The Student Room Group

Is downloading anime legal?

Hi, I have been researching on the topic, and I think a discussion would be better to clear me out. I love watching anime and downloading to watch it, is my preference. Can anyone let me know if downloading anime is ok or not? If it is limited to certain country then which ones? Help is appreciated.
It should be, because it implies you watch it.
Original post by daughterofaprince
Hi, I have been researching on the topic, and I think a discussion would be better to clear me out. I love watching anime and downloading to watch it, is my preference. Can anyone let me know if downloading anime is ok or not? If it is limited to certain country then which ones? Help is appreciated.

Well, downloading is no less legal than streaming if that's what you're asking. But both are notably illegal though since it's piracy.

But everyone does it anyway. Sometimes out of necessity (not available on mainstream legal sites), sometimes because they just don't want to pay for it. Either way it's not a crime anyone ever gets prosecuted for in this context so don't worry

Not unless you are downloading it from a legal source i.e you paid for it otherwise you do not have the legal right to download it.
For all it's whining about "intellectual property theft" by China, the EU actually in effect permits piracy!

It has the highest piracy rate of any continent - yet has anyone in the EU ever been jailed for downloading illegally obtained files?

But why would you even want to watch Anime? Japanese cartoons are of notoriously low quality.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by AngeryPenguin
But why would you even want to watch Anime? Japanese cartoons are of notoriously low quality.

@Spookyayu come forth
Reply 6

Depends where you are downloading it from. In short if you're not paying at all it probably isn't legal. If its from a streaming service though it totally is.
Some might only be available in certain countries, but that's more of a secondary issue to the whole paying thing. If you're paying you won't be able to find the ones not available in your country. If you are finding them you're probably already illegally downloading them.

I think I have answered that in my post, I enjoy watching anime. Don't you think you are trying to attack anime fans? People have their preferrences.
For all it's whining about "intellectual property theft" by China, the EU actually in effect permits piracy!

It has the highest piracy rate of any continent - yet has anyone in the EU ever been jailed for downloading illegally obtained files?

shush man

Quick Reply

Latest