The Student Room Group

Doctors Note - cost

Hi - Sorry I'm not sure if this is in the right forum but its health related..

Right, I managed to catch a nastly viral coldy type thing right before my exams and as I have quite bad asthma and hayfever this time of year its really knocked me for six, and it really affected me in the run up for exams - lack of sleep and just general ill feeling, gasping for breath.. I went to the Asthma nurse and she gave me stronger asthma medication and note for exams to apply for special consideration (normally I wouldn't bother but I had 3 exams the following day and really struggled to revise.)

Anyhows, that was rejected by my exams officer so I had to get a doctors note which after many phonecalls and much persuasion she agreed to do apparently its 'not something they do' and she said I would have to pay £16. I agreed because it was quite short notice, expecting an official certificate type thing and all it turned out to be was a couple of typed lines and a signature - for £16!

Is this charge normal? Is she allowed to do this as an NHS doctor? I'm not even sure if it will be accepted either because its quite vague!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Umm..

They're normally free.
Reply 2
I got charged £15 for a doctors note just before my Jan exams. Must have been the easiest £15 he's earned as it was only like 2 sentences long.
Reply 3
Silver Fox
Umm..

They're normally free.

No, there is normally a charge for a note for any illness under a week.

You are supposed to be able to self certify for work purposes for any illness under a week. If work insists on a certificate anyway *they* should be paying, as this is considered an unnecessary private service.

The OP's circumstances are a bit different to notes for work, but this is still not a service specified in GPs' contracts, so is considered private and attracts a charge. You could (and should IMO) ask the exams officer to pay this fee if they are not satisfied with a self certificate... so I hope you've kept the receipt.
Reply 4
Yeh my local GP charges 20 quid to sign something!
So yes, it's to be expected really :smile:
Reply 5
I was charged £10 for a slip of paper, a note with dodgy photocopying along the lines of "___________ is unwell with __________ and will be away from work for ___________ days. The Surgery"
Reply 6
I had a doctors note for prettymuch exactly the same purpose (i'd been quite ill and it had quite a bad effect on my learning etc) but it was free... i don't really see how they can charge you for that, or maybe i just had a nice doctor, who can tell!
Reply 7
Som charge, some dont. Mine charges but didnt charge me when i needed one.
Reply 8
I know doctors who charge £40 for such a letter.
Reply 9
Don't think mine charge "/

They do charge you £35 however if you want to get a passport/provisional thing signed. >_>
Mine has started charging in the last six months; I was shocked when I saw the notice, especially seeing as the note takes about ten seconds (as someone said above, dodgy photocopy!) and costs £10...
My Doctors don't charge =/
I've been charged £10, £5 and nothing for doctor's notes from the same doctor at different times. It's up to your GP to decide how much it'll cost, if anything..
Reply 13
I got charged £180 by my doc to write a leter saying that i don't really have athsma, and hence diving wasn't going to kill me. Count yourself lucky!
I never knew you had to pay for these notes, how ridiculous.
yup i think its a fairly recent thing though - not entirely sure.
Reply 16
I've never been charged for a doctor's note.
I never knew this, thats such a rip off. Not even celebrities charge for their signature... though you can't get out of as many things with a celebs sig.
Reply 18
I've had loads and never been charged...
Reply 19
Phantom Phoenix
Mine has started charging in the last six months; I was shocked when I saw the notice, especially seeing as the note takes about ten seconds (as someone said above, dodgy photocopy!) and costs £10...

Petit chou
I never knew this, thats such a rip off. Not even celebrities charge for their signature... though you can't get out of as many things with a celebs sig.

You ever tried to get a solicitor to sign a legal document? They ever have the audacity to charge you for it?

As said above, this isn't considered NHS work and as such doctors don't get paid for it. You wouldn't expect a solicitor or an architect or a dentist to do that, why do you think doctors should?

Latest