The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Official University of York Applicants Thread 2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rhnnnwrrn
Hi I’m Rhiannon. I have also applied to Cambridge, St Andrews, Nottingham (where I have an offer) and Edinburgh. I have an offer for History and History of Art!!!! York was just so lovely on the open day and the academics I were amazing!I am currently studying History, English literature and History of Art A levels

Hi Rhiannon,

We're glad you enjoyed the Open Day and had such a positive experience! Good luck with your A levels and we hope you choose York!

Let me know if you have any questions about living and studying in York.

Steph :h:
University of York
York
Anyone know of any good independent clothing shops in York. Just got an offer and most likely will firm it. Just was wondering what the independent scene was like to get me exited.
Reply 82
@University of York how long after a physics interveiw should it take to see if I receive an offer?
Reply 83
Original post by BenRichardPoole
Anyone know of any good independent clothing shops in York. Just got an offer and most likely will firm it. Just was wondering what the independent scene was like to get me exited.

Not 100% sure as a current student but I recommend exploring the city centre and definitely The Shambles if you're after an excellent array of independent shops etc. :smile:
Reply 84
Original post by bellell
@University of York how long after a physics interveiw should it take to see if I receive an offer?

Unfortunately, the university wouldn't be able to say how long it will take for the physics department to make a decision on your application following your interview because it totally depends and nobody actually knows. Just be patient, you will hear back from the university regarding a decision on your application very soon. :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 85
Thanks for your reply! I haven't actually had my interview yet, I was just curious. Thanks again though 😀
Original post by bellell

Hi there,

I'm afraid it varies between applicants, so I can't give a definitive answer. Good luck with your interview!

Reply 87
Original post by University of York
Hi there,

I'm afraid it varies between applicants, so I can't give a definitive answer. Good luck with your interview!

Thanks 😀
Original post by bellell
Thanks 😀

Hi, My daughter had her physics and astrophysics interview last week at York. We was advised it can take up to 3 weeks from when the interview took place to getting a confirmation of offer. The interview process we really good, the guests had their own timetable of events, and the students had theirs and we met at the end during a mini lecture. Dinner was included and there was a tour of the uni, plus the department and astrocampus. And the students are super helpful in answering questions too as well as the staff. They will make you feel very welcome and at ease, so when the interview comes, your already feeling at home with the uni :smile: Wishing you the best of luck :smile:
Any current students tell me how they find York with an unbiased opinion 😁
Reply 90

I'm currently in my 3rd year of studying psychology at York, so feel free to ask me any questions!
Original post by alice0502
Name? Alice
Course? Global Development
Also applying at? Reading, Leeds, Birmingham & Warwick
Currently studying? Politics, geography & computing
Any questions about life at York? Is it easy to get a job in the area?

Ahhh I got an offer today! AAB or ABB with a C in EPQ 🙂
Reply 92

Currently a 1st year student studying Social and Political Sciences and happy to answer any questions.
Reply 93
Original post by Ghostlady
Hi, My daughter had her physics and astrophysics interview last week at York. We was advised it can take up to 3 weeks from when the interview took place to getting a confirmation of offer. The interview process we really good, the guests had their own timetable of events, and the students had theirs and we met at the end during a mini lecture. Dinner was included and there was a tour of the uni, plus the department and astrocampus. And the students are super helpful in answering questions too as well as the staff. They will make you feel very welcome and at ease, so when the interview comes, your already feeling at home with the uni :smile: Wishing you the best of luck :smile:

Thanks so much! All the best of luck to your daughter!
Emelia Rhodes
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
Course is History of art with a year abroad
Bristol, Leeds, Nottingham, Liverpool
Currently studying Fine Art, Philosophy & Ethics and Sociology.
I absolutely adored York and loved the open afternoon, I found it so helpful, the city is beautiful and the university just seems so amazing. My friend is also applying for a joint english and philosophy course. I was just wondering if we were both lucky enough to secure a place, what would the possibilities be of living in the same building or area?
Thanks so much :smile:
Reply 95
Original post by emelia150
Emelia Rhodes
Nuneaton, Warwickshire
Course is History of art with a year abroad
Bristol, Leeds, Nottingham, Liverpool
Currently studying Fine Art, Philosophy & Ethics and Sociology.
I absolutely adored York and loved the open afternoon, I found it so helpful, the city is beautiful and the university just seems so amazing. My friend is also applying for a joint english and philosophy course. I was just wondering if we were both lucky enough to secure a place, what would the possibilities be of living in the same building or area?
Thanks so much :smile:

Hey Emelia. Good luck to you and your friend with your application to study here and at other institutions. You can request to live together in the same building/area when you get round to sorting accommodation. Glad you like York in terms of both the city and uni. :smile:
Original post by Calliso
Good afternoon!

My name's Annabelle, and I've just received a conditional offer from York to study English!

Other Universities I'm Applying to:
- Cambridge
- Durham
- Bristol
- Newcastle

A Level Subjects Studying:
- English Literature (A* Prediction)
- French (A prediction)
- History (A prediction)
- Extended Project Qualification (A* Prediction)

Looking forward to chatting with other applicants!

Hi Annabelle - congrats on your offer! i got a conditional offer for Politics and International Relations. just wondering what you did you EPQ on - i did mine on the impacts of 9/11 on terrorism. congratulations on your predicted grades - they are amazing!

also - what made you interested in York?
Holly
Original post by Holly Brunker
Hi Annabelle - congrats on your offer! i got a conditional offer for Politics and International Relations. just wondering what you did you EPQ on - i did mine on the impacts of 9/11 on terrorism. congratulations on your predicted grades - they are amazing!

also - what made you interested in York?
Holly

Hi Holly!

The title of my EPQ is 'Can we attribute Shakespeare's successes to someone other than Shakespeare?'; It spoke about the Anti-Stratfordian theory of Shakespearean authorship.

I'm mainly interested in York because it has a similar feel to that of Durham in my eyes, and I have taken a liking to the collegiate system (having applied to three of them).

And yourself?

Lovely to meet you!

- Annabelle
Original post by Calliso
Hi Holly!

The title of my EPQ is 'Can we attribute Shakespeare's successes to someone other than Shakespeare?'; It spoke about the Anti-Stratfordian theory of Shakespearean authorship.

I'm mainly interested in York because it has a similar feel to that of Durham in my eyes, and I have taken a liking to the collegiate system (having applied to three of them).

And yourself?

Lovely to meet you!

- Annabelle

Hey,That sounds really interesting EPQ subject! I'm interested in York because the course is amazing and also it's just a beautiful place!Yes the collegiate system sounds really interesting - I hadn't really heard of it before I looked at York but it is definitely a reason why this is my top choice. Do you know what college you like the look of the most? X
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Currently a 1st year student studying Social and Political Sciences and happy to answer any questions.

Hey! I have an offer to study Politics and International Relations at York, and I just wanted to ask a few questions if that's ok? What college are you in and do you think this is dependent on the subject you study? Also what is your opinion on self-catered vs. catered? Thank you and I hope the 1st year is going well! X

Quick Reply

Latest