The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
epitome
The lack of price difference between rooms is something the majority of us view as a *positive* thing! It means that, no matter what your monetary situation, *everyone* can get a really nice room at some point in their time here. We have a closer 'banding' of rooms than at many other colleges (that is, there's less difference between the best and the worst, because our accommodation is really rather good). The way it tends to work is that your room gets better as you go through (because we choose our own rooms in 2nd & 3rd yr).
We don't like the system where the more wealthy students get good accommodation and the less wealthy ones have to stick with a hole -- that's not what Newnham's about. We also don't have a 'Scholars' Ballot' (where those who get 1sts get better accommodation).

Most of us like the equality in the rent.

ah, i do love how college loyalty sticks red hot pokers in the eyes of common sense.
Reply 21
Chewwy
ah, i do love how college loyalty sticks red hot pokers in the eyes of common sense.

Well, I certainly wouldn't want a Scholars' Ballot; and I don't like unequal rent. They were both factors in my happiness in applying to Newnham. So it's hardly college loyalty, per se. People just want different things. Fine.
Reply 22
Equal rents and room ballots are good things, I don't see why anyone would think they're bad... It means everyone has an equal chance to get a good room, and if you have a terrible room one year it will be made up by having a great room the year after. The only people who would disagree would be those who have enough money to buy the best rooms every year, which I don't, and I think such people should go throw themselves off a tower.
Reply 23
Sparkky
Equal rents and room ballots are good things, I don't see why anyone would think they're bad... It means everyone has an equal chance to get a good room, and if you have a terrible room one year it will be made up by having a great room the year after. The only people who would disagree would be those who have enough money to buy the best rooms every year, which I don't, and I think such people should go throw themselves off a tower.

if that was directed towards me, then epitome nowhere suggested that the ballot was flipped the next year. i don't dispute that's a good thing.

i don't see how equal rents are good though.. firstly for the obvious reason that's it's borderline communist - do you also think that all houses should be equally priced? it's silly. secondly, by definition, half of the rooms under such a system will be OVERPRICED, and it will be the case that there will be poor students in the college who will be essentially subsidising the accommodation of the rich.

i think i put forward a convincing argument.
Reply 24
Sparkky
In Robinson, I think the different rent band system works quite well but this might be particular to Robinson having lots of houses; if you're moving in with your friends and you're stuck with the box room, you'll be paying less than the one who gets the room big enough to perform a gymnastic routine. All the rooms in college are very similar, having been built at the same time, and are in similar rent bands, except for the 3 rooms that are ludicrously big or the 3 that are very small.

I wouldn't've minded having scholars' rooms but then I'm sure Chewwy wouldn't either :p:
Reply 25
Chewwy
epitome nowhere suggested that the ballot was flipped the next year.

Sorry, I assumed you had some knowledge of how the random ballot system in Cambridge worked...(very similarly in all colleges that use it). Perhaps you should know more about it. I did, however, say that the rooms tend to get better and better as you go through (in the random ballot system). This means that whilst, yes, rent is too high for the smaller rooms, everyone gets a lovely room at some point too. So it evens out, and gives everyone the opportunity to have the same thing.

Borderline communist? Going a bit far. But, really, do you know *anything* about the history of Newnham? :rolleyes: We're not really about elitism or exclusion (except of men from our institution...).

As for the Scholars' Ballot...I don't see why domestic and academic should be confused. It is simply irrelevant, and there are other incentive systems which are more appropriate. Namely, scholarships & prizes.
Reply 26
Chewwy
if that was directed towards me, then epitome nowhere suggested that the ballot was flipped the next year. i don't dispute that's a good thing.

i don't see how equal rents are good though.. firstly for the obvious reason that's it's borderline communist - do you also think that all houses should be equally priced? it's silly. secondly, by definition, half of the rooms under such a system will be OVERPRICED, and it will be the case that there will be poor students in the college who will be essentially subsidising the accommodation of the rich.

i think i put forward a convincing argument.

At least you're modest. No system is perfect, but I do genuinely believe everyone should be equal in a college environment. I only agree with ballots if they're then flipped, as then you will get an OVERPRICED room one year and an UNDERPRICED room the next. See what I've done there?

Also, I'm confused by your profile. You can't study Biology at Trinity Oxford. Have you put Oxford in a I-go-to-Cambridge kinna way?
Reply 27
Sparkky
At least you're modest. No system is perfect, but I do genuinely believe everyone should be equal in a college environment.

why do people think Cambridge is some haven of equality? it isn't, and nor should it aim to be. remember this is the place where they pin exam results up in the middle of town for all to see. This is a place of opulent master's lodges, high tables, and the right to insult students of inferior subjects at will.

I only agree with ballots if they're then flipped, as then you will get an OVERPRICED room one year and an UNDERPRICED room the next. See what I've done there?

oh right. so if you admit that's the net result... wouldn't the glaringly obvious thing to do be to simply charge what the room is actually worth? i've yet to meet anyone who hates their room here, so the whole 'poor people shouldn't have to live in squalor' argument doesn't really wash. people should get the CHOICE. i mean, if someone wants to save money, shouldn't they have the choice to have a cheaper than average room every year?

Also, I'm confused by your profile. You can't study Biology at Trinity Oxford. Have you put Oxford in a I-go-to-Cambridge kinna way?
i don't know what you're talking about
epitome

As for the Scholars' Ballot...I don't see why domestic and academic should be confused. It is simply irrelevant, and there are other incentive systems which are more appropriate. Namely, scholarships & prizes.

well, a scholars ballot works out cheaper for the college, but is probably of the same financial worth to students. there's also something a little unsettling to me about directly getting cash for exam results. and of course, the university is an academic institution - so it seems fair for it to encourage academic success in every way it can.
Reply 28
The thing is, there has to be some order for people to choose rooms. This can either be random or due to academic success. I feel strongly it should be random.

Oxbridge colleges are academic institutions, where academic success is rewarded, I don't see how anyone would have anything against someone who has done very well getting a cash scholarship. Yes colleges have been unfair places in the past (who you know not what you know) hence remnants of the old systems, such as high table etc. These are tradition, but colleges should be about fairness in the education received, rooms you get, how you are treated. Yes some people do better than others, but everyone should be treated fairly.

And let me clarify. You cannot study Biology in Trinity College Oxford. We do not have Biology tutors, we do not admit Undergrads or Grads to study Biology. ie you are lying about college, university or subject.
Reply 29
epitome
The lack of price difference between rooms is something the majority of us view as a *positive* thing! It means that, no matter what your monetary situation, *everyone* can get a really nice room at some point in their time here. We have a closer 'banding' of rooms than at many other colleges (that is, there's less difference between the best and the worst, because our accommodation is really rather good). The way it tends to work is that your room gets better as you go through (because we choose our own rooms in 2nd & 3rd yr).
We don't like the system where the more wealthy students get good accommodation and the less wealthy ones have to stick with a hole -- that's not what Newnham's about. We also don't have a 'Scholars' Ballot' (where those who get 1sts get better accommodation).

Most of us like the equality in the rent.

And yes, it is going up, in the short-term at least. It needs to. As for *how*...that's still under discussion. And don't forget that there are always brsaries available to help people out (more people than most realise, actually) -- if only people would f'ing *apply* for them!

On what basis are you able to choose your own rooms in 2nd and 3rd?
Reply 30
Sparkky
And let me clarify. You cannot study Biology in Trinity College Oxford. We do not have Biology tutors, we do not admit Undergrads or Grads to study Biology. ie you are lying about college, university or subject.

Don't get het up about it. He goes to Cambridge. I think he does Maths.

Thicky
On what basis are you able to choose your own rooms in 2nd and 3rd?

We're put in a completely random order. In 2nd yr you pick your room in that order. In 3rd yr, the list is completely reversed, so the people at the bottom in 2nd yr pick first.

So, 3rd yrs have first pick on rooms, which is why they get the nicest ones. Then 2nd yrs pick. Then 1st yrs are allocated - in a random order - to those that are left. We can, in 2nd & 3rd yr, choose to remain in the same room. ("Squatting").

The only irregularity in the order is that we have 10-15 'substandard' rooms (they're actually absolutely fine, just not as nice as the rest of our accommodation [which is comparatively very good]). If we have students in those rooms in their first year, they're put to the top of the ballot for their 2nd yr to mak up for it. In 3rd yr they're put back in their random (original) order again.

Of course, because most of our rooms are really nice, and because they offer quite different things, what people consider 'the best' really does vary. Quite a lot of people go for the rooms with sinks and fridges. Others go for one with a view of our gorgeous gardens. Others make sure they're close to the best kitchen or bathroom facilities. Some just want to be on the same corridor as their friends. What this means, in reality, is that the extremely good rooms are often not picked for one reason or another (someone might prefer a good view to an en suite, for example; or really generous desk space instead of being next to friends) -- so every year some of our 1st yrs end up in the 'best' rooms in college (en suite, or with a balcony, or with a fridge, etc.). It's quite cool, really -- I like it!

Does that make sense?
Reply 31
epitome
het up about it.

wow, never heard that phrase before. i like.
Reply 32
Good, isn't it? Yummy 14th century word. :smile:
epitome
Good, isn't it? Yummy 14th century word. :smile:

14th century? Wow, I use it all the time :biggrin:

In terms of room rents, I quite like the idea of the standardised Newnham way, mostly because I'll be a poor student who won't be able to ever afford a really good room...
Reply 34
Zoedotdot
14th century? Wow, I use it all the time

Dude, you use plenty of C14th words on a daily basis. Unless you don't, in fact, speak English. And Shakespeare will pop up several times a day too. Cool, innit! :p:
epitome
Dude, you use plenty of C14th words on a daily basis. Unless you don't, in fact, speak English. And Shakespeare will pop up several times a day too. Cool, innit! :p:

:redface:

That previous post was shameful considering I did a linguistics course last year where I focused on evolution of language. Can we all just ignore my stupidity for now? :p: Het is a good word though :smile:
Reply 36
Zoedotdot
That previous post was shameful considering I did a linguistics course last year where I focused on evolution of language.

I did wonder how a linguist managed to say that! :biggrin: :p:
Still, I'm the one who once asked "Who was the monarch in Victorian times?", so I can't talk!
epitome
I did wonder how a linguist managed to say that! :biggrin: :p:
Still, I'm the one who once asked "Who was the monarch in Victorian times?", so I can't talk!

Ouch, that's quite embarrassing :biggrin: I think it's worse when you write something stupid because you've actually had time to think about it before posting it...
epitome
Borderline communist? Going a bit far. But, really, do you know *anything* about the history of Newnham? :rolleyes: We're not really about elitism or exclusion (except of men from our institution...).

:rofl:

Sparkky
Oxbridge colleges are academic institutions, where academic success is rewarded, I don't see how anyone would have anything against someone who has done very well getting a cash scholarship. Yes colleges have been unfair places in the past (who you know not what you know) hence remnants of the old systems, such as high table etc. These are tradition, but colleges should be about fairness in the education received, rooms you get, how you are treated. Yes some people do better than others, but everyone should be treated fairly.

I don't consider charging everyone the same amount for different rooms "fair". You can't force everyone to pay the same price and call that fair; some people are getting better rooms than others and not paying for the privilege, or, put the other way up, some people are granted access to fewer facilities and given worse rooms to live in and not reimbursed for this. Isn't that precisely unfairness? Equality would be if everyone paid the same price for the same type of room; second best is when everyone pays proportional to how good their room is.

Put it this way: there are people who'll want a good room in second year (one that's been underpriced) and a good room in third year. There are people who'll get it. This necessarily means that there are others who'll get a bad room in second year and a bad room in third year. Now, if the balloting system is fair, the latter person will pay less than the former. I don't think equality is something anyone would want in the latter person's shoes.
Reply 39
generalebriety
Put it this way: there are people who'll want a good room in second year (one that's been underpriced) and a good room in third year. There are people who'll get it. This necessarily means that there are others who'll get a bad room in second year and a bad room in third year. Now, if the balloting system is fair, the latter person will pay less than the former. I don't think equality is something anyone would want in the latter person's shoes.

But the point is that there are enough rooms in each band (say, great, very good, and good [as at Newnham]), so there are enough for the vast majority of people/everyone to have the 'right' kind of room. I agree that, over the 3 yr period, no-one should be paying disproportionately much or dispropoortionately little. The way it works, though, is that people have a choice, so they get to determine what is best for them. So, for instance, in the last 2 years for various reasons I've been offered a 'great' room; but on both occasions I've turned them down. According to the college judgement, I'd be getting better value for money on the rooms they offered (one was the biggest room in college, and the other was one of our very few en suites); but I wanted something different -- I'm not bothered about size, or in-room sinks, or my own toilet/shower; rather, my priorities are a good view and a lot of natural light. So in both cases I've opted for a 'worse' room (one 'good', the other'very good'), which is actually better for ME. I'm happy to pay the same rent as the people who are now in those 'great' rooms that were offered, because to me MY rooms have been 'great'.

You say that if some get good rooms in 2nd & 3rd year, others will get 'bad' rooms. Not necessarily the case at all -- you haven't factored in the fact that (a) there are enough 'good' rooms to go around for all 3rd yrs and most 2nd yrs; (b) we only actualy have 10-15 'bad' rooms (and they're actually still completely fine, just smaller than the other very generous rooms); (c) what different people consider good & less good is very different!

Does that make sense?!

Latest

Trending

Trending