The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Official University of York Applicants Thread 2020

Scroll to see replies

Is it just me that doesn't quite understand the "Golden Ticket" offer and open day invite sent through the post for offer holders? I got one today and to be honest it just seems a bit of a waste considering we get told online when we get offers.
University of York
York
Reply 61
Hi guys. I'm a 1st year BA Social and Political Sciences (SPS) student at the uni and if you have any questions regarding SPS and similar courses or just about the uni and the application process in general, I'll do my best to answer. :smile:

- JT
Original post by Treetop321
Is it just me that doesn't quite understand the "Golden Ticket" offer and open day invite sent through the post for offer holders? I got one today and to be honest it just seems a bit of a waste considering we get told online when we get offers.

lol same. I just see it as a way of the unis buttering us up in any way possible so we'll choose them
How long after you applied did you receive an offer? Just wondering how quick York are with their responses.
Reply 64
Original post by BenRichardPoole
How long after you applied did you receive an offer? Just wondering how quick York are with their responses.

It really depends on the circumstances, nobody knows. This time last year I sent my application off on 5th November and I got a response back from York in 2 days. 🙂
My daughters applied for physics and astrophysics masters. 4th of October. Off to York tonight as the interview is tomorrow. Have noticed through TSR forums that not all subjects require interviews and all unis are different in their timeline of responses back.
Its been mixed for my daughter too. one uni offered within 5 days, another took 3 weeks before offering an interview, an another were still awaiting on. I wouldn't wonder too much on how long they take, as long at you got an acknowledgement they have had your application, you know its got there ok :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by Ghostlady
My daughters applied for physics and astrophysics masters. 4th of October. Off to York tonight as the interview is tomorrow. Have noticed through TSR forums that not all subjects require interviews and all unis are different in their timeline of responses back.
Its been mixed for my daughter too. one uni offered within 5 days, another took 3 weeks before offering an interview, an another were still awaiting on. I wouldn't wonder too much on how long they take, as long at you got an acknowledgement they have had your application, you know its got there ok :smile:

Good luck to your daughter for her MA application and the interview itself. On a general level, unis and its respective departments will take time to make acknowledgements to applications (some don’t even make acknowledgements at all) and to make a decision on the application itself. :smile:
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Good luck to your daughter for her MA application and the interview itself. On a general level, unis and its respective departments will take time to make acknowledgements to applications (some don’t even make acknowledgements at all) and to make a decision on the application itself. :smile:

Thank you :smile: I will pass that on. She really likes this uni because of the astrocampus on site and the facilities and the collegiate system. fingers crossed :crossedf:
Reply 68
Thank you :smile: I will pass that on. She really likes this uni because of the astrocampus on site and the facilities and the collegiate system. fingers crossed :crossedf:

You’re welcome! :smile:
Original post by Treetop321

Oh boy, wasn't it so extra??

I still thought it was really cute, though. Probably just another bid to get us to firm them.
Reply 70
Would someone upload a picture of the golden ticket thing? I'm currently studying at York, and it wasn't a thing when I applied. I only ever got stuff in the post buttering me up from Essex... not that I'm complaining, I hate getting letters rather than emails aha.
Original post by Darelz
Would someone upload a picture of the golden ticket thing? I'm currently studying at York, and it wasn't a thing when I applied. I only ever got stuff in the post buttering me up from Essex... not that I'm complaining, I hate getting letters rather than emails aha.

Sure thing.

It's really nothing crazy, just two pieces of paper with a cute design.

Still a nice thought, though.

Update : Had a fab time at York today. We had a guests day planned for us whilst the applicants were doing labs, tours and interviews. The physics dept really made the students feel welcome, and my daughter felt at ease with the interview because of that. Thoroughly enjoyed the tour of campus and the department and was great chatting with the students and leaning more about dissertations, societies, internships etc. Anyone who has upcoming interviews here, York is great and very well organised and they do make you feel less nervous and very welcome :smile:
Reply 73
Update : Had a fab time at York today. We had a guests day planned for us whilst the applicants were doing labs, tours and interviews. The physics dept really made the students feel welcome, and my daughter felt at ease with the interview because of that. Thoroughly enjoyed the tour of campus and the department and was great chatting with the students and leaning more about dissertations, societies, internships etc. Anyone who has upcoming interviews here, York is great and very well organised and they do make you feel less nervous and very welcome :smile:

Glad to hear! 🙂 Hopefully there’s a feedback form or something so the uni can pass the positive feedback to the physics team and those organising the postgraduate stuff.
Reply 74

Glad to hear! 🙂 Hopefully there’s a feedback form or something so the uni can pass the positive feedback to the physics team and those organising the postgraduate stuff.

Original post by Calliso
Sure thing.

Can confirm as a current 1st year student that I got a similar card that says ‘You’re Exceptional’ when I applied to the uni and got an offer albeit the design was different. Never got another card congratulating me for getting an offer though. Good luck to everyone else with their application to the uni. 🙂
Reply 75
Original post by Calliso
Sure thing.

Awh that's kinda cute. Cheesy, but cute. :h:

There was a feedback form for both guest and student which we both filled in. UPDATE: very very quick! they came back with an offer this evening at about 6pm. only 2 days :smile:
Reply 77
There was a feedback form for both guest and student which we both filled in. UPDATE: very very quick! they came back with an offer this evening at about 6pm. only 2 days :smile:

Nice - I'm sure the uni will take on board both positive and negative feedback. Congratulations to your daughter for her offer to study for a MA! :smile:She'll definitely enjoy her time in York.
Nice - I'm sure the uni will take on board both positive and negative feedback. Congratulations to your daughter for her offer to study for a MA! :smile:She'll definitely enjoy her time in York.

Thank you :smile:
Hi I’m Rhiannon. I have also applied to Cambridge, St Andrews, Nottingham (where I have an offer) and Edinburgh. I have an offer for History and History of Art!!!! York was just so lovely on the open day and the academics I were amazing!I am currently studying History, English literature and History of Art A levels
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest