The Student Room Group

Mechanics in engineering VS in Physics

So, i was wondering how different is the mechanics between a mechanical engineering degree be and a Physics degree. I understand that without a doubt, mechanical engineering would have much more, but how far behind does the mechanics taught in physics lag? Does the mechanics in Physics still give you enough insight so get an engineering job or not?

Thanks 😁
Original post by Uzair787
So, i was wondering how different is the mechanics between a mechanical engineering degree be and a Physics degree. I understand that without a doubt, mechanical engineering would have much more, but how far behind does the mechanics taught in physics lag? Does the mechanics in Physics still give you enough insight so get an engineering job or not?

What gets called "mechanics" can be very different on a Mech Eng and a Physics course. In the 1st year they are likely to be fairly similar and cover basic Newtonian mechanics and translating and rotating objects. However they then start to diverge and both will get "complex", though in rather different ways.

Physics will add Lagrangian Mechanics and the Hamiltonian which consider minimum energy solutions in a very mathematical way, and use this as a route to introducing quantum mechanics and Eigenvalue problems. This can also lead on to important Symmetries and Conservation Laws and how things move and respond to vactor potentials, e.g. objects and charges moving in a complex multi-dimensional field. Things like 4-vectors and relativity can also get mixed into "machanics".

In Mech Eng you are more likely to be worrying about finite element analysis (bits of an object moving, stretching, bending) and how to incluide real world physical properties of materials in you calculations. Relativistic effects are rather less likely here :smile:.

So different, and both get quite challenging in their own way.
The mechanics in a physics course will be more "fundamental", whilst in mechanical engineering you'll be taught in a way that facilitates solving engineering problems.
Original post by Uzair787

Thanks 😁

Physics probably has more mechanics in it, actually, if you choose suitable options. In physics, mechanics will likely be very pure and theoretical, whereas in engineering it'll typically be more applied to "real-world" scenarios, i.e. common industrial type problems. It'll be narrower in focus than physics, but more useful for typical engineering applications.
Science: finding laws to describe observations in our environment.

Engineering: Using science to make stuff, solve "everyday" (in the loosest sense of the word) problems.

From my understanding, it's probably just easier to think about which course appeals more to you rather than what has more or what (they often crossover and diverge at all sorts of places and will also depend on individual courses at each uni).

If you want the "maths-y" part of physics (like where you solve equations, integrate and stuff) but you don't enjoy approximating pi to 3 or writing your answers to 3sf then do physics.

If you just want to make stuff and solve problems more grounded in reality using science (basically, not ignoring air resistance, ignoring the science as long as the product works) then do engineering.

At least, that's how I chose. Also consider that, though they have similar graduate destinations, engineering is more like signing up for a profession where as physics is just doing more physics.

Quick Reply

Latest