The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
HarisF1
For the graph equation,

T=2pi sqrt (H-h)/g

T^2 = 4pi^2 (H-h)/g

So T^2 = a - bh = H*4pi^2/g - (h)*4pi^2/g

Haha! Wow. I wrote that as a total guess. I was sure I had done it wrong.

I love you!
Surely the difference between an A and a U isnt only 16 marks?! :|
Reply 22
So, what did you guys get for the first question?
Reply 23
Adamshields
Surely the difference between an A and a U isnt only 16 marks?! :|

Mmhmm. Very few people do really well, very few people do really badly. The vast majority are bunched up in the middle, hence those sorts of boundaries.
Reply 24
HarisF1
So, what did you guys get for the first question?

Can't remember what numbers I got, but I know my method. I used distance/time to work out the speed, and put that into 0.5mv2 to calculate the kinetic energy.

Then to work out the % used in breaking, I calculated the power (P=IV), multiplied that by 8 (car breaked for 8 seconds) and divided by the kinetic energy calculated in the first part; then just multiplied by 100.
did the question ask specifically for the % ? or just the efficiency?
Reply 26
I got 30ms-1 for velocity, then 720000 for the kinetic energy

Then I got 1.2% as the efficiency.
Reply 27
percentage.
HarisF1
I got 30ms-1 for velocity, then 720000 for the kinetic energy

Then I got 1.2% as the efficiency.

Same.

I could not do the gravity questions about jupiter. Made a right hash of them. And couldn't remember the differences between the types of forces. But other that that I thought it was all good.
Reply 29
Wenzel
Can't remember what numbers I got, but I know my method. I used distance/time to work out the speed, and put that into 0.5mv2 to calculate the kinetic energy.

Then to work out the % used in breaking, I calculated the power (P=IV), multiplied that by 8 (car breaked for 8 seconds) and divided by the kinetic energy calculated in the first part; then just multiplied by 100.

Yeh same as me. I just looked at the first question was like eh?? Finally found out u was 30ms though. What did you guys put for the written part.....the coil one.

Overall, that was a hard paper imo - much harder than last years where I thought 51 for an A was very generous. I missed out last questions, probs lost about 5 marks on the graph and also the capcitence questions about time etc. All in all, I think I won't be getting an A so am HOPING I can get a B to get into my insurance :frown: .... otherwise i'm gonna be devastated.

Why this year, I mean mod 4 was ten times harder than previous years and so was the synoptic. Pfff.
damn, i put the efficiency in decimal not %.... **** every single mark matters for me
Reply 31
i cant remember for the percentage i think i put 4.8%,:s-smilie:
Reply 32
So far, it seems I'm correct in the ones i've written!

What about the forces on the coil?

I had no idea, so I made something up.
Reply 33
First time round, I got that.

Only 'cos I found the deceleration by s/t^2

Which was definitely wrong.
Reply 34
I used F=BQv for the coil, complete guess, said there was Magnetic Field from the magnet B, flux was being cut and rate of that induced charge/current Q and the thing was moving so had a velocity v, therefore meaing a force was produced. Which i said opposed the motion.

Very Very dodgey physics and probably wrong....
Reply 35
the question at the end i fink, asks describe how quark stucture changes for the equation p + p = helium + positron + neutrino

is that equation right? and will i get the marks if i said that 2 up quarks fuse to form a up quark and down quark? (as 1 proton and 1 neutron in helium) :s-smilie: or am i completely wrong?
HarisF1

I had no idea, so I made something up.

I did that on practically every question!
A few show that questions were good, but Im messed up most stuff.
Reply 37
I said something along those lines...

As a current passes through the coil, a magnetic force is induced which pushes against the permanent magnet, creating an opposing force.

Lol.
Reply 38
HarisF1
For the mass one,

Do g= Gm/r for both bodies.

g = G*1040 / r

and

g =G*1/ r

Thats it.

r is the value calculated in the earlier part (minus) The zero g distance for the sun, and the zero g distance for jupiter

It gives an answer like 0.03* 10^-34

Which is zero.

I actually derived the distance - I let 'd' be the distance from the zero potential to jupiter and then equated g(jupiter) and g(sun) letting R(jupiter) =d and R(sun) = (distance from jupiter to sun)-d
Do some fiddly bits and you get the 'd' as what they asked for.

Only part of that I couldn't do at all was 1 (b). Not a clue. Lenz's law? God knows what was going on with that question.

That said, I didn't really like the question with the power output and solar panel - where you had to calculate the area under the graph, which took forever. Also, I hate the box boundary on the graph question - made things slightly difficult. I got a value of 9.67 ish for 'g', so meh.

I got the feeling it was an ok paper, really made you think - last question, for example.
Reply 39
One of the Up quarks changes to a down quark, but that equation seems perfect to me. That's how I did it.

Latest