hard, but I need to see if the decision is right or not before I commit to anything. I already study French and have been given the opportunity to study Spanish on top (long story) but it is a language that I didn't really pay attention to in primary... 😓🤤

[scrollr]Woops. 🤗[/scrollr]
Well, I said this wouldn't be a long post but perhaps I lied... Anyway any advice on whether I should take Spanish or not is much appreciated, and if anybody has any revision or study tips then I would love to hear from them.

Advantages:
Love languages (already mentioned)
Willing to work hard (already mentioned)
Looks good on CV
Want to pursue languages further and potentially have a career associated with them
Pushes me further (I am working at a good grade in French which is why I have been given this incredible chance)
Looks interesting so far.

Disadvantages:
Could mix up both languages (biggest one for me)
Time consuming so other subjects such as triple science may lack.
Have to start from scratch.
Increases exams- more stress.

Worst case scenario- I start learning Spanish, don't do it properly, procrastinate and both languages go down the toilet. Meaning that my French will say au revoir and leave me forever.

Thank you! (If anyone replies?) 😂

Hiya!
I see where you're coming from with the whole 'what if I mix up the languages' thing - some of my friends at GCSE did French and Spanish and they did mix up words sometimes. This wasn't very often though, and a lot of them actually found that it benefitted them to do both, as their skills in one could transfer to the other quite easily. On the point of not being able to do things like triple science alongside it, it's actually fine for time management - I did Spanish + Latin, Triple Science, and an extra GCSE and came out with good grades by the end of it :smile:
Ultimately, it's up to you - if you'd enjoy it and find it straightforward, go for it!
Good luck :smile: :smile:
:eek4: :dance:
Woah! That is...wow! Well done, to get those grades is absolutely insane (in a good way :h:).

Very long story.
I'm defo doing French. :redface:
Russian I said if I take it on your thread because I cannot spell in Russian to save my life. :colonhash:
And Spanish is the one that I'm still considering because I got offered it recently, but it's a brand new language. I think I'm taking it now though. :excited:

If my spelling and grammar get better in Russian, then I'll be taking that because it's my second language. The one exam that is stopping me from taking it is the writing; normally my strongest but in this case I get let down very often with it... 😤

Thank you :smile:

The level expected at GCSE for Russian writing (for writing in all foreign languages really) is pretty low. If you speak it as a second language, it would be a very easy GCSE to do.
(edited 4 years ago)
Thank you :smile:

The level expected at GCSE for Russian writing (for writing in all foreign languages really) is pretty low. If you speak it at a second language, it would be a very GCSE to do.

I'm considering it. If I improve spelling and grammar, I could do it as a GCSE but I'm just not sure. And the amount of exams I'll be taking would be immense.
I'm considering it. If I improve spelling and grammar, I could do it as a GCSE but I'm just not sure. And the amount of exams I'll be taking would be immense.

How many GCSEs are you doing? Could you do Russian instead of another GCSE? It's the number of good grades the counts at GCSE level, not so much the subjects and if you speak it, it would be an easy good grade to get.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending