The Student Room Group

A levels in credability order

I know this is going to be contraversial but iv had a go of listing the a level subjects in order of credability they receive. Firstly we have to define credability as the merit universities give the alevel on face value. Iv probably forgotten a few alevels so just mention them. Iv also catergerised them into 3 groups, well resprected, respected, not as much respected but still have some creditability as they require a decent amount of work

Further Mathematics
English Lit
Chemistry
Maths
Physics
English Lang
History
Music
Economics
Modern Foriegn langauages (French, German, Spanish)
English Joint
Geography
Statistics
Biology

Art
Electronics
Classical foriegn languages (Greek, Latin)
Philosophy
Classics
Religious Studies
Computing
Psycology
History of art
Design Technology: Product design
Government and politics
Socialogy

Business studies
Theatre studies
Law
Critical thinking
General studies
Media Studies
Drama
Sports studies
Film studies
Photography

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why are people so obsessed with assessing the 'credibility' of A levels? They're all difficult, they all involve hard work and dedication. *Some* universities may discriminate against *some* subjects to a certain extent, but declaring that English is somehow better than French, or Philosophy somehow inferior to Geography is just going over the top.
You missed out music :frown:
Reply 3
I wonder what subjects you do
Reply 4
Firstly, who cares? Some people worry so much about supposed reputation, it's ridiculous. Secondly, I bet if you ask anyone they would say joint English is more respected than Eng lang. And is general studies is better than media, how come most unis dont accept general but they accept media?
Reply 5
Excuse me, but what about electronics.

You may think that further maths is very credible, but you try to get into an art degree with it if you have no other art A levels.
Reply 6
Why is Biology only in the respected category? :mad:
Reply 7
!Laxy!
Why is Biology only in the respected category? :mad:

Cause this guy has no idea and it is a pretty pointless topic.
Reply 8
is History really that respected??
Reply 9
chats

YES :smile:
Reply 10
chats

Yes, it rocks! Hehe, ok maybe i'm a bit biased, but its a traditional subject thats really respected by lots of unis.
Reply 11
General Studies should be at the bottom of the list, Further Maths needs to be below Maths and Physics. Chemistry should be lower as well.
Reply 12
although i like your choices (:biggrin:), the idea is a little foolish.....plus, you've missed out IT, and have put Computing too high- two of the least credible ones around :biggrin:
Reply 13
!Laxy!
YES :smile:

cool :cool:

I asked because when i tell someone I do maths and physics they are like 'wow!' when I say I do history they say 'oh'
Reply 14
chats
cool :cool:

I asked because when i tell someone I do maths and physics they are like 'wow!' when I say I do history they say 'oh'

History is great. I dropped it last year because of the crappy topics we did for AS, but it's still a cool subject. And a million times more interesting than maths and physics
Reply 15
~Sam~
History is great. I dropped it last year because of the crappy topics we did for AS, but it's still a cool subject. And a million times more interesting than maths and physics

i'll accept physics is crap (sorry physicists, but i really hate it!), but i can't let you get away with saying those sorts of things about maths! :eek:
Reply 16
~Sam~

yeh it is cool, and the cooler people tend to be in my history class :cool:

ps for mockel: Physics ROCKS!!!!
Reply 17
fine, but only cos you're a mate :biggrin:
Yes, history is great! :biggrin: I hate maths and physics too.

Subjects I think should be placed higher:
*Biology (surely more respected than RS or statistics??)
*Computing ought to be higher
*Politics
*Business studies

Subjects I think should be placed lower:
*RS
*Economics
*Statistics
*Art
*Philosophy

What about history of art and critical thinking?
How does classics differ from classical languages?
Reply 19
Like all of these things its a load of crap produced by ignorance. The irony of it is subjects like media studies are probably harder than many of those listed at the top.

Latest